Dreger: Marner negotiations could be a "battle"

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Leafs have two “cap experts” as assistant gms. Dreger “negotiations could be a battle”.

seriously... could be a battle. Of course they could be, he could go full Cody Franson. Same could be said about all players.

Dreger long ago lost his source for info. Now he's just another guy looking for clicks. Not inside information at all

Reactions: therealkoho

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Arguing over dollars now seems pointless. Hasn't it already came out that he's playing out his last elc year before negotiating or was that just an unsubstantiated rumor?

The main argument for the new contract is going to be this coming year. If he goes PPG+ as a lot of Leafs fans were speculating after his finish to the year, he'll likely be around or over 8. If he has around 70 in a full season, he'll probably be closer to 7ish.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Guess we shall see but funny how so many Leaf fans assumed he would get lower money and would take a discount etc.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guess we shall see but funny how so many Leaf fans assumed he would get lower money and would take a discount etc.

NHL players make most of their salary from playing the game; unlike a lot of different sports where players make the majority of their money from sponsorships.
Thinking an early 20 some year old kid will be taking a salary cut for a hometown discount is absurd. These guys don't know how long their playing careers are, they have to make all the money they can, as soon as they can.

When guys are that young, they're not taking discounts so the team can be productive. They have the twilight of their careers for things like that. His ask will be near that Draisaitl dollar amount. We'll see how Dubas works that down into the 7's.

Reactions: glovesave_35

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Huh....you must know a lot of different Leafs fans than i do, because the "actual" fans that i know assume he will get Pastarnak money....because, you know...they are comparable?

Reactions: loyaltotheend

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Huh....you must know a lot of different Leafs fans than i do, because the "actual" fans that i know assume he will get Pastarnak money....because, you know...they are comparable?

Look at past threads discussing him, Nylander and Matthews and what they will want and get and so many think he will be getting no more than $7M. He is likely to get more than that but time will tell. He will likely want to be no less than the second highest paid player on the Leafs.

member 105785

There is no way in hell Marner gets 10 million plus that is insane. 95% of his comparables who signed their first post ELC contracts recently are in the 6 to 7 million range.

ok 10 is excessive but if his camp thinks they deserve 10M per year then they could try and settle for 8, with Nylander at 7 and Marner at 8 and Matthews at 10 - 11 I just don't understand why everyone not on the active NHL roster and picks weren't available when the Leafs' 3 best players for the next decade were all making a combined $6M per year when they will be soon making a combined $30M per year.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Higher cap, more years of top line production before signing and likely more UFA years taken up. Would be shocked if he only got Pasta money.

Bruins somewhat gambled on Pastrnak but it's looking like a genius move now.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I've mentioned this before but the tank strategy that Toronto and other teams have tried doesn't work.

Teams spend a years telling their fans to be patient and keep doling out cash to watch brutal hockey because 'the future' is going to be better. Then they market the hell out of these kids that were picked early and tie the franchise to them and fans breathe 'finally'. But second contracts roll around and it's all in the players court as it becomes a PR nightmare for the team if they have the kid holding out or having to move him. Makes teams have to drop a tonne of their cap into players that aren't quite there yet.

The difference between Pastrnak and Marner and Eichel, etc. contracts is that the Bruins already had marquee players and never had to sell the fans on 'The Future'.
'Rebuilding' teams should really push in the next CBA to cap the number of years for second contracts.

We'll see it with Barzal. If the Isle keep Tavares Barzal will sign for $2M less than what he'll sign for if JT leaves. One is still JT's team and can talk their way through having to trade Barzal, bridge him, or have him sit out - the other is that they'll have no choice but to give Barzal what he asks for as they simply can't afford to lose him.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
And we also have the stats backing us up to make him take Pastrnak money.

Pastrnak got pastrnak money because he chose to take it. Most think the bruins kind of got a great deal in that regard considering how much draisatl had just signed for. If marner is demanding 9-10, That stinks for the leafs

RanfordForLife

Sep 12, 2017
honestly i ferl you will be looking at eichel and mcdavid money... the players are NO way eichel or mcdavid quality but with salary cap escalation and hungry agents and the Evander Kane overpay the days of thinking anything less than 9 mill and 12 mill respectively are likely gone

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
ok 10 is excessive but if his camp thinks they deserve 10M per year then they could try and settle for 8, with Nylander at 7 and Marner at 8 and Matthews at 10 - 11 I just don't understand why everyone not on the active NHL roster and picks weren't available when the Leafs' 3 best players for the next decade were all making a combined $6M per year when they will be soon making a combined $30M per year.

10+7+8 is 25M.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It's always funny watching other team's fans pray that Marner/Matthews/Nylander are going to demand huge contracts and the Leafs are just going to cave.

You guys realize that when it comes time for your RFAs to re-sign, they're going to use those contracts you were begging for as a comparable right?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's always funny watching other team's fans pray that Marner/Matthews/Nylander are going to demand huge contracts and the Leafs are just going to cave.

You guys realize that when it comes time for your RFAs to re-sign, they're going to use those contracts you were begging for as a comparable right?
With the exception of Connor McDavid who we know would get paid a lot and Leon Draisaitl who the Oilers overpaid for, generally stories like this never come true.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I see Marner settling for around 7 unfortunately, as much as I want to see Toronto overpay him to end up in cap hell, I just dont see it happening.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see marner compete for the Art Ross in the near future, fun player to watch.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Arguing over dollars now seems pointless. Hasn't it already came out that he's playing out his last elc year before negotiating or was that just an unsubstantiated rumor?

The main argument for the new contract is going to be this coming year. If he goes PPG+ as a lot of Leafs fans were speculating after his finish to the year, he'll likely be around or over 8. If he has around 70 in a full season, he'll probably be closer to 7ish.

I expert the Leafs brass will try to discredit Marner...benching, 4th line or even a trip to the AHL. All in an effort to get him on a cheap contract

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I see many predictions for AAV but no one is mentioning term, which is an important factor. Let's not forget that Patrnak only signed for 6 years. (6.666AAV/75 = 8.9% of the cap). That was after 1 season of 70 points

2018/19 cap is said to be between $78-82M, let's use the midpoint of $80m
2019/20 cap could go up 2.5 - 6%. let's go 3.5%=80 + 3.5% = $83M (the 5 year average Cap increase preceding this season would be 4.5%, so 3.5% is reasonable IMO)

At the same Cap% as Pastrnak = $83M x 8.9% = $7.4m x 6 years, higher if he signs for 8 years (more UFA years)...

If Marner has a 3rd consecutive strong year, say 72-75 points (slight increase from last year's 69 points), one could argue he would be more proven than Pastrnak was when he signed.

At a slightly higher Cap% than Pastnak = $83M x 10% = $8.3m x 6 years, higher if he signs for 8 years (more UFA years)

Now if the NHL announces expansion to Seattle before negotiations come to close, expect an even more aggressive proposal from the players... knowing that the Cap progressions above could be overly conservative.

My guestimates for Marner's next contract would be...
$50m/6=$8.33m AAV
$60m/7=$8.57m AAV
$70m/8=$8.75m AAV

There are factors still in play though... Cap increase this 2018/19 season, pending expansion announcement, and of course, the subsequent Cap increase for the 2019/20 season.

Reactions: Red

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad