Salary Cap: Marner Contract - $116,000,000 CANADIAN DOLLARS is the offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yea it was bad enough with Nylander but this is getting absurd and going to leave a bitter taste. If he's really expecting to get more money than Matthews he's really letting ego and greed sour his reputation here. Oh well. F*ck him if that's the case. As soon as the regular season starts and he's not signed, I know I won't look at him the same, unless he ever redeems himself.

I might be harsh on him, but I won't look at him the same if he doesn't sign tonight/tomorrow and misses the start of camp. You be there with your teammates from the start or GTFO.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I might be harsh on him, but I won't look at him the same if he doesn't sign tonight/tomorrow and misses the start of camp. You be there with your teammates from the start or GTFO.
You really think other players gonna hate on him for trying to raise values of everyone else’s future contracts?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I genuinely hope that Marner gets traded 1 minute after signing whatever ridiculous deal he winds up signing with the leafs.
Good riddance and f*** off

Reactions: biotk

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
He won't be welcome in the city again. End of story. Nylander took his lumps, did a solid with that jersey stunt and isn't from here. He can recover, but this situation is many magnitudes worse.
Nylander was always viewed as the selfish, uninterested foreigner.

Now “Hometown Hero” becomes “Greedy Motherf***er Marner”

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I would say the Leafs leaking the dollar amount has really turned public opinion and has paved the way for a divorce if need be. The fanbase, pundits, alumni have decided, and no one is siding with Mitch Marner.

He just burned up all the good will, all the soft power, marketing, brand image in this market. The guy is negotiating dirty like a Russian hold out in the mid 90s.

Yup. I think the Leafs did their best to avoid this route but Marner left them no choice on the eve of camp. Marner has basically screwed himself. There's a chance to repair this situation, but I measure it in hours, not days.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You really think other players gonna hate on him for trying to raise values of everyone else’s future contracts?

All they care about is money? Money is everything? His teammates also want to be the best team they can be. His teammates don't want this major distraction hanging over them. Matthews didn't raise the value of everyone else enough already?

Reactions: biotk

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Never in a million years would I have assumed Marner would be turning down 11 mil after his ELC expired.

It's funny because when the year began you're like "alright 8 mil should wrap him up", then you accept it will be 9 mil instead. Hmmmm okay damn 10 mil eh...after a month or so you teach yourself to accept that as well because you just want the guy signed.

Now we're even entering 11 mil range and still nothing?!!?!??!

I'm not even mad. Just indifferent at this point now. Flip him for Werenski and let's gooooo.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Yeah, I think the time has come to either let him sit or start fielding trade offers.

The fact that he turned down those 7 and 8 year 11 million per deals is being beyond unreasonable and shows that he cares more about the name on the back of the jersey as opposed to the name on the front.

He can honestly f*** off at this point.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Flip him for Johnny Hockey. Basically the same player getting paid less than Nylander..Good ol' curse of the Leafs tax.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’ll be hard for Marner to save face here.

It would be hilarious if he got booed even if scored a goal - fans will let him know he’s not welcome.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All they care about is money? Money is everything? His teammates also want to be the best team they can be. His teammates don't want this major distraction hanging over them. Matthews didn't raise the value of everyone else enough already?
His teammates also didn't really take any discounts. The only real example is JT. Most athletes get this is a business, and don't take this stuff anywhere close to as personally as people on this board.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It'd be one thing if he was pulling this with another team, in another city that he doesnt need an association with after his time is done. But he is literally doing this in his home town. He lives here, he will likely continue to live here for a long time.

I can't imagine that people wouldnt make comments to him in the public if this continues or ends up sour.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
well whats done is done; we can use the cap space for this season to improve the defense and probably be better for it
As soon as the Leafs can match a level 2 or 3 compensation OS, he’ll sign with a new team and try and take them to the cleaners

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
His teammates also didn't really take any discounts. The only real example is JT. Most athletes get this is a business, and don't take this stuff anywhere close to as personally as people on this board.

It's not even about that, it's a major distraction. Does anyone want to keep answering Marner questions every single day till this is resolved? The players don't want this, I don't think. They would rather he signed asap. That's what I would want if I was a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad