Dreger: Marner negotiations could be a "battle"

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
dont see him getting eichel money but i do see him getting something close to draisaitl money.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
And we also have the stats backing us up to make him take Pastrnak money.

I mean you're right, that's why this is a battle and there's a good chance the deal doesn't get done this off season. Marner and his camp think he's better than the numbers have shown (they are probably right), so if they want to sign him now they need to offer more than Pastrnak money

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
dont see him getting eichel money but i do see him getting something close to draisaitl money.

That's how I see it. He might ask for Eichel money, but if I'm the Leafs I'd laugh at that, stats or no stats. He also shouldn't settle for a Kucherov type bridge deal when he sees how much money was left on the table at this point. They will settle around $8-8.5 on a long term deal which should make Leafs fans happy, especially if they can get Matthew's at that $10-10.5 mark. If they hold out till next year and Matthew's has another monster year they could be looking to beat McDavid's number.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People also have to realize, Marner at the end of the day will stay in Toronto, and back-off slightly. He's already selling his face all over town in small endorsement deals, and that is something he can't pull off in another market. That should help the Leafs knock down the price.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Surprised they let Lou go before doing these deals. Lou has been a master negotiator for a long time. Still don't get how he convinced Marner to give up his schedule B bonus for his ELC.

IN any case. Marner was the Leafs best player in the playoffs. He deserves a nice chunk of change knowing what Matthews is likely going to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The kids and their agents, have the Leafs in a pickle...they deserve their $$$ not much else to say. There are no hometown discounts anymore, from players who's agents are driving the bus. Every team has to deal with this...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad