Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He signs 12.5x5 with someone else.

With use our cap space and the Golden Knights cap crunch to flip one of the 1dts for Gusev, who you put on Tavares wing.

Use the other cash left for a Ferland type to play 3W, and bring Gardiner back on a 1 year deal.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Now that offer-sheet talk is ramping up, does Marner's "thread-count" start to rival Nylander's?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He signs 12.5x5 with someone else.

With use our cap space and the Golden Knights cap crunch to flip one of the 1dts for Gusev, who you put on Tavares wing.

Use the other cash left for a Ferland type to play 3W, and bring Gardiner back on a 1 year deal.

I doubt it’ll take a 1st to get Gusev.

We could offersheet him at 4M and only give up a 2nd

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kiwi said:
Yes he is, doesn't mean he was worth 9M last off-season though by any stretch of the imagination, most of us were arguing Nylander should get around 6.5M over 6 or 7 years so best of luck thinking most sane people would have found 9M acceptable
What he's worth last offseason has never mattered because we knew what he'd make in 2018-19. You were always paying him for 2019+.

The playoffs argument is useful, shouldn't that be held against him now since he fell into a hole last playoffs? I'd have thought that makes the old Aho contract a decent comparable again
He had a meh playoffs for me. If he was stellar we'd be talking higher. I have him above Aho personally. Better regular season, tougher matchups in the playoffs. I'm all for signing him to that realm now, I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
200.gif

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What he's worth last offseason has never mattered because we knew what he'd make in 2018-19. You were always paying him for 2019+.

He had a meh playoffs for me. If he was stellar we'd be talking higher. I have him above Aho personally. Better regular season, tougher matchups in the playoffs. I'm all for signing him to that realm now, I just don't see it happening.

Again hindsight, 9M was ridiculous at the time and I can't blame the GM for not signing it at the time without the benefit of hindsight

I think he's worth slightly more than Aho, the fact were talking Aho money on a bridge or 10M+ over 5 is beyond bad
McDavid money and 4 first round picks is pure insanity as well

People have lost there minds

Reactions: Raymondo316

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I still don't get how 10.5 - 11 million for 8 years is not enough money for someone. Man I hope this doesn't drag on like Nylander, I'm hoping someone low balls him on an offer sheet and signs it (*cough* Bergevin *cough*)

I don't get it either. Like seriously don't get it. Marner is a hometown boy, loves playing here (it shows) and will be a God in his hometown. Why should a mil or two make a difference when you are talking almost 100 million dollars.

Nylander really pissed me off with his antics, Im hoping its not a repeat with Marner.

Reactions: Big Shot

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I still don't get how 10.5 - 11 million for 8 years is not enough money for someone. Man I hope this doesn't drag on like Nylander, I'm hoping someone low balls him on an offer sheet and signs it (*cough* Bergevin *cough*)
Why would Marner sign a low-ball offer from another team that he knows the Leafs will match? Unless you think the Leafs are currently low-balling him as well?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't get it either. Like seriously don't get it. Marner is a hometown boy, loves playing here (it shows) and will be a God in his hometown. Why should a mil or two make a difference when you are talking almost 100 million dollars.

Nylander really pissed me off with his antics, Im hoping its not a repeat with Marner.

Marner’s camp’s antics has been worse than Nylander’s lmao

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario

Exactly, he was born and raised a maple leaf fan. Tavares was also and he even took a hometown discount to play for us (SJ offered 13 million).

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Why would Marner sign a low-ball offer from another team that he knows the Leafs will match? Unless you think the Leafs are currently low-balling him as well?
Aho signed an offer that the canes will likely match. 8.5 was pretty much what he wanted in the first place? I don't think the leafs are low balling him, wasn't the offer 11 million for 8 years?

Reactions: Big Shot

horner

May 22, 2007
Make a trade with the team that wants to offer sheet us.
4 1st will be between 23 to 31 no good

Islanders
Barzal and Mayfield

Montreal
Kotkaniemi and Domi or Poehling

NJ
Hughes + Palmeri + Blackwood

Then
Offer sheet
Kyle Connor 7 * 7

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Aho signed an offer that the canes will likely match. 8.5 was pretty much what he wanted in the first place? I don't think the leafs are low balling him, wasn't the offer 11 million for 8 years?
10 mil per x 8 years was the reported offer from Brian Burkes sources

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Make a trade with the team that wants to offer sheet us.
4 1st will be between 23 to 31 no good

Islanders
Barzal and Mayfield

Montreal
Kotkaniemi and Domi or Poehling

NJ
Hughes + Palmeri + Blackwood

Then
Offer sheet
Kyle Connor 7 * 7
Pretty sure all those teams would rather give up four first rounders.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Right, but what I glean from the Aho situation is that the 'Canes weren't willing to offer him that at this point, and so he signed an offer-sheet with Montreal in order to guarantee that he got a contract he wanted.

If the Leafs are already offering contracts upwards of $10-11M over 8 years, why would Marner sign a low-ball offer with another team? Your scenario only makes sense to me if Montreal (or any other team) is offering Mitch something the Leafs aren't, which, if they're signing him for a low-ball deal, I have my doubts on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad