Marlies GDT: Marlies vs. Monsters, Series Talk | 4-0 Marlies | How does a team with Liljegren sweep? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I don't know about hype but come to a game and see for yourself. Sandin is by far and away the better defensive player. He is rock solid with the puck in his own end and he can take a big hit without falling over. You feel totally secure when Sandin has the puck. If anything you might be able to argue Lily has a little more offensive flair to his game. Keefe though chooses to play Sandin on PP. He has said Lily needs to be a little safer with the puck and reduce his turnovers. Lily needs to get better balance on his skates so he is not as easily on the ice. Sandin is much closer to the NHL than Lily. It really is not even close.

Do you think Lily will have a serious shot at the 3rd pair for next year on the Leafs?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
That’s not correct though. “Given every opportunity” to me means giving a player a trial on PP1. A couple of games at least. That’s an opportunity. Liljegren has yet to get that for PP1 this season, even before his injury when he was playing very well at both ends he was never given that extended look on PP1. I’m not arguing he deserved it over Rosen, but not all PP units have one defencemen, and many teams would give (in fact, did give) their recent 1st rounders that kind of opportunity in their D+2 years.

Sigh.... I don't enjoy it when I have to spend significant amounts of time looking up things to counter claims that I know to be wrong. I mean I get it. Go through my history, few have been bigger supporters of Liljegren than I have - going back to before the draft. But it needs to be tethered to reality. He has had it rough over the last 3 years with injuries and people should accept that he has not progressed as much as we had hoped at this point. Hopefully that changes next year.

I went through all the game logs. I went through a boat load of twitter posts from that time. For the first 10 games of the season Lilly was on PP1 with Grundstrom, Mueller, Timashov and Gagner. The PP2 alternated Nielsen (for the short duration he stayed with the Marlies) and Subban. Rosen didn't play on the PP until game 11 when his ES production (7 points at ES and 1 SH point in his first 10 games) forced himself onto the PP2 and then fairly quickly to the PP1. Sandin also started to move onto PP2 a bit around that time because he earned it as well (he missed the start of the season but in his first 3 games he already had more ES points than Liljegren who had played 11 games at that time). Sandin was often on a 2D PP2 with Borgman for the next bit.

So Liljegren played PP1 for the first 11 or 12 games of season 2. Soon thereafter other D like Rosen and Sandin started to take PP time away from his based on their strong ES production, and then their strong PP production when given the opportunity, and the reality that the PP was simply just ok with Liljegren. This is no different than Bracco, who also didn't start the season with much PP time at all (if I remember correctly he didn't have a PP point in his first 12 games of the season, and only 2 in the first 18 games), but worked his way up to PP2 and then PP1 based on his offensive performance at ES.

Liljegren was given PP time over Rosen in year one and often over Nielsen who had been so deadly on the PP the year before. His numbers were not great considering the amount of PP time he got. In year two he started out as the clear PP1 for the first 10+ games but then first Rosen and then Sandin surpassed him based on merit. There was no lack of opportunity.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good night Rochester. Marlies sweep one of the best teams in the league.

Some of the best hockey they've played all year. Kaskisuo is carrying them.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Good night Rochester. Marlies sweep one of the best teams in the league.

Some of the best hockey they've played all year. Kaskisuo is carrying them.

He's really impressed, especially in this third game. Third period the ice was totally tilted in Rochester's favour, 16 shots in total in the frame, more than periods 1 and 2 combined.

Reactions: JEI

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
it's crazy to think we actually have better coaching on the Marlies than the Leafs

Is it coaching or is there some kind of serious country club culture that gets bred into the Toronto Maple Leafs? Maybe they ought to start downgrading the team facilities to encourage more of an underdog atmosphere.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I don't think it matters at all what their experience is if they have experience from their Junior/Europe teams. Rosen for example played a lot of pro games as a RD. Move Rielly to the right with Muzzin, and keep Rosen as the #7 defenseman. Sounds easy enough for me.

At the end of the day, Sandin is way too good to be kept off the Leafs roster. Of course if there's enough depth, it's possible he starts with the Marlies and they go the Kapanen/Johnsson/Moore/Dermott route.
Cmon man you don’t seriously think that experience factors into whether they want to play a rookie on his off side?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marlies sweeping the Amerks is pretty huge. The Amerks were a damn good team and one of the favourites for the Calder cup.

I loved the way Keefe played his team to be perfectly honest. He played Sandin 25+ minutes almost every game. He had his top guys play top PP minutes. Giving his team the best chance to win.

The one thing Keefe got that he didn't get much of in the season was elite goaltending. Kaskisuo had a terrible season but had a ~.960% save percentage and under 2 GAA. That's huge.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Sigh.... I don't enjoy it when I have to spend significant amounts of time looking up things to counter claims that I know to be wrong. I mean I get it. Go through my history, few have been bigger supporters of Liljegren than I have - going back to before the draft. But it needs to be tethered to reality. He has had it rough over the last 3 years with injuries and people should accept that he has not progressed as much as we had hoped at this point. Hopefully that changes next year.

I went through all the game logs. I went through a boat load of twitter posts from that time. For the first 10 games of the season Lilly was on PP1 with Grundstrom, Mueller, Timashov and Gagner. The PP2 alternated Nielsen (for the short duration he stayed with the Marlies) and Subban. Rosen didn't play on the PP until game 11 when his ES production (7 points at ES and 1 SH point in his first 10 games) forced himself onto the PP2 and then fairly quickly to the PP1. Sandin also started to move onto PP2 a bit around that time because he earned it as well (he missed the start of the season but in his first 3 games he already had more ES points than Liljegren who had played 11 games at that time). Sandin was often on a 2D PP2 with Borgman for the next bit.

So Liljegren played PP1 for the first 11 or 12 games of season 2. Soon thereafter other D like Rosen and Sandin started to take PP time away from his based on their strong ES production, and then their strong PP production when given the opportunity, and the reality that the PP was simply just ok with Liljegren. This is no different than Bracco, who also didn't start the season with much PP time at all (if I remember correctly he didn't have a PP point in his first 12 games of the season, and only 2 in the first 18 games), but worked his way up to PP2 and then PP1 based on his offensive performance at ES.

Liljegren was given PP time over Rosen in year one and often over Nielsen who had been so deadly on the PP the year before. His numbers were not great considering the amount of PP time he got. In year two he started out as the clear PP1 for the first 10+ games but then first Rosen and then Sandin surpassed him based on merit. There was no lack of opportunity.

There is no denying Liljigren had a slow start to the season, but what you just said is so misleading it is pretty much a lie. The reason Sandin was put on the PP is because Liljigren had a serious foot injury 11-12 weeks into the season (early December and because of that wasn't able to go to the World Juniours) and was out of the lineup for a couple of months (I forget the exact amount of weeks). In fact I'm not even sure if Liljigren is fully recovered from that foot injury

I have no idea why you would try to mislead people like that, seems rather pathetic to me

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
There is no denying Liljigren had a slow start to the season, but what you just said is so misleading it is pretty much a lie. The reason Sandin was put on the PP is because Liljigren had a serious foot injury 11-12 weeks into the season (early December and because of that wasn't able to go to the World Juniours) and was out of the lineup for a couple of months (I forget the exact amount of weeks). In fact I'm not even sure if Liljigren is fully recovered from that foot injury

I have no idea why you would try to mislead people like that, seems rather pathetic to me

If by lie you mean completely 100% true, but you refuse to accept it because it doesn't match your beliefs, sure. I mean I went through all the game logs and you didn't do a single thing and don't know anything either.

Liljegren was injured during his (and the Marlies) 19th game. He did not have a single PP point from game 10 until that injury, and had only been on the ice for a single PP goal from the time of his 10th game until his injury during his 19th game. During that time he was getting significantly reduced PP time, with Rosen getting most of the PP1 and Sandin getting most of the PP2. That single PP goal that he was on the ice for occurred when the Marlies had back to back PPs. Sandin scored PP goals in games 14 and 18 (that is games 14 and 18 for the Marlies - and Liljegren - but games 6 and 10 Sandin).

If you want to talk about trying to mislead people and you want to talk about pathetic you should be talking about yourself.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
weird how goaltending was the reason for a slow Marlies start to the season, and now it's the reason for a series sweep, and it's the same guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad