Proposal: Marner for McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
It could be a massive trade,

Marner + Dermott + 3rd for Mcavoy + 3C + 1st (either 2020 or 2021, up to the Bruins. Pick is not protected)
Do you have a 3c in mind? It sounds like you are describing Charlie Coyle, but McAvoy, Coyle and an unprotected first is an insane return.

I don't think the additions you are doing are helping much

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What's MacAvoy's contract situation look like? Because ignoring the fact that Marner is unsigned and want to get paid significantly impact his value to a contending team IMO.

IMO - this isn't a good fit because the Bruins' aren't going to want to upgrade on wing given their relative depth there and take a step back on the blueline.

I suspect that McAvoy will sign for around 6-7 years, at $7-8 million.

I'd agree, value aside, this would be a tough deal for the Bruins to do, as they'd be short on RD. I'd add Zaitsev to the deal, but there isn't the cap room... with notation that whatever team ends up getting him, will get a far better player than the Leafs utilization of him, which didn't fit his strengths.

But, the Bruins don't do this no matter what, even if value isn't terrible for either side.

Reactions: wintersej

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
cmon now you know you are being disingenuous right?
Its akin to saying Rielly>Kucherov

just for future reference - you should shy away from saying someone is 'being disingenuous' and then in the next sentence do what is referred to a 'appeal to the extreme' where you take a valid point and blow it up to an unreasonable level as 'appeal to the extreme' arguments are one of the classic examples of being disingenuous.
We see this a lot lately in politics but it is super grating and under-cuts people's own reasoning and point. It's just a way of muddying the waters and misdirection.

If you think Marner is better than McAvoy - fine - but making that leap on the heels of saying someone is being disingenuous won't have you listened to much.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyT91

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

And what an utterly dominating 4 game sweep that was by St. Louis! Never in doubt!

3rd pairing :laugh:

Learn to read, never said anything in bold. Pietrangelo>McAvoy. Parayko is better at defense, McAvoy is better at offense.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
1for1 swap

edit: how about Marner for Mcavoy + 3C (that is physical and can PK)

edit: how about a MASSIVE trade,

Marner + Dermott + 3rd for Mcavoy + 3C + 1st (either 2020 or 2021, up to the Bruins. Pick is not protected)

I think the Leafs can get more, or that they should hope for an offersheet being made for 4 1sts

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Bruins are grooming McAvoy to be their sure shot #1 guy on defense, if he isn’t already. Can’t trade that with nothing else in the pipeline that projects even on the high end as a potential replacement.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Charlie just led the Bruins in TOI through out the playoffs and his team made it to game 7 of the stanley cup final at the age of 21 years old.

But people are trying to say he's not a #1 defense-man.

Would love to see what other 21 year old defenseman even made it to the finals while leading there team in TOI.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
McAvoy is the #1 defenseman on a team that *just* went to the Stanley Cup Finals and you call him a "decent #2 option?"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
He’s at best, a low-end #1. Can you do well with him as your #1? Clearly. Do you think he is the 2nd best Dman in the league because his team came 2nd?

Or was he the #1 on a very good team?

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
He’s at best, a low-end #1. Can you do well with him as your #1? Clearly. Do you think he is the 2nd best Dman in the league because his team came 2nd?

Or was he the #1 on a very good team?
He's soon to be a top 5 d in the league you are massively underating MacAvoy.

Why wouldn't the Bruins just stay status quo and beat the Leafs again next year

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Leafs pass.

Marner > McAvoy

Marner is one of my favourite young players in the game. But there's something about having that classic #1 RHD that holds too much appeal. Maybe because I'm a life-long Bruins fan and been blessed with watching some of the all-time greats anchor the blueline for most of my life or possibly because I play d in my own game - but I wouldn't trade McAvoy straight up for Mitch - as much as I'd love Mitch on The Bruins. I wouldn't pull the trigger.
I never minded them trading Hamilton as you just didn't really see much progression in his game but IMO McAvoy is a different animal as you watch him get better on a near game-by-game basis.

Marner's a game-breaking talent. No doubt. Love his drive also. Fantastic player to watch. But I believe that McAvoy tilts the ice more. There's probably only a half dozen young d-men in the league I wouldn't trade straight up for Marner but McAvoy is one of them.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Bruins say no unless Toronto adds. #1 defenseman are a lot more valuable than wingers.
In this scenario ..... nope.
Marner is better than most number 1B/2A defenders.

McAvoy is better than a number 2.... But I don't think he is a sure fire number 1....
But it's fine you want to keep him though

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I’m sorry. But I know everyone tends to overvalue their players. But leaf fans IMO do it way more.
Yes it is hard giving up a player like marner but you are getting a top defenseman who always have more value than forwards.
Do you really want to run on that defense? Especially when you have no money to sign anymore?
Yes it was nice to sign Tavares, but it was poor asset management. You have three forwards making over 10 million and have no defense.
I don’t think Boston does this.
Leafs should.
I think if the leafs can make this deal they take it and run.
I am not saying you aren’t going to win the cup with what you have now, but it is going to be very hard with arguably a bottom ten defense.

Reactions: Foxtail

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
In this scenario ..... nope.
Marner is better than most number 1B/2A defenders.

McAvoy is better than a number 2.... But I don't think he is a sure fire number 1....
But it's fine you want to keep him though

You're underrating the hell out of MCavoy if you don't think he's a number 1.

He literally led his entire team in Ice time on a team that made it to game 7 of the Stanley cup finals at the age of 21. How does that not qualify him as a #1 defenseman?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They're pretty close in value and impact. I'm not sure who I'd pick between them if I had the choice. But it's not realistic at all, both teams say No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad