Salary Cap: Marner Contract - $116,000,000 CANADIAN DOLLARS is the offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Imagine if Dubas does cave, giving him 12-13mil aav. What are the ufa contract demands going to be, 16-18mil aav? F*ck him and his insecure father.

Reactions: ToMaLe

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's not even about that, it's a major distraction. Does anyone want to keep answering Marner questions every single day till this is resolved? The players don't want this, I don't think. They would rather he signed asap. That's what I would want if I was a player.
They would prefer it was wrapped up, but they are unlikely to hold it against him.

None of his teammates would likely put money on the table to bring him back, that's just how hockey works. There are a few pretty clear rules in a dressing room is don't talk about contract dispute between management and a teammate.

Reactions: hn777

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I would be on board in getting the greed out of here. If you want to screw the team as much as possible then gtfo. I love Marner as a player, but cant stand this greed. If not signed by training camp, trade him, and take Nylander with you. Cant stand greedy punks that think they are bigger then the team. 11 mil for 7-8 years and say no? Get him the f out!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner is on the brink of losing the entire Leafs fanbase. No amount of money is worth being hated in your hometown for the rest of your life.

I imagine there are some serious conversations happening tonight in the Marner household. I wouldn't be surprised if the agent is fired tonight, the public media battle was a serious misread of the situation by Ferris.

I love odog. The man has my respect.

My guess is Marner is calling all the shots. Can’t imagine the agent not wanting to agree to that contract. He’d hold no grudges toward the Leafs and Matthews’ deal or the ELC bonus

Reactions: saffronleaf and kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It’ll be hard for Marner to save face here.

It would be hilarious if he got booed even if scored a goal - fans will let him know he’s not welcome.
Leafs fans will gladly think its a good deal and be happy once he's signed. No one will boo him if he re-signs unless he sucks. Nylander didn't even get booed for missing the first 2 months and then sucking for the next 2 after that.

Reactions: ktownhockey

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As soon as the Leafs can match a level 2 or 3 compensation OS, he’ll sign with a new team and try and take them to the cleaners
How will he take the Leafs to the cleaners? How does hurting the team you play for benefit anyone? There is nothing to take. Horrible on him.

Shows his love for Toronto, doesn't it?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs fans will gladly think its a good deal and be happy once he's signed. No one will boo him if he re-signs unless he sucks. Nylander didn't even get booed for missing the first 2 months and then sucking for the next 2 after that.
Let me remind you of Larry Murphy.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
This is their job so....
It's a tough one. All of the Toronto core have signed for a couple of million a year than they are worth. So hard for Marner to be the only one to accept fair market value. Team screwed up not signing these guys a year earlier when they could of got them so much cheaper.
Might as well give him 12 x 7 now and take a run at the cup this year than repeating the Nylander situation where the player misses camp and plays terrible as a result of missing camp.
Hard to give up on this year when the cup window is so short.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
My guess is Marner is calling all the shots. Can’t imagine the agent not wanting to agree to that contract. He’d hold no grudges toward the Leafs and Matthews’ deal or the ELC bonus

Certainly is possible. Either way, his career as a Toronto Maple Leaf is at a fork in the road as of today. If he wants to be a Leaf, now is the time to show it. I honestly believe he's finished in Toronto if there is no deal within 72 hours.

This is one of the worst situations we've had in a very long time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As soon as the Leafs can match a level 2 or 3 compensation OS, he’ll sign with a new team and try and take them to the cleaners

#GoodRiddance

I want the cup. I don't give a flying F whether marner is on the team or not. Given the recent reports from both sportsnet and TSN; accomodating marner would lower the chances at the cup;

I'd rather increase depth and try to not have any "weak" positions 4th line or 3rd defensive pairings; have good team composition; cap flexibility moving forward and continue to draft well and develop.

Bracco isn't half bad IMO

Moore-Tavares-Kapanen
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Bracco
Marchment-Goat-Spezza

(drop LW down by one once Hyman is back)

Muzzin Barrie
Rielly XXX
Dermott Ceci

XXX: filled in with the cap space (10.5 AAV) we have.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
His teammates also didn't really take any discounts. The only real example is JT. Most athletes get this is a business, and don't take this stuff anywhere close to as personally as people on this board.

Take a discount? He won't èven sign a significant overpayment so talking about discounts is downright funny at this point

He's an asset, if he's more trouble than he's worth or vastly overvalues himself he needs to go, that isn't emotion that's just a realistic view of our current situation

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Imagine if Dubas does cave, giving him 12-13mil aav. What are the ufa contract demands going to be, 16-18mil aav? F*ck him and his insecure father.
The Leafs literally can't sign that contract. So no worries, unless they plan on performing surgery to the roster.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Let me remind you of Larry Murphy.
Larry Murphy got booed because he sucked. Not because he held out. Hence why I pointed to Nylander and not Gardiner this year. If Mitch comes back and plays like last year, he'll be the toast of the town within 4 weeks. A majority of fans have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to the team they like.

Reactions: dsred

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
What teams would even be able to pay him what he's looking for?
Who are possible and realistic trading partners?
Sad that this happening. As a fan, it feels like being stabbed in the back.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Take a discount? He won't èven sign a significant overpayment so talking about discounts is downright funny at this point

He's an asset, if he's more trouble than he's worth or vastly overvalues himself he needs to go, that isn't emotion that's just a realistic view of our current situation
Again, a major deadline hasn't even struck and people are melting down. Nothing major is going to happen until October 1st likely. There is no reason to back off a position until you start losing paychecks.

Marner is more likely to live up to what he is asking for, then what we will get in return or use that cap space to replace him with.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's a tough one. All of the Toronto core have signed for a couple of million a year than they are worth. So hard for Marner to be the only one to accept fair market value. Team screwed up not signing these guys a year earlier when they could of got them so much cheaper.
Might as well give him 12 x 7 now and take a run at the cup this year than repeating the Nylander situation where the player misses camp and plays terrible as a result of missing camp.
Hard to give up on this year when the cup window is so short.
This is.... Well......I don't even know where to start.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Little miffed watching this rebuild and all the quality players they brought in and watched them develop and now this. I just don't see the team being able to afford to keep them all and Mitch may be the one to move out.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I literally block his phone number at this point and come back Oct. 1 and tell them 8 years 9 mill or you get the **** out of here and go to Switzerland. And shop him to the worst hockey markets exclusively.

I would literally start low balling him now. Apparently 116 million caandian dollars isn't enough? offer him 8.5 x 8 years and that is it.

once he signs the deal trade his ass for a stud d-man + forward;

don't think many teams have the cap space anymore to give marner an offersheet more than 9AAV anyway....

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nylander didn’t turn down 11 million dollars per year though.
He also only put up 61 points, only gave up one year of UFA, and didn't just see a guy who put up fewer points than him the last 2 years get the best contract in the NHL as an RFA. I'm not saying Marner and his camp is entirely in the right, but people won't boo him if he re-signs. They'll quickly go back to defending the contract like they do with Willy and Matthews.

Reactions: dsred and Lurch

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Again, a major deadline hasn't even struck and people are melting down. Nothing major is going to happen until October 1st likely. There is no reason to back off a position until you start losing paychecks.

Marner is more likely to live up to what he is asking for, then what we will get in return or use that cap space to replace him with.
So he will become the greatest winger in league history?

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I've been reflecting on it and I'm very confident this gets done. Marner has literally no leverage the more this goes on. No team is going to give him a better offer sheet than what he is getting, so if Dubas says take it or leave it... not a chance marner sits a year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He also only put up 61 points, only gave up one year of UFA, and didn't just see a guy who put up fewer points than him the last 2 years get the best contract in the NHL as an RFA. I'm not saying Marner and his camp is entirely in the right, but people won't boo him if he re-signs. They'll quickly go back to defending the contract like they do with Willy and Matthews.
How many UFA years is Mitch going to be giving up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad