Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I sure wish Toronto would just give Marner $10.5M x 5. I also wish he would accept. I don't want to see him leave.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just like Timmy’s doesn’t use Crosby and Mackinnon?

Mitch Marner is not Sidney Crosby.

MacKinnon is used because he’s from the exact same town as Crosby.

Tell me, beside Timmies, what other ad do you see MacKinnon in?

Reactions: Superstar

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Right, but what I glean from the Aho situation is that the 'Canes weren't willing to offer him that at this point, and so he signed an offer-sheet with Montreal in order to guarantee that he got a contract he wanted.

If the Leafs are already offering contracts upwards of $10-11M over 8 years, why would Marner sign a low-ball offer with another team? Your scenario only makes sense to me if Montreal (or any other team) is offering Mitch something the Leafs aren't, which, if they're signing him for a low-ball deal, I have my doubts on.
I see. Hopefully a team doesn't offer sheet him over 11 million because at this current situation, the leafs can't afford him

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Leafs should 100% pass on anything over $10,568,589. It's not just that the compensation is 4 1sts. It is also that if Marner chooses to sign an OS that high he is choosing to F-over the Leafs if they agree to match. It is disappointing that Dubas hasn't had he guts to trade him yet.
Sadly, I agree.

Marner is terrific and popular, so I understand why Dubas hasn't traded him.

I wanted a O.S. for Marner to force Dubas' hand at a reasonable price ($10.5M x 5), but was worried this would happen - assuming a LARGE O.S. does happen.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Sadly, I agree.

Marner is terrific and popular, so I understand why Dubas hasn't traded him.

I wanted a O.S. for Marner to force Dubas' hand at a reasonable price ($10.5M x 5), but was worried this would happen - assuming a LARGE O.S. does happen.

10.5x5 is not a reasonable price for Marner. I don't care if Marner is popular and neither should Dubas. The Raptors winning this year should have convinced Dubas that winning requires you to make unpopular decisions if they are in the best interests of the team. Trade him and rid the Leafs of that toxic family.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
10.5x5 is not a reasonable price for Marner. I don't care if Marner is popular and neither should Dubas. The Raptors winning this year should have convinced Dubas that winning requires you to make unpopular decisions if they are in the best interests of the team. Trade him and rid the Leafs of that toxic family.
I feel $10.5M x 5 is fair and it is what I predicted if an Offer Sheet was not forthcoming.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

What other add do you see Sid in? Marner might just want to be compensated fairly for his last two season’s performance. He’s been, arguably, the Leafs most valuable player, no! The kid did have 94 points last season, while helping on the PK. He’s a really good, and valuable player.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Leafs should 100% pass on anything over $10,568,589. It's not just that the compensation is 4 1sts. It is also that if Marner chooses to sign an OS that high he is choosing to F-over the Leafs if they agree to match. It is disappointing that Dubas hasn't had he guts to trade him yet.
Would Dubas be able to trade him? I doubt teams are throwing big offers his way for the honour of overpaying Marner

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What other add do you see Sid in? Marner might just want to be compensated fairly for his last two season’s performance. He’s been, arguably, the Leafs most valuable player, no! The kid did have 94 points last season, while helping on the PK. He’s a really good, and valuable player.

Crosby has a deal with one of the equipment companies as well.

I’m not sure what advertisements has to do with compensated for his play. Point is, he’ll lose most of the deals he’s done if he leaves.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Crosby has a deal with one of the equipment companies as well.

I’m not sure what advertisements has to do with compensated for his play. Point is, he’ll lose most of the deals he’s done if he leaves.
Well of course he’s not selling any product in TO if he goes. With this stuff going on he might not have any deals even if he does sign. If he went to New York, I’m sure he’d get some good deals there.
Point is the kid is a player. Leafs will find it hard to replace him. I think he’s one of the top players in th3 league.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Grandma's baked goods at the local Sunday event? :sarcasm:

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Would Dubas be able to trade him? I doubt teams are throwing big offers his way for the honour of overpaying Marner

I was just thinking the opposite. I bet teams are throwing packages at Dubas every day. Get a couple teams interested and suddenly the market forces the price back up a bit. I would think Dubas has at least a couple offers that (like many of us feel) are looking more appealing the longer you are forced to consider non-ideal contingencies.

Just for shits and giggles...

GM comes to you with...
25yo RHD signed to the equivalent of Kadri’s contract.
21yo blue chip winger with a few years of pre-UFA years.
Basket of draft picks

Maybe my player value guesstimates are a bit wonky, but that’s not far off from making you think....maybe???...the longer this goes on. And you probably end up with enough cap space to add a legitimate player at the trade deadline.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He is, nobody Is denying how good the kid is or how much most of us want to keep the kid around, but being compensated fairly and numbers like 12.5M aren't exactly comparable

There is no way I could justify something like that, he's bloody good but he's not McDavid money with one less year good

That's just off the reservation

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well of course he’s not selling any product in TO if he goes. With this stuff going on he might not have any deals even if he does sign. If he went to New York, I’m sure he’d get some good deals there.
Point is the kid is a player. Leafs will find it hard to replace him. I think he’s one of the top players in th3 league.

That wasn’t your point.

You questioned Marner losing sponsorships by saying Crosby and MacKinnon are in a Timmies ad.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Does anyone else think that the Leafs are better off taking their chances with $11+ million in cap space and 4 first round picks?

That space is significant and could be used to heavily upgrade the back end and it will be a major help next summer I’m retaining Muzzin and Barrie who they gave up a lot for!

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Guess we had better dump Nylander too, pretty much the same situation we had with him and his father last year except no one was threatening a potential offer sheet.

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad