Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
For Marner I think somewhere between $9.5 mil and $10.8 mil is a fair contract over 4 years.

I would agree for most players assists are not important but Marner is generating assists through purposeful control of the game, he is not just getting pigeon assists. With Marner he is purposefully breaking down the other teams defence to generate assists.

At approaching 11m, I'd personally be a little disappointed if it wasn't 6 years, but I just want him signed.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
On the Matthews contract (last star player contract given out by Dubas), it was SPECIFICALLY based on goals. Why should that change now with Marner?

I would think that is because that is what Matthews does best. It's not as simple as picking one metric and saying every one is judged based off that same metric. You wouldn't judge Rielly or Andersen of how many goals they scored so why suggest that has to be THE metric to judge players. Every player has a tool box of skill and you pay for that tool box and what they contribute towards your ultimate goal.

I personally feel that Marner should be paid based on an elite on ice vision and his contributor to goal suppression. $9.5 mil to $10.8 mil over 4 years is fair IMO.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No shade intended here, but Marner isn't even that good defensively.

Not in the sense of Selke Trophy awards, but he is excellent at take ways, delaying the play and getting in the way of shots. That double block of two shots from the point to end the game in the Boston series is really indicative of what Marner brings defensivly. He one of our elite players and he is doing every thing he can to prevent the puck getting to the net, that mindset, that compete is IMO what makes him a good defensive player.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Not in the sense of Selke Trophy awards, but he is excellent at take ways, delaying the play and getting in the way of shots. That double block of two shots from the point to end the game in the Boston series is really indicative of what Marner brings defensivly. He one of our elite players and he is doing every thing he can to prevent the puck getting to the net, that mindset, that compete is IMO what makes him a good defensive player.

Stone during his ELC (Mark Stone Stats | Hockey-Reference.com):
1 x Selke-46 (Year 3)

Marner during his ELC (Mitch Marner Stats | Hockey-Reference.com):
1 x Selke-14 (Year 3)

I haven't really looked at this, but it would be interesting to see what other wingers got Selke nominations during their ELCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad