therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hopefully Laine isnt that greedy...Im guessing Laine will be in the 8M market. Auston and Mitch 10M. Do it Toronto :)

Hoping for Toronto to spend as much as possible for them.

Laine I've heard is the next Mario(yes that Mario), has the best release ever and is a world class skater

Max + I'd say

Reactions: leospaceman3434

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
in a unionized business... tradition always said workers who paid their dues get paid more

in an entertainment business... tradition was that famous recognizable name value will sell more tickets to generate more revenue and should lead to greater compensation

for 100 years the nhl basically kept young unproven players paid less... they went so far as to cap elc contracts when that was becoming a problem with guys like lindros and daigle

now... in the span of 2-3 years the pay scale for 21-23 year old kids has been blown out of the water

here lies the next cba lockout battle.

do i think there is any putting the genie back in the bottle? no... not without a lost season

its a mess... toronto probably will be hit harder than any other team... but edmonton has already taken a gut kick themselves.

when these young teams fail to ever get over the top even with mcdavid and eichel and matthews... and Monday morning qbs finally retrospectively lay the blame on these contracts... there will come a reckoning.

the myth everyone clings to... build through the draft. but if you manage ti get a good draft pick now, you pay in 3 years anyhow

its no easy solution.

i posted 18 months ago saying edmonton and toronto would both be destroyed by this problem before they ever got a chance to win. im not happy to be right in this particular case.

both markets have long suffering fans and its a shame that economics will make it impossible to win
The irony in these situations is interesting. Every single player says all they care about is winning the Stanley Cup. Then when it comes time to negotiate a contract, they want to blow up their team's salary cap and damage their chances of winning a Stanley Cup. There is plenty of money on the table, yet the players and more likely their agents have to push for that extra couple million.

Any athlete is entitled to negotiate and get whatever contract they desire. Just don't tell us all you care about is winning the Stanley Cup. That is thick sliced baloney.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The irony in these situations is interesting. Every single player says all they care about is winning the Stanley Cup. Then when it comes time to negotiate a contract, they want to blow up their team's salary cap and damage their chances of winning a Stanley Cup. There is plenty of money on the table, yet the players and more likely their agents have to push for that extra couple million.

Any athlete is entitled to negotiate and get whatever contract they desire. Just don't tell us all you care about is winning the Stanley Cup. That is thick sliced baloney.
There's also pressure from the PA to not take a massive discount as with every other pro sports league.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Why is this even a big deal? Negotiations are battles no?

Gio for example asked for 2-3 mil more than he settled for...
not really battles, merely business transactions

but that said, Dreger knows that "battle" is one of those really good hockey words that most fans can relate to and on some level creates an emotional response, especially in LeaFland

but he also might have used it without any of that and just because his last contract negotiation was a battle in not taking a pay cut...he no longer the big dog now that most of his audience is growing up

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Only Toronto talks are not going as planned these days if I would blindly trust media. Could be so but Lou is not there anymore so I doubt a negotiation could turn that sour with a rich club, but what do I know.... I guess they will trade the big 3 tomorrow.

In all seriousness though, even though Eichel got a bit too much money, Marner will not get Eichel's money anywhere. If you blindly look at stats, any 50 point player could ask for Toews money then.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Signing a 2-3 year deal at $6M a season would not be a "massive discount" for Marner. It would be a "prove it" contract.
6/per would be lightly towards a team-friendly deal when you look at comparables.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The only thing with Mitch is that he only played like an 8 million dollar player for half of his two seasons

Good thing he was only making 900k in those seasons. I guess Leafs are going to also have to make up for how underpaid he was.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good thing he was only making 900k in those seasons. I guess Leafs are going to also have to make up for how underpaid he was.

I guess we'll continue the trend of underpaying for players on their ELC's then. I do not see McDavid making 20 mill a season to make up for how much he was underpaid. Or any other guy coming off of his ELC.

Marner is going to get what the market dictates.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Probably the reason Lou fled the country... his reputation of shrewd negotiator would be destroyed after the 3 headed monster finishes with him.
Loving the jealousy of the big 3.... makes me laugh so hard that other fans are so obsessed with the Leafs not being able to sign the big 3 as that is now one of the few ways to insult the team...

Give me your tears gypsy

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Loving the jealousy of the big 3.... makes me laugh so hard that other fans are so obsessed with the Leafs not being able to sign the big 3 as that is now one of the few ways to insult the team...

Give me your tears gypsy

Where's the jealousy? Just saying it is not going to be cheap, I remember debating this with a few Leaf posters in a thread about the expected salaries of these 3. They are all very good players, which is why I say that. Check my post history... I am not a Leaf hater... just a realist.

You are very sensitive.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Where's the jealousy? Just saying it is not going to be cheap, I remember debating this with a few Leaf posters in a thread about the expected salaries of these 3. They are all very good players, which is why I say that. Check my post history... I am not a Leaf hater... just a realist.

You are very sensitive.
It wasn't just your post it is an over arching theme on these forums.

It obviously will cost a lot but it is very doable and the Leafs can easily sign the 3 of them without having to give any of them up

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It wasn't just your post it is an over arching theme on these forums.

It obviously will cost a lot but it is very doable and the Leafs can easily sign the 3 of them without having to give any of them up

Fair enough... I get in those moods as an Oiler fan as well. You quoted my post, so I felt it necessary to clarify my position.

I fully expect for TML to keep all three and I don't doubt that they all live up to their contracts.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
That's how I see it. He might ask for Eichel money, but if I'm the Leafs I'd laugh at that, stats or no stats. He also shouldn't settle for a Kucherov type bridge deal when he sees how much money was left on the table at this point. They will settle around $8-8.5 on a long term deal which should make Leafs fans happy, especially if they can get Matthew's at that $10-10.5 mark. If they hold out till next year and Matthew's has another monster year they could be looking to beat McDavid's number.
He's not in Eichel's league. The Leafs would be crazy to go with that.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
There is a 100% chance that Dreger is friends with Mitch Marner's agent.

He keeps saying it could cost up to $10M for Marner but based on Marner's resume and every comparable in recent history, Marner slots in between $6.5M and $7.5M. Even taking into consideration the salary cap hike, Marner doesn't project to make $2M+ more than David Pastrnak, who is arguably equal to or better than Marner, at the same age.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He'll get Draisaitl money and he'll actually deserve it. No complaints or worries from me.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
There's also pressure from the PA to not take a massive discount as with every other pro sports league.
That's exactly it.

For all we know, Marner might realize he is well off with a $5M contract.
But his agent is incentivized to raise it because he gets a percentage (though no agents will openly admit that, they're humans, and it's real) , and the PA will be pressuring the agent to increase it as well, bc they don't want to set a bad precedent for other players down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad