Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Winter is coming

Who signs 1st.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Based on the speculation, marner would have NEVER signed before knowing what Matthews got.

This really shouldn't be true: I can't make less than him. He can't be made captain because I deserve it.

We just have to wait for the reasonable and fair contract to be signed and then we move along.

the speculation and the quotes from his agent and dad make marner seem so incredibly entitled and childish imo. I really hope they aren't all true

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mirtle reported on TSN earlier that Marner rejected a 3 year 8.83 AAV contract (oddly specific number).

Friedman reported that Marner rejected a 7 year 11M AAV contract as well. (Not mentioned when it was rejected)

I'm all for players getting as much money as possible... but... this isn't really reasonable based on market value.

going all out for a trade the way they are heading (If these numbers are true)

Reactions: kb

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Because he wants over 10M on a 3 year bridge, so that he can get a 15M+ QO when the bridge is done.

I mean if Mitch consistently puts up 90+ points for the next 3 years he automatically gets close to 15 AAV regardless of the QO by going to arbitration or become UFA if Leafs walk away.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That is speculation from months ago, and is even said to be irrelevant in that quote. It's also not a difference of 3-4m. This is the same 3 x 10m offer that was speculated before (7.5, 7.5, 15), when it was speculated that the Leafs were at 8.7m x 3 (a 1.3m difference).

It's not from "months ago". This is all over the course of the summer and the recent negotiations that the Leafs have been pushing hard to finish.

Marner wants minimum 10.75M per year on a bridge. Leafs offered 8.83 per Mirtle, which seems to be an over payment considering Aho's contract and other contracts likely signed in the next couple weeks. So yeah, the gap is pretty significant.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean if Mitch consistently puts up 90+ points for the next 3 years he automatically gets close to 15 AAV regardless of the QO by going to arbitration or become UFA if Leafs walk away.

There's no way the Leafs want to do a bridge deal and face that kind of cap AND roster killing situation.

It's not happening.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There's no way the Leafs want to do a bridge deal and face that kind of cap AND roster killing situation.

It's not happening.

Not talking fromLeafs perspective but Marner’s pov.

If Marner thinks he can put up 3 seasons of 90+ points then sign the 8.83 AAV; and then go to arbitration to get lose to that 15 AAV based on league comparables or Leafs walk away and he becomes UFA.

I don’t see what’s the issue here

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There a reason you're punishing other players for producing? Let's look at overall PT/Game. No one cares how people got their points unless you're going for a specific narrative.

17/18 PT Game

Point - .8 Pt game
Rantanen - 1.03 pt game
Marner - 0.84 pt game

18/19 PT Game

Point 1.16 pt/game
Rantanen 1.17 pt/game
Marner 1.14 pt/game

Point gets a premium for playing centre although tax situation and internal cap structure of Tampa Bay may change things but Marner is clearly #3 of these 3 players.
The bolded is a big and common problem in forward evaluation. Nobody really cares whether someone got their total by their own offensive play, by superior linemates, or by excessive riches of opportunity. The latter is such a huge factor, yet people are usually called homers for bringing it up. The truth is that even if you accept the theory that per minute-stats get worse with additional minutes, just the variance in PP TOI among top players can result in as much as a 10 points difference.

Put today's Marner on the 30th place Leafs, and I'm not sure he breaks 70 points. He's just as good of a player, but context matters.

Compared to the other two, Marner gets almost as strong results while working with much less. Point has equal linemates and a greater opportunity. Rantanen has both.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There a reason you're punishing other players for producing?
I am not punishing players for producing. As I even said, of the 3, Marner produces at the best rate on the PP over their ELCs. I am separating ES and PP production, because raw PP production has significant swings based on insignificant differences in TOI, that is almost entirely a result of a random team stat like PP opportunities.

No one cares how people got their points
People properly evaluating the quality of player and their likely production going forward most definitely do.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Paul with an update

This is ridiculous.
Mirtle also kinda confirmed this and he really sounded like most of us, like he couldn't believe this all is happening and the Marner camp is asking for this much money.

This is madness.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is ridiculous.
Mirtle also kinda confirmed this and he really sounded like most of us, like he couldn't believe this all is happening and the Marner camp is asking for this much money.

This is madness.

To be honest, I'd say the majority of analysts are pretty shocked at some of the reported numbers they are rejecting and asking for. Even retired pro players very likely all about players getting money are like "This is pretty nuts".

Dreger is probably the only one that seems really okay and is pushing for Marner to be the highest paid forward in the entire NHL.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's not from "months ago".
Go read your quote again.

"However, I'm told that was several months ago and is no longer relevant".

The 3 x 10m bridge was speculated a long time ago, which is what this is.

Marner wants minimum 10.75M per year on a bridge.
No, he doesn't. The calculation that guy did is wrong.

Back-loaded deals have different rules than front-loaded deals. The variance from year to year on a back-loaded deal can't be more than the lowest salary in the first half of the deal, which makes 7.5-7.5-15 possible, and is why Meier's deal is legal.

Leafs offered 8.83 per Mirtle, which seems to be an over payment considering Aho's contract and other contracts likely signed in the next couple weeks.
Marner is better than Aho, and better than anybody else that will sign in the next couple weeks.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Go read your quote again.

"However, I'm told that was several months ago and is no longer relevant".

The 3 x 10m bridge was speculated a long time ago, which is what this is.

No, he doesn't. The calculation that guy did is wrong.

Back-loaded deals have different rules than front-loaded deals. The variance from year to year on a back-loaded deal can't be more than the lowest salary in the first half of the deal, which makes 7.5-7.5-15 possible, and is why Meier's deal is legal.

Marner is better than Aho, and better than anybody else that will sign in the next couple weeks.

For the salary I think the rule is

1. Be within 33% on a year over year basis (up or down)
and
2. And any year in the duration of the contract cannot be more than 50% of the lowest salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad