Marner or Connor

Better hockey player: Mitch Marner or Kyle Connor

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If it wasn't for the playoffs, Marner would be talked about a hell of a lot more. He's straight up elite and if he can figure it out and have his memorial cup performance in the NHL, man.

Reactions: Dominance

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Too close to tell. Depends if you want a goal scorer or playmaker.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They're from the same draft and Marner currently has 104 more career points than Connor in the regular season (379 points to 275) and 2 more points in the playoffs (35 to 32). They don't really play the same game but Marner's been in the league longer and scored at a higher clip. It's Marner.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
One is a proven top 5 point producer in the NHL. Connor is great but Marner is better AINEC

Reactions: 34

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If we aren't considering contracts I'd definitely go with Marner. Its closer if contracts are considered.

He gets underrated some because of his poor playoff performances.
Has lead the leafs in points in 3 of the last 4 years. Scored 94 points on his ELC. Was 4th in the NHL in points last year.
None of those are small feats. Doesn't rely on pace to buoy his reputation.

Mar 26, 2010
Marner is quite handily the better player here.

I do like Connors game though. He is a solid player.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I love Marner, he’s an amazing player. Connor is obviously the better all around player though.

Reactions: hn777

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I love Marner, he’s an amazing player. Connor is obviously the better all around player though.
Care to Define obviously for us in the back? What’s Connor ‘all around’ better at while we’re at it?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Care to Define obviously for us in the back? What’s Connor ‘all around’ better at while we’re at it?
Oh boy, it sure will be interesting to read about why penalty killing ISNT all that important for once.

And for the record this is Marner without even accounting for PK'ing (it is fairly unimportant for the most part). Connor is an elite first line winger. Marner is a superstar talent.

I think Marner came out of the gate a lot faster than Connor, but Connor's been closing that gap. It's probably still Marner today, but the gap isn't as noticeable as it was a few years ago.

Very fair statement, Connor has been steadily improving and is one of the great wingers in the game.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Connor is more balanced offensively, given that Marner isn’t much of a goal scorer, but outside of offense, Marner is much better. Connor is one of the worst defensive wingers in the game, and Marner is pretty good for one

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Connor is more balanced offensively, given that Marner isn’t much of a goal scorer, but outside of offense, Marner is much better. Connor is one of the worst defensive wingers in the game, and Marner is pretty good for one

Connor's defensive game has noticeably changed this year. Even just last night he broke up a play in the d-zone and zoomed up the ice to set up the Scheifele hat trick goal. In years past he would have just had his ass glued to the boards waiting for a breakout pass.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Stats over last 4 years:

Ppg
Marner 1.13 = 93 points

Connor 0.92 = 75 points

Gpg
Marner 0.31 = 25 goals

Connor 0.48 = 39 goals

So marner gets 18 more points but 14 less goals. I prefer total points over goals so I prefer marner.

Let's do another comparison using the same time frame:

Ppg
Matthews 1.14 = 93 points

Mack 1.29 = 105 points

Gpg
Matthews 0.65 = 54 goals

Mack 0.46 = 38 goals

So matthews gets 12 less points but scores 16 more goals. Once again, I prefer total points to goals so I'd go with Mack.

I know many leaf fans think goals are far more valuable than assists so they value auston over Mack. Therefore one should expect them to have the same stance with marner and Connor. But I seriously doubt it.

Reactions: Dache

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Stats over last 4 years:

Ppg
Marner 1.13 = 93 points

Connor 0.92 = 75 points

Gpg
Marner 0.31 = 25 goals

Connor 0.48 = 39 goals

So marner gets 18 more points but 14 less goals. I prefer total points over goals so I prefer marner.

Let's do another comparison using the same time frame:

Ppg
Matthews 1.14 = 93 points

Mack 1.29 = 105 points

Gpg
Matthews 0.65 = 54 goals

Mack 0.46 = 38 goals

So matthews gets 12 less points but scores 16 more goals. Once again, I prefer total points to goals so I'd go with Mack.

I know many leaf fans think goals are far more valuable than assists so they value auston over Mack. Therefore one should expect them to have the same stance with marner and Connor. But I seriously doubt it.
Pretty fair unless one of the players has a huge advantage in one area over another. Like a Bergeron level defensive ability or a Tom Wilson type toughness etc. that doesn’t make up 20ish points though. And doesn’t apply in this case either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad