Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He signs 12.5x5 with someone else.

With use our cap space and the Golden Knights cap crunch to flip one of the 1dts for Gusev, who you put on Tavares wing.

Use the other cash left for a Ferland type to play 3W, and bring Gardiner back on a 1 year deal.

Would a team give up four firsts for only five years of Marner? I think if a team does offer sheet Marner it’s got to be the max seven years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is new sports entertainment. It's all like WWE, drama drama drama. They must be making out like bandits with all the eyes focused where they want them. The new sheetshow. Kawhi down to the wire I say, the wire!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
At least this off-season we can't let it drag into the season like Nylander.

If it ain't done by the end of September he's either playing the year in europe or getting traded.

Be positive, he could take a cheapish one year deal so the recapture penalty doesn't go over the cap in late November :laugh:

Seriously though I agree with you, this **** needs sorting before the season starts

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Have to admit I haven't been following as close as I should be. Just got the gist that his dad is another Mr Lindros.

I believe Mitch's Dad is involved in the management side of the Marner inc. if there is such a thing, nothing wrong with that. For some reason, you people think a Dad has no place being involved with his son on the business side

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I believe Mitch's Dad is involved in the management side of the Marner inc. if there is such a thing, nothing wrong with that. For some reason, you people think a Dad has no place being involved with his son on the business side
Because Paul Marner isnt about hockey hes about dollar bills

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner’s camp’s antics has been worse than Nylander’s lmao

Yep. Nylanders negotiations sucked, but both sides wanted a longer term deal it was just a matter of cap hit. I have no idea what's even going on with these Marner negotiations-but way too much of it has been aired out in public

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Whatever you think a team is willing to offersheet Marner for, you are arguing that he’s worth substantially more than that contract as a UFA. Notice that with free reign to negotiate with any team, Aho could only scrape up $8.5mx5. He couldn’t find a team willing to go into the >$8.5m tier, let alone the >$10.5m tier, let alone >$10.5m tier on an albatross $12.5m contract.

If one thinks Marner can find someone willing to pay up $12.5m and give up 4 1st rounders, then one must think he’d command $14m in UFA.

I personally don’t think he’ll find an offersheet pushing $10.5 but we’ll see.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Whatever you think a team is willing to offersheet Marner for, you are arguing that he’s worth substantially more than that contract as a UFA. Notice that with free reign to negotiate with any team, Aho could only scrape up $8.5mx5. He couldn’t find a team willing to go into the >$8.5m tier, let alone the >$10.5m tier, let alone >$10.5m tier on an albatross $12.5m contract.

If one thinks Marner can find someone willing to pay up $12.5m and give up 4 1st rounders, then one must think he’d command $14m in UFA.

I personally don’t think he’ll find an offersheet pushing $10.5 but we’ll see.
Honestly, 14m as a 22 year old UFA isn't insane given the Panarin numbers. Stupid, but not unthinkable given the current situation and GM demands.

Problem with the Offer Sheets is they need to be high enough to get you the player, but low enough not to kill your future. Montreal tried another poison pill, but those have never worked.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yep. Nylanders negotiations sucked, but both sides wanted a longer term deal it was just a matter of cap hit. I have no idea what's even going on with these Marner regions-but way too much of it has been aired out in public

All offseason speculation, the same story is being passed around by a bunch of media people looking for ratings/atention/etc ... its not really bad

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Is it just me or is everyone literally just throwing random **** at the wall and hoping it sticks? Regarding Offer sheet rumours and numbers

Sure seems like it. The crap they are throwing at the wall is like post Taco Bell crap. It’s runny and basically hits everything. That way they can say they were right.

Reactions: Kiwi and Blufreezy

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Honestly, 14m as a 22 year old UFA isn't insane given the Panarin numbers. Stupid, but not unthinkable given the current situation and GM demands.

It’s possible in the same sense that it’s possible I’ve been sent back in time from a dystopian future to try to calm everyone down.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s possible in the same sense that it’s possible I’ve been sent back in time from a dystopian future to try to calm everyone down.
It's theoretical, because you're not getting any UFA at his age and caliber. But he's worth 1.5 more than Panarin on the open market because of his age.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm sure Marner would have loved a 5 x $11.5M O.S. with the Leafs matching. If it gets more expensive, I'm sure the Leafs will pass.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I'm sure Marner would have loved a 5 x $11.5M O.S. with the Leafs matching. If it gets more expensive, I'm sure the Leafs will pass.

The Leafs should 100% pass on anything over $10,568,589. It's not just that the compensation is 4 1sts. It is also that if Marner chooses to sign an OS that high he is choosing to F-over the Leafs if they agree to match. It is disappointing that Dubas hasn't had he guts to trade him yet.

Reactions: EN4CER
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad