Dreger: Marner negotiations could be a "battle"

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I know that, but the team can hold that over his head knowing the difference in value. He isn't getting well paid Bulgova, Intact and Red Bull deals in other markets. The Leafs will be well informed on that stuff, and use it to argue back. Especially if they come in asking for Eichel money.

He also doesn't have to deal with the media shit storms and pressure cooker atmosphere if he goes to another market. I guess it depends on what he values more and how greedy the kid and his greedy prick of an agent want to be.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So confusing.. So reading thru the threads, he doesnt get Drai money(8.5) cause he hasnt hit his point total and also doesnt get Eichel money(10) even tho he has surpassed his point total? .....Yet he is better or as good as them as per many fans on this site when looking through tons and tons of threads...

My head is spinning

All i know he is gonna get paid massively... Especially when he has a huge year next season. His point total is gonna be very high IMO

Reactions: PWJunior

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Seriously, what the H would Darren Dreger know? Although, this is the same site that has a multi page thread based on a Greg Brady tweet.

Anyone who says "What the H" gets a like from me.
By the way, your face looks like a flower...
Yea, a cauliflower.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Jesus. Marner (and Matthews and Nylander) will get paid what they deserve based on comparables.

The Leafs are in a nice spot. 3 high end, skilled, very talented young players....those are the players you want to “have” to pay!

These are the types of “problems” half of the nhl (if not more) are dying to have.

Chill out HF Boards!

Reactions: Raymoondo and Kelly

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Leafs have two “cap experts” as assistant gms. Dreger “negotiations could be a battle”.

seriously... could be a battle. Of course they could be, he could go full Cody Franson. Same could be said about all players.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Jesus. Marner (and Matthews and Nylander) will get paid what they deserve based on comparables.

The Leafs are in a nice spot. 3 high end, skilled, very talented young players....those are the players you want to “have” to pay!

These are the types of “problems” half of the nhl (if not more) are dying to have.

Chill out HF Boards!
You chill out. The majority of the Leafs fan base has been saying he will be locked up for 6-7 mil per for a while now, looks like that might not be the case.

Who knew, maybe not every Canadian in the NHL is dying to play for the Leafs like Toronto fans and media state.

member 105785

this is why I was confused that Leaf fans didn't want to trade the farm and anyone not named Marner, Nylander or Matthews for elite D and try go to deep before their ELC contracts expire. who can they afford now if both Marner and Matthews get 10+M each?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
this is why I was confused that Leaf fans didn't want to trade the farm and anyone not named Marner, Nylander or Matthews for elite D and try go to deep before their ELC contracts expire. who can they afford now if both Marner and Matthews get 10+M each?
There is no way in hell Marner gets 10 million plus that is insane. 95% of his comparables who signed their first post ELC contracts recently are in the 6 to 7 million range.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
It's weird seeing all the Leaf fans saying F that when throughout the year they all talk about him being BETTER than Eichel... hmm.... :confused:o_O

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I remember Leaf fans telling us that Draisaitl wasn't a center and that his numbers were inflated due to playing with Connor McDavid. But now that Marner wants 8 M+, they are saying how he doesn't deserve the same amount of money as Draisaitl since he doesn't play center and he isn't as productive.

Also, I see that many Leaf fans have been referencing the contract that David Pastrnak had signed the past offseason. You cannot really compare these two situations since the cap is going to be much higher next season, and how Marner is going to have to pay more in taxes thus he will command more. You would have to factor inflation and taxes to the cap hit which would make it closer to 8 M.

Marner also had a great playoff performance which is also going to increase his value. Pastrnak did not get to play in the playoffs when he signed his contract.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It's weird seeing all the Leaf fans saying F that when throughout the year they all talk about him being BETTER than Eichel... hmm.... :confused:o_O
Don't think I saw like any leaf fans in the GDT or on the leaf sub forum saying Marner is better than Eichel.. the people saying that or saying the oilers have to add in a Matthews for McDavid swap are obvious and terrible trolls.

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
I agree with yo
I remember Leaf fans telling us that Draisaitl wasn't a center and that his numbers were inflated due to playing with Connor McDavid. But now that Marner wants 8 M+, they are saying how he doesn't deserve the same amount of money as Draisaitl since he doesn't play center and he isn't as productive.

Also, I see that many Leaf fans have been referencing the contract that David Pastrnak had signed the past offseason. You cannot really compare these two situations since the cap is going to be much higher next season, and how Marner is going to have to pay more in taxes thus he will command more. You would have to factor inflation and taxes to the cap hit which would make it closer to 8 M.

Marner also had a great playoff performance which is also going to increase his value. Pastrnak did not get to play in the playoffs when he signed his contract.
I agree with your take on the Pasternak comparison and inflation. You don't compare the $. You use the %of the salary cap he was awarded and go from there

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
You chill out. The majority of the Leafs fan base has been saying he will be locked up for 6-7 mil per for a while now, looks like that might not be the case.

Who knew, maybe not every Canadian in the NHL is dying to play for the Leafs like Toronto fans and media state.

God damn cry baby westerners and their anti Toronto nonsense. Do you cry every weekend when CBC has the Leafs front and center on HNIC? Poor you. Get over it.

6-7 million is probably a good call on the Marner contract and previous comparables...but once you take cap inflation into account it goes to 7-8 I suppose. Stupid Leaf fans (and media? lol) didnt take into account the 5 (maybe more) million dollar increase on the cap.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
God damn cry baby westerners and their anti Toronto nonsense. Do you cry every weekend when CBC has the Leafs front and center on HNIC? Poor you. Get over it.

6-7 million is probably a good call on the Marner contract and previous comparables...but once you take cap inflation into account it goes to 7-8 I suppose. Stupid Leaf fans (and media? lol) didnt take into account the 5 (maybe more) million dollar increase on the cap.
Ah, don't like when the truth is stated so you resort to name calling? Classic

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Ah, don't like when the truth is stated so you resort to name calling? Classic

I stated the truth in the first paragraph.

Then I gave some more facts in the 2nd paragraph. Obviously a big increase in cap impacts negotiations...maybe some Leaf fans don’t understand that. Just like a lot of people outside of Toronto don’t. But your biases obviously only apply to Torontonians.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I stated the truth in the first paragraph. Obviously it triggered you cause you think it’s “name calling”. lol

Then I gave some more facts in the 2nd paragraph. Obviously a big increase in cap impacts negotiations...maybe some Leaf fans don’t understand that. Just like a lot of people outside of Toronto don’t. But your biases obviously only apply to Torontonians.
What truth did you state in the first paragraph?

Whether you're "triggered" or not, calling people cry babies is name calling. If someone comes at you with facts and you call them "cry babies", something must have hit a nerve.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

giphy.gif

Well here's one Leaf fan that doesn't think Marner is > Eichel (and I know for a fact there are plenty others) so that kinda throws out whatever point you were trying to make there.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It seems like based on the insights of the very intelligent and knowledgeable posters on Hfboards that nobody wants to live and play in Toronto.

Time to contract the franchise boys.

Reactions: Max Money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad