Proposal: Marner for McAvoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Bruins say no unless Toronto adds. #1 defenseman are a lot more valuable than wingers.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
With the salary structure of the Bruins, would they be comfortable paying Marner 10 - 11M?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What's MacAvoy's contract situation look like? Because ignoring the fact that Marner is unsigned and want to get paid significantly impact his value to a contending team IMO.

IMO - this isn't a good fit because the Bruins' aren't going to want to upgrade on wing given their relative depth there and take a step back on the blueline.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You can tell that a lot of Leaf fans stopped watching the playoffs after the Bruins knocked them out. None of them saw how dominant McAvoy was, especially in the final. He's already better than Rielly and he's just scratching the surface.

Wingers are easy to come by (Panarin is a UFA). #1 defensemen are almost never available.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Pass from the bruins. Bruins aren't going to pay marner his $12m or whatever ludicrous amount he wants when Bergeron, March and, and pastrnak are all making less than $7M.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Pass from the bruins. Bruins aren't going to pay marner his $12m or whatever ludicrous amount he wants when Bergeron, March and, and pastrnak are all making less than $7M.

That's exactly why he won't be paid that. The only, and I really do mean only, reason Marner is able to ask what he is asking for is because of how much money Toronto has already paid Matthews and JT

Once Marner is traded to Boston that leverage is gone and he is back to a $9.5m player

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
OPs proposals are just getting worse and worse...

First it was Marner for McAvoy straight up. Already bad for the Bruins.

Then it became Marner for McAvoy AND a 3C. Even worse for the Bruins.

Now its McAvoy AND a 1st AND a 3C for Marner and Dermott.

From bad, to awful, to just ridiculously terrible.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rather have McAvoy personally.... hes great

marner really going to ask for too much

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
McAvoy is the #1 defenseman on a team that *just* went to the Stanley Cup Finals and you call him a "decent #2 option?"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, but he'd be 3rd pairing on the team that won the Stanley Cup behind Pietrangelo and Parayko. The point is, he's the best defensemen on Boston, but would not always be the best defensemen on every team in the NHL. He wouldn't be the #1 in Toronto either at the moment. #2 is still a top pair defensemen.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I don’t think you’ll see these two teams make a deal of this magnitude while they’re both in win now mode and directly competing with one another.

Too much risk from both sides to have this BLOW UP in their faces and cost somebody their job.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I would make it Marner + Kadri and the rights to Don Cherry for McAvoy.

No way in hell I would do it for Boston but Toronto might actually beat the Bruins in the playoffs now.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
McAvoy is more valuable than Marner. As fun as it would be to watch Mitch in The Bruins top 6, having McAvoy and Carlo locking down RD is the kind of luxury very few (any) teams have.
The only way I'd consider a 1 for 1 swap is if McAvoy was terrible in the playoffs his first three seasons but it's been the opposite, if you couldn't see progression in his game but you can on a near nightly basis or if Boston had a tonne of trouble filling the rink as Marner would generate some buzz and get butts in the seat but they have no problem selling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad