Marner or Connor

Better hockey player: Mitch Marner or Kyle Connor

• Total voters

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Connor's defensive game has noticeably changed this year. Even just last night he broke up a play in the d-zone and zoomed up the ice to set up the Scheifele hat trick goal. In years past he would have just had his ass glued to the boards waiting for a breakout pass.

So he just started doing the absolute bare minimum 5 years into his career?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Conner was terrible defensively prior to this year and a good amount of that was due to him making piss poor decisions on his breakouts and playing with other defensively poor players like Wheeler and Schiefele. Once he went up with Dubois this year his play driving and defensive play really picked up. He is now average defensively in large part due to driving it out of his end at an elite level and not playing much in his end. Just like Ehlers on the Jets is average at best defensively but doesn't spend much time there so has great metrics.

For the question its tough, if Conner keeps this level of play up then I'd say its a coin flip.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So he just started doing the absolute bare minimum 5 years into his career?

Well given his coach has pretty much said his defense was great from day one hard to expect much of a change if you think your playing it correctly. I think playing with a defensive responsible center in Dubois helped him modify his game. When he was playing with players like Mark and Blake who cheat a lot in their end he emulated it.

Reactions: Dache

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Well given his coach has pretty much said his defense was great from day one hard to expect much of a change if you think your playing it correctly. I think playing with a defensive responsible center in Dubois helped him modify his game. When he was playing with players like Mark and Blake who cheat a lot in their end he emulated it.
Excellent thought out reply. Sad that it needs to be to such pessimistic comments

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I disagree. Also my comment was more of a parody of the one above mine. In all seriousness contracts aside it is Marner by a bit, however Marner has seemed to hit his peak while Connor is still improving. People using ainec in here are out to lunch.
Yet you still voted for Connor. It's so hard to take anything you say regarding a leaf with any tiny bit of realism because youre so emotionally attached to the Leafs and their fans that you cant even pretend to be objective.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
start giving reasons besides i say so. you are really becoming someone to ignore on these boards
Not sure what you mean. I’ve given reasons almost every time I’ve said my opinion. Usually that’s followed with someone ignoring, twisting and changing my words. You being one of those someone’s in the past.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Surprised this is as close as it is.
If someone started a

Who is better, "Auston Matthews vs Pierre Luc Dubois" poll, the results on this site would likely be 70/30 or 80/20.

When deep down, 100% of people who know anything about hockey know it should be unanimous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad