Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel you'd want Robertson-Kerfoot(pass pass pass)-Hyman in that case

Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen
Robertson - Kerfoot - Hyman

Would be interesting. The player that Kapanen was from his suspension onward is someone that can play with Matthews or Tavares now. He seemed to figure out he can’t just be the skill guy on this team at ES.

It didn’t work before, but he took a real step forward IMO after his suspension. I’d be willing to give that top 9 a chance

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

Would be interesting. The player that Kapanen was from his suspension onward is someone that can play with Matthews or Tavares now. He seemed to figure out he can’t just be the skill guy on this team at ES.

It didn’t work before, but he took a real step forward IMO after his suspension. I’d be willing to give that top 9 a chance
This is nastyyyy

Reactions: Cor

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Kapanen-Nylander is an underrated combo, Nylander's transition game with teams needing to back off to respect Kapanen's speed would be on another level.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

This is why I'll be so upset if they trade Kapanen. He found some jam when they brought Clifford in and was playing like the type of player Leafs fans fall in love with.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is my end of the year prospect breakdown. These are subject to change if the hockey season resumes. I will start at the bottom at #20 and make my way to the top. There will be a separate post for every prospect. I will try to make one daily. By my criteria, Liljegren and Sandin are still prospects so they will be included in this one. I will also be revealing who I feel took the biggest step, dropped the most, and most underrated prospect and so on.

#1.
RHD. Timothy Liljegren
Overview

Let the controversy begin! Liljegren is our top prospect, but anyone who had read my posts on the boards shouldn’t be surprised. I do feel Sandi might offer a little more upside, key word is might, but Liljegren also has top pair potential. Lilly has had a lot of hype around him even just 2 years before to getting drafted. He was labelled as a top 3 picks right up there with Nolan Patrick in his draft year, but Lilly had an uneven draft season where he missed a significant amount of time with Mono, and when he came back, he looked off and not the same player we had seen. Scouts still felt he should be close to a top 10 pick though, however he ended up slipping where the Leafs were glad to take him 17th overall in 2017. With him not being from the CHL, Lilly had the option of either returning to the SHL in his D+1, head over to Niagara to play in the OHL, all though this was extremely unlikely, or join the Marlies in the AHL. Liljegren chose the Marlies,, where he played well for a teen defencemen. He played a sheltered 3rd pairing role for them in the Playoffs en route to a championship. Leafs decided to test him the next season, and give him tough matchups. In the first couple months of the season, he struggled in the role, and it didn’t help he got a major injury when he started to get going. After he returned, Lilly took major steps in his defensive game, even though he sacrificed offense in return as was intended. In the playoffs, Lilly was fantastic in his top pair matchup role, and was arguably the Marlies non goalie MVP, and he was a big reason Marlies made an unexpected run to the Conference Finals. This season the goal was to get his offensive game going while being reliable defensively, and he did just that. He was the Marlies best defenseman, while producing offensively and terrific on the other side. Even after the Marlies team just collapsed under new coach Greg Moore, Lillegren was single handily keeping the Marlies defence afloat. Lilly played a few games for the Leafs as well, where he looked fine but nervous. He will challenge for a spot on the Leafs defence next season, but with the depth and Leafs looking to make an upgrade on the right side, he might go to the Marlies to start.

Stats

2018/2019
AHL
GP: 43
Goals: 3
Assists: 12
Rating: -8

2019/2020
AHL
GP: 40
Goals: 5
Assists: 25
Rating: -4

NHL
GP: 11
Goals: 0
Assists: 1
Rating: -5
CF%: 43.65

Statistical Analysis

In his 2nd season, Lilly’s production was pretty much equal to his rookie season. As mentioned, he sacrificed offense that season, and it shows here. All though his ES P1/GP actually improved from his rookie season, but his PP numbers in the same stat dropped, which is kind of expected since Lilly’s PP time was way down. In the playoffs, his scoring still wasn’t great, but he was amazing, and this was shown in his possession stats done by Jeffler. His CF% was in the mid to high 60’s if I remember correctly, and his OZS% was 2nd lowest among defensively. Lilly now needed to take a step offensively the next season which he did. He was 21st in points despite playing less games than most of the leaders, and overall 7th PPG among defensemen who played at least 40 games. His ES P1/GP bascally tripled from the previous season. This put him 9th among all defensemen in the league. His PP numbers in the same stat also jumped now getting more PP time, and also placed him 9th in the same category. Add to that he still played great defensively. It was a terrific season for Lilly, and he did it as 20 year old. He just turned 21 on April 30th.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades:
Present/Future
Skating: 3.5/4
Shot: 4/4
Puck Skills: 4/4
Defence: 4/4.5
Compete: 3.5/3.5
IQ/Smarts: 4/4

This is an aspect I feel people have overstated for Liljegren. I have heard some say he is an elite skater. He isn’t. He skates pretty well and moves well across the ice. There is a bit of a hitch still which has improved, but it won’t hurt him in the NHL. His North South skating isn’t good as his lateral skating, and that’s where the hitch comes in. His first few steps are good, but after he looks a bit awkward, and as a result, his top speed is average. He has solid edge work though which helps him turn away from pressure. I don’t think he is an amazing skater, but he is more than fine.

He has some nice tools offensively. First of all is his passing. His stretch passes are probably the best in the organization, and they are incredibly accurate. He can make these passes no matter how he is skating. Backward, laterally, or under pressure, he makes these passes so the offense keeps moving. It’s to where his teammate is going. This also applies when he is in the rush as well. His backhand passes are just as good too. As a result, his transition game is really good when you have his passing ability. Last season, Lilly was a little too conservative in the offensive zone, and this season he has improved, but he won’t be the “attack the defensive kind of guy” in the offensive zone. I like his game in the blueline. He can hand on to the puck for long stretches, and can beat players with fake while moving across the line. He then sends a nice pass to a teammate for a good opportunity. His shot does have some power which surprised me. He gets some nice velocity on his one timer, and it does become a difficult shot to face for the goalie.

This is the biggest gain he has made in his game. He has now becomes a very good defensive player, and borderline dominant in the AHL. I would have given him a 2 in his rookie season, but he really has taken enormous steps. He can read plays that are coming fast, and seems to think a step ahead on what he should do. He will go to one man, but after reading there may be danger in another area near to him, and he has to make a read to stop the attack, he tells his teammate to take him, and then Lilly goes to the other situation to stop that play. It’s tough to understand here, but basically Lilly is aware of things around him, and reads plays, and then communicates well to his teammate on what to do. He also intercepts pucks well. He can look at the puck carrier’s position, and than based on that, he cuts them off and pokes the puck. He is constantly reading defensively. He is also really when defending on the puck. He closes gaps well, and looks to contest every shot that is coming. Related to his lateral mobility, he can get to loose pucks and looks for options to get away, while using his body. Sometimes when on the rush, he can get flat footed and let his man get away, but these are rare.

You get the required effort from Liljegren in the game. He also has a high effort level when defending in his zone, whether he defending the puck carrier, or just batting in the corners.

Liljegren is a smart player on the ice. His reads are usually correct on defense, and is aware of the situation around him. Yes at times he makes a bad turnover, but those are uncommon, and it doesn’t mean you need to drop a player's grade for it.

My future projection: He should be a solid NHL defenseman, and could play in the league now under sheltered minutes. I see him in time being a top 4 defenseman who can play on both special teams, and give you reliable minutes.

NHL Player? Yes

Surprise surprise @Kiwi @SeaOfBlue, Lilly at #1. Thoughts?

I will add @TheGoldenJet to this. Do you agree with the talent analysis?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's a shame both Robertson and Hyman are LW, that would be a nightmare of a line to face with someone like Engvall at C.
Pushing Hyman to his natural side will unleash more scoring. He still looks so much more comfortable there on the RW.

Reactions: shanwhatplan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is my end of the year prospect breakdown. These are subject to change if the hockey season resumes. I will start at the bottom at #20 and make my way to the top. There will be a separate post for every prospect. I will try to make one daily. By my criteria, Liljegren and Sandin are still prospects so they will be included in this one. I will also be revealing who I feel took the biggest step, dropped the most, and most underrated prospect and so on.

#1.
RHD. Timothy Liljegren
Overview

Let the controversy begin! Liljegren is our top prospect, but anyone who had read my posts on the boards shouldn’t be surprised. I do feel Sandi might offer a little more upside, key word is might, but Liljegren also has top pair potential. Lilly has had a lot of hype around him even just 2 years before to getting drafted. He was labelled as a top 3 picks right up there with Nolan Patrick in his draft year, but Lilly had an uneven draft season where he missed a significant amount of time with Mono, and when he came back, he looked off and not the same player we had seen. Scouts still felt he should be close to a top 10 pick though, however he ended up slipping where the Leafs were glad to take him 17th overall in 2017. With him not being from the CHL, Lilly had the option of either returning to the SHL in his D+1, head over to Niagara to play in the OHL, all though this was extremely unlikely, or join the Marlies in the AHL. Liljegren chose the Marlies,, where he played well for a teen defencemen. He played a sheltered 3rd pairing role for them in the Playoffs en route to a championship. Leafs decided to test him the next season, and give him tough matchups. In the first couple months of the season, he struggled in the role, and it didn’t help he got a major injury when he started to get going. After he returned, Lilly took major steps in his defensive game, even though he sacrificed offense in return as was intended. In the playoffs, Lilly was fantastic in his top pair matchup role, and was arguably the Marlies non goalie MVP, and he was a big reason Marlies made an unexpected run to the Conference Finals. This season the goal was to get his offensive game going while being reliable defensively, and he did just that. He was the Marlies best defenseman, while producing offensively and terrific on the other side. Even after the Marlies team just collapsed under new coach Greg Moore, Lillegren was single handily keeping the Marlies defence afloat. Lilly played a few games for the Leafs as well, where he looked fine but nervous. He will challenge for a spot on the Leafs defence next season, but with the depth and Leafs looking to make an upgrade on the right side, he might go to the Marlies to start.

Stats

2018/2019
AHL

2019/2020
AHL

NHL

Statistical Analysis

In his 2nd season, Lilly’s production was pretty much equal to his rookie season. As mentioned, he sacrificed offense that season, and it shows here. All though his ES P1/GP actually improved from his rookie season, but his PP numbers in the same stat dropped, which is kind of expected since Lilly’s PP time was way down. In the playoffs, his scoring still wasn’t great, but he was amazing, and this was shown in his possession stats done by Jeffler. His CF% was in the mid to high 60’s if I remember correctly, and his OZS% was 2nd lowest among defensively. Lilly now needed to take a step offensively the next season which he did. He was 21st in points despite playing less games than most of the leaders, and overall 7th PPG among defensemen who played at least 40 games. His ES P1/GP bascally tripled from the previous season. This put him 9th among all defensemen in the league. His PP numbers in the same stat also jumped now getting more PP time, and also placed him 9th in the same category. Add to that he still played great defensively. It was a terrific season for Lilly, and he did it as 20 year old. He just turned 21 on April 30th.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades:
Present/Future

This is an aspect I feel people have overstated for Liljegren. I have heard some say he is an elite skater. He isn’t. He skates pretty well and moves well across the ice. There is a bit of a hitch still which has improved, but it won’t hurt him in the NHL. His North South skating isn’t good as his lateral skating, and that’s where the hitch comes in. His first few steps are good, but after he looks a bit awkward, and as a result, his top speed is average. He has solid edge work though which helps him turn away from pressure. I don’t think he is an amazing skater, but he is more than fine.

He has some nice tools offensively. First of all is his passing. His stretch passes are probably the best in the organization, and they are incredibly accurate. He can make these passes no matter how he is skating. Backward, laterally, or under pressure, he makes these passes so the offense keeps moving. It’s to where his teammate is going. This also applies when he is in the rush as well. His backhand passes are just as good too. As a result, his transition game is really good when you have his passing ability. Last season, Lilly was a little too conservative in the offensive zone, and this season he has improved, but he won’t be the “attack the defensive kind of guy” in the offensive zone. I like his game in the blueline. He can hand on to the puck for long stretches, and can beat players with fake while moving across the line. He then sends a nice pass to a teammate for a good opportunity. His shot does have some power which surprised me. He gets some nice velocity on his one timer, and it does become a difficult shot to face for the goalie.

This is the biggest gain he has made in his game. He has now becomes a very good defensive player, and borderline dominant in the AHL. I would have given him a 2 in his rookie season, but he really has taken enormous steps. He can read plays that are coming fast, and seems to think a step ahead on what he should do. He will go to one man, but after reading there may be danger in another area near to him, and he has to make a read to stop the attack, he tells his teammate to take him, and then Lilly goes to the other situation to stop that play. It’s tough to understand here, but basically Lilly is aware of things around him, and reads plays, and then communicates well to his teammate on what to do. He also intercepts pucks well. He can look at the puck carrier’s position, and than based on that, he cuts them off and pokes the puck. He is constantly reading defensively. He is also really when defending on the puck. He closes gaps well, and looks to contest every shot that is coming. Related to his lateral mobility, he can get to loose pucks and looks for options to get away, while using his body. Sometimes when on the rush, he can get flat footed and let his man get away, but these are rare.

You get the required effort from Liljegren in the game. He also has a high effort level when defending in his zone, whether he defending the puck carrier, or just batting in the corners.

Liljegren is a smart player on the ice. His reads are usually correct on defense, and is aware of the situation around him. Yes at times he makes a bad turnover, but those are uncommon, and it doesn’t mean you need to drop a player's grade for it.

My future projection: He should be a solid NHL defenseman, and could play in the league now under sheltered minutes. I see him in time being a top 4 defenseman who can play on both special teams, and give you reliable minutes.

NHL Player? Yes

● He isn't a burner but he does have good 4-way mobility
● Good puck skills and ability to make a breakout pass with anticipation
● Sees the ice well, he also makes good reads and timely intelligent pinches at the Blue line
● Has the ability to compliment different styles of partner
● He's made a large defensive improvement, he's not perfect yet but its certainly coming along
● The ability to play on a PP and PK
● Good transition and puck carrying skills
● His shot has power but accuracy can be a bit hit and miss

I think the kid is going to be a very good player for a long time for us and I think he becomes a 2nd pair minute eating RD who has huge special teams utility we can use in all situations against tough competition, basically what this team desperately needs moving forward

He was a beast at the AHL level but he did struggle in the NHL this season and I think he's going to be better for that, he has shown during his Marlies career that whilst he may struggle early with exposure to improved competition he has the ability to improve, adapt and eventually thrive

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
● Sees the ice well, he also makes good reads and timely intelligent pinches at the Blue line
● He's made a large defensive improvement, he's not perfect yet but its certainly coming along

I think the kid is going to be a very good player for a long time for us and I think he becomes a 2nd pair minute eating RD who has huge special teams utility we can use in all situations against tough competition, basically what this team desperately needs moving forward

He was a beast at the AHL level but he did struggle in the NHL this season and I think he's going to be better for that, he has shown during his Marlies career that whilst he may struggle early with exposure to improved competition he has the ability to improve, adapt and eventually thrive
Yup agreed with it all. Keefe even mentioned in one of his interviews that Lilly takes time to get settled, but once he does, he is a great player.

Here is what he said.

"It remains to be seen at this level, but if you follow his progression at the AHL level, I see something similar happening here. It takes time for him to become comfortable and confident. At times he is unsure of himself, but then when it clicks as it did in the 2nd half of last season, he is a very reliable defensive player that is hard to play against because his gap control, and the way he shuts things down in the neutral zone and just his skill set. Once he gets the confidence to move with the puck and can make a play. I think he has adjusted to that quicker in this level I thought he might. He like Sandin and any young defenceman are still having times where it's a little inconsistent then you'd like because of the pressure the opposition puts on you, and it comes a little quicker. You can question yourself a little bit. It's why it's important to keep things in context with both of those 2 guys, and take things slowly, and pull back as we will do with Liljegren here tonight. I think he's just going to be an all round very good and very productive defenceman that can contribute in both special teams, and play against good players. Thats the track he was on in the American league. I have said it a lot but we forget he is only 20 years old. For a lot of cases, it would be a guy just coming into pro hockey, and just playing his 1st year in the American league. Instead, he's a guy who played in a game 7 in the Calder Cup and won it. Played in the top pairing last year and really thrived in that position all the way to the Conference finals. To me, he is ahead of the curve in a lot of ways, but he still is just 20, and Rasmus is 19.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

#1.
RHD. Timothy Liljegren
Overview

Stats

2018/2019
AHL

2019/2020
AHL

NHL

Statistical Analysis

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades:
Present/Future

NHL Player? Yes

Every game I saw live l came away impressed with his ability to play so calm under pressure. His breakouts were fantastic and his one on one gap control was great as well. One thing i will add is that there has been a huge improvement in his strength on the boards in front of the net. He used to get knocked down a lot. I don't see that anymore. He is built like a brick shithouse. One area I would like to see him improve is getting his shot through traffic. He has a great shot but I see him him hitting bodies with it alot.

While I think Lilly is the best Dman in the system at the moment because his all around mature game, I would probably still have Sandin at #1 due to his upside and the fact that he played so well in the AHL at 18 and has got quite a few NHL games already. Also was the best D man at the WJC. I view him as a bigger threat offensively. His reads are really good and has a crazy accurate shot that gets through. I watched him in warmups this year and he kept taking onetimers aiming for the far top corner and he doesn't miss. Still needs work in the defensive end with reads and strength.

It's great to finally have 2 blue chip Dmen in the system. Hopefully we can become a D factory like Nashville, or St.Louis.

Reactions: Kiwi and aingefan

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019

I was surprised by all the criticism he got for his play last year with the Leafs. Sure he made some mistakes, but he is exactly what we are looking for in a young RHD. Strong, mobile, handles the puck well, can play both special teams. I can see him and Dermott potentially being an ideal 2nd pair for years.

Reactions: Kiwi and aingefan

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Lilly is great, and anyone who has followed him knows that. I think he gets a lot of flak for not doing anything particularly elite, but is solid at every aspect of the game.

Reactions: Kiwi

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Lilly is great, and anyone who has followed him knows that. I think he gets a lot of flak for not doing anything particularly elite, but is solid at every aspect of the game.

I think he's just a victim of his outstanding early promise.

A few years ago people were thinking he was going to be a 1st/2nd overall pick, and I think their expectations weren't as reserved as they should have been when he fell to to 17th.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I can't wait for Liljegren to get settled in. He struggled a bit with his brief stint earlier this year in the NHL but those who have followed him in the AHL have seen what happens when he gets comfortable.

Reactions: kb

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

#2.
LHD. Rasmus Sandin
Overview

I wouldn’t entirely disagree if some have Sandin at #1. I get it with the steep developmetal curve he has been on as a late 1st rounder. As full time GM, Sandin was Dubas’s 1st pick for the team. I am going to be honest I wasn’t a fan of the pick at the time, but I am happy to be proven wrong. Sandin had a solid season for the Grey Hounds in his draft season, but we didn’t know the steps he was about to take after being drafted. Just like Liljegren, Sandin had multiple options. He could go down to the OHL, go to the SHL, and play in the AHL with Lilegren. He went to the AHL, and that decision ended up being absolutely the correct one. Sandin was tremendous as teen in the league, and he pretty much blew every reasonable expectation out the window. His game started to falter in the playoffs but that was expected. After a great training camp this season, Sandin made the Leafs as a 19 year old, and played decently in limited minutes, but it was best for his development to go back down. Sandin played well for the Marlies, but was being over shadowed by Liljegren. With injuries mounting for the Leafs, he was called back and played well in a somewhat increased role with rookie mistakes. If the season resumes, Sandin could potentially play a role in the playoffs for the Leafs if they make it, but that was still in question. Sandin will likely make the full time jump to the Leafs next season. He has a lot of potential and if developed properly, Leafs are looking at a home run.

Stats

2018/2019
AHL
GP: 4
Goals: 6
Assists: 28
Rating: -10

2019/2020
AHL
GP: 21
Goals: 2
Assists: 13
Rating: -2

NHL
GP: 28
Goals: 1
Assists: 7
Rating: -7
CF%: 54.33

Statistical Analysis

In terms of U21 defensemen who played in at least 40 games, Sandin was 1st in ES P1/GP in his rookie season. Sandin was in the 30’s on the PP in the same stat among all defenseman who played 40 games. Overall he was 37th in primary points/GP in this group. This season his ES rate slightly improved, but his PP scoring went down, and that’s really because of the limited games he played for the Marlies. While he didn’t produce much 5 on 5 for the Leafs as he was 6th worst on the team among players with 20 games in p/60, he was 6th best on the PP in the same stat on the PP. He drove play well for the Leafs though, as he was 2nd best on the team among players with 20 GP, all though he was expectedly sheltered in those minutes. He handled the NHL as well as you want for a 19 year old, and as he gets more games in, he should improve everywhere.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades:
Present/Future
Shot: 3/3.5
Defence: 2/4
IQ/Smarts: 3.5/4.5

People will disagree with this grade, but I gave the same grade for Liljegren. Sandin has great edge work, and he can move around opponents well with great escapbility. His foot speed is also average though, and could use more acceleration which I believe he will add. Overall he is a solid skater who is just missing one more piece to take another step.

Sandin is a good offensive player across the board. He has good vision on the ice, and can make some nice plays for good chances. I love his calmness with the puck, and able to make decisions with the puck offensively. He is a very good passer in all zones, as his passes are hard and accurate. He makes nice moves around players, and has some nice hands which allow him to get space. Even his shot is fine right now. It doesn’t have a lot of power, but it’s pretty accurate and somewhat deceptive. Even in the AHL, goalies sometimes didn’t look comfortable on his wrist shot. I think it becomes above average at maturity, since he it is something he has in his arsenal already.

For many young defensemen, the last aspect to improve is defensively, and Sandin is no different. He struggled here in the AHL too, with improvement this season. Sandin can let his man get by him when on the rush, and this happened with the Leafs as well. He would lose his man when defending in the zone. He did show improvement this season with the Marlies, but he still needs to work on it. I gave it a 4 at maturity, because like Liljegern, I feel he will improve and it will be a strength of his in the future. All these errors will improve with more experience, so there isn’t any need to worry.

Pretty much copy paste from the Lijegren report for compete

For the most, Sandin is a smart player on the ice, all though he can some bad turnovers in the defensive zone. This is why it goes 3.5, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his decisions improve dramatically, so I would him as 4.5 as a FV.

My future projection: He is a solid player already, with a lot of room to grow. He should be a great player but he isn’t there yet, but the upside is really high

NHL Player? Yes
Thoughts @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue, @TheGoldenJet?
Finally done all 20.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

#2.
LHD. Rasmus Sandin
Overview

I wouldn’t entirely disagree if some have Sandin at #1. I get it with the steep developmetal curve he has been on as a late 1st rounder. As full time GM, Sandin was Dubas’s 1st pick for the team. I am going to be honest I wasn’t a fan of the pick at the time, but I am happy to be proven wrong. Sandin had a solid season for the Grey Hounds in his draft season, but we didn’t know the steps he was about to take after being drafted. Just like Liljegren, Sandin had multiple options. He could go down to the OHL, go to the SHL, and play in the AHL with Lilegren. He went to the AHL, and that decision ended up being absolutely the correct one. Sandin was tremendous as teen in the league, and he pretty much blew every reasonable expectation out the window. His game started to falter in the playoffs but that was expected. After a great training camp this season, Sandin made the Leafs as a 19 year old, and played decently in limited minutes, but it was best for his development to go back down. Sandin played well for the Marlies, but was being over shadowed by Liljegren. With injuries mounting for the Leafs, he was called back and played well in a somewhat increased role with rookie mistakes. If the season resumes, Sandin could potentially play a role in the playoffs for the Leafs if they make it, but that was still in question. Sandin will likely make the full time jump to the Leafs next season. He has a lot of potential and if developed properly, Leafs are looking at a home run.

Stats

2018/2019
AHL
GP: 4
Goals: 6
Assists: 28
Rating: -10

2019/2020
AHL
GP: 21
Goals: 2
Assists: 13
Rating: -2

NHL
GP: 28
Goals: 1
Assists: 7
Rating: -7
CF%: 54.33

Statistical Analysis

In terms of U21 defensemen who played in at least 40 games, Sandin was 1st in ES P1/GP in his rookie season. Sandin was in the 30’s on the PP in the same stat among all defenseman who played 40 games. Overall he was 37th in primary points/GP in this group. This season his ES rate slightly improved, but his PP scoring went down, and that’s really because of the limited games he played for the Marlies. While he didn’t produce much 5 on 5 for the Leafs as he was 6th worst on the team among players with 20 games in p/60, he was 6th best on the PP in the same stat on the PP. He drove play well for the Leafs though, as he was 2nd best on the team among players with 20 GP, all though he was expectedly sheltered in those minutes. He handled the NHL as well as you want for a 19 year old, and as he gets more games in, he should improve everywhere.

Talent Analysis
Breakdown of grades:
1- Poor
2- Below average
3- Average
4- Good
5- Great

Player Grades:
Present/Future
Shot: 3/3.5
Defence: 2/4
IQ/Smarts: 3.5/4.5

People will disagree with this grade, but I gave the same grade for Liljegren. Sandin has great edge work, and he can move around opponents well with great escapbility. His foot speed is also average though, and could use more acceleration which I believe he will add. Overall he is a solid skater who is just missing one more piece to take another step.

Sandin is a good offensive player across the board. He has good vision on the ice, and can make some nice plays for good chances. I love his calmness with the puck, and able to make decisions with the puck offensively. He is a very good passer in all zones, as his passes are hard and accurate. He makes nice moves his around players, and has some nice hands which allow him to get space. Even his shot is fine right now. It doesn’t have a lot of power, but it’s pretty accurate and somewhat deceptive. Even in the AHL, goalies sometimes didn’t look comfortable on his wrist shot. I think it becomes above average at maturity, since he it is something he has in his arsenal already.

For many young defensemen, the last aspect to improve is defensively, and Sandin is no different. He struggled here in the AHL too, with improvement this season. Sandin can let his man get by him when on the rush, and this happened with the Leafs as well. He would lose his man when defending in the zone. He did show improvement this season with the Marlies, but he still needs to work on it. I gave it a 4 at maturity, because like Liljegern, I feel he will improve and it will be a strength of his in the future. All these errors will improve with more experience, so there isn’t any need to worry.

Pretty much copy paste from the Lijegren report for compete

For the most, Sandin is a smart player on the ice, all though he can some bad turnovers in the defensive zone. This is why it goes 3.5, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his decisions improve dramatically, so I would him as 4.5 as a FV.

My future projection: He is a solid player already, with a lot of room to grow. He should be a great player but he isn’t there yet, but the upside is really high

NHL Player? Yes
Thoughts @Kiwi and @SeaOfBlue, @TheGoldenJet?
Finally done all 20.

I'd probably disagree with you Stickty and have Sandin at #1, Robertson at #2 and Liljeren at #3 but all 3 of them are excellent prospects So I think that is more personal preference than any noticeable difference in ability or ceiling

On to Sandin
● Strong 4-way mobility, straight line speed is meh
● Nice instincts and offensive vision, he also makes a solid outlet pass and has enough skill to make plays in traffic
● Defensive improvement and as he gains strength I can see it becoming a strength of his game, I liked him on the PK for the Marlies
● Underrated physicality that will become a strength as he develops
● His shot is so so for power but its accurate and he gets it through
● makes good pinches to keep the puck in and walks the Blue line extremely well

The kids a beast, he was awesome on the Marlies and whilst he was overpowered physically on the Leafs at times he didn't look out of place at the NHL level under some extremely trying circumstances, it's amazing a kid that age looked that good

I'm going to say the same thing I said about him I said about Liljeren, I think he's going to be a good 2nd pair minute eating defenseman who plays on both special teams that we can use against quality competition in all situations who plays for the Leafs a long time

Just a great pick, kudos to our amateur scouts and front office for getting this gem that late in the 1st, he's a feather in Dubas cap (like Robertson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad