Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I'm noticing a stronger guy on the puck, no dangling at the line, far less East/West more North/South, quicker reaction time. He is a mature NHL player now who has shored up many of his weaknesses.

I've never been his biggest fan in the past but I've always marveled at his vision, I can't even repeat how high up I'd put him in my lifetime, he sees the ice like a lion sees the sahara. I'm old school though and when players make poor decisions it lingers in my memory.

The games I have see him play this year have been impressive. He has a focus that was probably lacking.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm noticing a stronger guy on the puck, no dangling at the line, far less East/West more North/South, quicker reaction time. He is a mature NHL player now who has shored up many of his weaknesses.

I've never been his biggest fan in the past but I've always marveled at his vision, I can't even repeat how high up I'd put him in my lifetime, he sees the ice like a lion sees the sahara. I'm old school though and when players make poor decisions it lingers in my head.

The games I have see him play this year have been impressive. He has a focus that was probably lacking.

He is grown man now? The edits to his game are a definite improvement.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What’s made me thrill is that MM didn’t even think about making a drop pass when he drove in and scored. That’s what I talked about making simple and direct plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antropovsky

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It's weird to me also that so many people say that playoffs are what matters, and at the same time they're complaining about Matthews while raving about Marner. Me I still feel the same - the players both individually, and as a team, get graded maybe 95% or so on how they play in the playoffs and 5% on the regular season. 1st team all-star, Hart trophy, best November ever, it all means very little to me when compared to our playoff failures. I'm also a bit baffled by how much some people are raving about Marner right now. Yes he's playing well no question about that, but it's November FFS and stacked up against how many times he's disappointed me in the playoffs, it really doesn't mean much at all, not to me anyway. Maybe some people are still on a high from the teams record breaking November a year ago but I didn't GAF then and I don't GAF now.

Marner was mediocre for 3 playoffs in a row before finally playing well last season, that's what really matters to me so I won't be one of those people raving about how he's a stud, elite or whatever else. I'm waiting to see how he does next spring and how he's playing in November barely registers as far as I'm
No one cares that you don't GAF, FFS.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I've never been his biggest fan in the past but I've always marveled at his vision, I can't even repeat how high up I'd put him in my lifetime, he sees the ice like a lion sees the sahara. I'm old school though and when players make poor decisions it lingers in my memory.

He has been really good. I remember last season when all of a sudden started scoring goals with a sniper like shot that he seemed to have developed overnight almost, and then just kept sniping and sniping. I said then that after all these years when he hasn't produced in the playoffs, I can't celebrate until he does it in the playoffs but he didn't look like a player who was going to fade away again, and he didn't. It feels the same now except that he looks even better and I can't wait to see this version of Marner in the playoffs.

He is grown man now? The edits to his game are a definite improvement.
Haha, I see what you did there.

No one cares that you don't GAF, FFS.
When I don't care about a post, I usually just scroll on by but you feel the need to quote me, and respond. Human nature is such an interesting thing, don't you think!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Like the entire team, the playoffs will define them. That said, I’m glad I haven’t painted myself into such a “intellectual” corner I can’t just enjoy the ride with a guy who comes along very seldom. Now that would suck.

As an aside, he’s been stronger on the puck since camp for anyone paying attention.

Lets go Canada!!!!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Marner gets a lot of hate, but can’t deny when he’s on his game that he’s one of the best wingers in the game.
It's ridiculous some of the things some of these so called fans say about him, but then again like any of the internet heavyweights we've all run into just ignore their immaturity and move on.
Best penalty killer, quarterbacks the PP, top minutes for forwards, offensive engine of the team, hounds pucks, wins pucks, is out there to hold leads, and is well liked in the room. He will be in bronze one day and I for one realize we won’t soon see a player like him anytime soon. Enjoying the ride.
A lot of fans forget that there's a tomorrow, and are concerned only with the moment, but yeah I've said it before that MM may be the greatest Leaf any of us will have ever seen in our lifetimes.
Any line Marner is on becomes a number 1 line.
Even when he was on the 4th line under Babcock early in his career he made them dangerous.
Still remember him sucking in a couple of defenders and setting up the other MM with a pass that goes through 4 sticks, and 3 pairs a legs landing on Marty's tape for a tap in
He makes some bad gaffes at times but I'm sure it's mostly from trying too hard and trying to do too much.

Right now he seems in the zone and is making some insane plays. Just Leave him off of the D. lol

I can understand the criticism at times but the hate is over the top.
It's pretty ridiculous for sure, that said even Van Gogh didn't always paint a masterpiece, it didnt matter that he was using the same canvas, same brushes and paints, lived in the same house. There were days they stayed inside his head and couldn't be put on canvas. In the end we're all pretty glad he didn't stop trying.
Damn pp looking hot
Very good puck movement for sure better than it's been previously this season. I'd love to see that video game looking PP they had going on a few years back, it seemed like they'd have a shot on net within the first 5 seconds and a goal by 20 seconds.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Does anyone notice that everyone players better with Marner then they do with anyone else, including Matthews? He just makes everyone around him better, as seen with Bunting in 2021, Matthews in 2021 and Tavares in 2019.
Don't forget how he helped elevate Buster into a huge contract and a spot with McJeebuzz. Funny enough another guy who had to take a lot of unnecessary hate from LeaFland.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's pretty ridiculous for sure, that said even Van Gogh didn't always paint a masterpiece, it didnt matter that he was using the same canvas, same brushes and paints, lived in the same house. There were days they stayed inside his head and couldn't be put on canvas. In the end we're all pretty glad he didn't stop trying.
Wow, what an analogy. Poet in the house!

Reactions: Teeder Keon

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
His instincts and reads are second to none. Honestly, if he weren't a Leaf, the Datsyuk talk would be over the top. Yeah his shot and sometimes forcing plays. But more often that not, his stick work, hand eye, and read of the game are phenomenal.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hard to deny he is one of the best RW in the league.
He was 1st. team all star last year.

Top 10, 10 games played this year:
1669567451907.png

After his 1 shift benching, I think he's been a touch less risky with the puck.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think he's always been a sky high ceiling-low floor player going back to the 2015 draft debates. Like when he's off, it's really off, forcing things too much at the wrong pace, getting too fancy, maybe trying to dominate with skill that's not really suitable for this NHL level. When he's making scrappy plays in traffic and combining the vision with work rate and motoring that's when he thrives.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm so mad he is doing so well that I am going to the main boards to shit talk him for a spell!
:sarcasm:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Hard to deny he is one of the best RW in the league.
He was 1st. team all star last year.

Top 10, 10 games played this year:
View attachment 613595

After his 1 shift benching, I think he's been a touch less risky with the puck.
Marner is the best player we have. He plays PK, he's a PP catalyst, he plays defensively strong, he carries the offense. Whichever center he is with seems to be playing well. Coincidence? Don't think so.

How many of the guys on the list above play PK regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad