Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I can see Niemela developing into a Brodie type d man if all goes well. A guy that plays well defensively disrupting plays, great in transition and can add 30-35 pts. Even sub in on the PP with injuries. Lets hope!

I agree that Akhtyamov is a project but I disagree with his assessment of his play style and projecting his skillset. Just because he isn't your typical cookie cutter cut out that we are used to seeing with all butterfly goalies coming up through the younger age groups doesn't mean his style won't work in the NHL. Thomas, Quick are a couple examples. Sometimes unorthodox is a good thing because it is unpredictable for the shooters. I know I've played against standup or unorthodox goalies and our shooters can't figure out how to beat them.
I didn't even think of Brodie but I think thats a fine comparison. A Brodie would be amazing if Niemela turns into him.
I'm with you on Artur. He also said he doesn't see NHL talent in him but I disagree. His ability seems pretty good, and guys like Pronman he has NHL level ability as a goalie
Rindell's also tied for 7th in the Liiga for most points by a defensemen.....and he's the 2nd youngest D in the top 10, behind only Heinola (WPG 1st rounder).

He's also up there with names like Valimaki (1st rd), Laaksonen (3rd rd), Saarijarvi (3rd rd), etc. Can't ask for much more from a 6th rounder at this point.

Yeah I'm liking this pick a lot. Older but still a great season so far.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I didn't even think of Brodie but I think thats a fine comparison. A Brodie would be amazing if Niemela turns into him.
I'm with you on Artur. He also said he doesn't see NHL talent in him but I disagree. His ability seems pretty good, and guys like Pronman he has NHL level ability as a goalie

Imagine him (and Kokkonen) on an average or even good team.

Reactions: Morgs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can see Niemela developing into a Brodie type d man if all goes well. A guy that plays well defensively disrupting plays, great in transition and can add 30-35 pts. Even sub in on the PP with injuries. Lets hope!

I agree that Akhtyamov is a project but I disagree with his assessment of his play style and projecting his skillset. Just because he isn't your typical cookie cutter cut out that we are used to seeing with all butterfly goalies coming up through the younger age groups doesn't mean his style won't work in the NHL. Thomas, Quick are a couple examples. Sometimes unorthodox is a good thing because it is unpredictable for the shooters. I know I've played against standup or unorthodox goalies and our shooters can't figure out how to beat them.

I think an unorthodox style is fine as long as you have the people in house that can work with the kid and make the most of his game

One of the benefits of a butterfly goaltender is that most goalie coaches have worked with that style of player and have some idea of whats needed to make them better and get the most out of them

I'm presuming we have those people since we picked him but it is something to think about

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Imagine him (and Kokkonen) on an average or even good team.
Yup. I think especially in Kokkonen's case, it would really help him. Having a decent D core around him other then Rindell would be be of great benefit. In that case, I think his production would even jump

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I think an unorthodox style is fine as long as you have the people in house that can work with the kid and make the most of his game

One of the benefits of a butterfly goaltender is that most goalie coaches have worked with that style of player and have some idea of whats needed to make them better and get the most out of them

I'm presuming we have those people since we picked him but it is something to think about
I admit I haven't seen a lot of tape on him. Mostly just what few highlights have been posted on YouTube. From what I can tell, he has good rebound control for a guy that plays aggressive. He deflects a lot of pucks into the corners which is what you want. Someone like Reimer or Sparks would shoot his rebounds right back out into the slot.

In that podcast, he talked about how Artur would make unconventional save selections on shots. Something like a one knee down instead of full butterfly. So what? He is reacting to a shot and makes the save while staying upright and ready to move for the next shot. That is old school Brodeur and if it works, don't change it. For example if he is reacting to a shot coming from the left side and the puck is heading to his right pad/blocker, the rebound comes out to the right and his left foot is still planted. He can then push off right away after making the save to recover for the rebound. A goalie who goes into full butterfly on the same play would then have to raise his left foot to get a push to do the same thing. So Artur would actually have an advantage there.

He is an aggressive goalie that just needs to calm his game down a bit like most young goalies and make sure there is no wasted movements or energy. I would like to watch him more but I don't see a guy without NHL ability. Unorthodox? Sure but if the puck stays out of the net, who cares. He has lots of time to develop.

Reactions: Morgs

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Ovchinnikov is definitely too good for the MHL

Most of this ppg group is older and has already been promoted to the K (and then there is Kulkov). The Snapes big club is in 17th place and doesn't seem to have given Dubakin a big push after the promotion so maybe MHL is better for him now than riding the lines in the KHL

9.png
Kirill Marchenko (LW)
SKA-1946 St. Petersburg23473.5006
9.png
Danil Alalykin (F)
Tolpar Ufa35493.0007
9.png
Pavel Dorofeyev (LW/RW)
Belye Medvedi Chelyabinsk22242.0023
9.png
Artyom Kulakov (D)
Omskie Yastreby22242.0002
9.png
Roman Malkov (D)
Loko Yaroslavl10222.0042
9.png
Emil Galiaskarov (F)
Irbis Kazan1099181.802711
9.png
Dmitri Ovchinnikov (F)
Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk191119301.5825
9.png
Sergei Dubakin (F)
Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk13119201.54610
9.png
Maxim Nevolin (F)
Almaz Cherepovets181314271.50187
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Elite Prospects - MHL Stats 2020-2021

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
also got a shorthanded breakaway for himself. Obviously his production is very very impressive, but he has a complete overall game and plays strong defensively too. If Dubas trades up for a player, it's a pretty safe bet that they're going to be good
The Leafs next year need to find a VHL team for him. He has outgrown this competition. IDK how they would do that since I'm not sure how the Leafs would communicate with other teams, but it's something they should do.
I thought his acceleration was excellent on that breakaway. Heard his skating isn't great, but from what I have seen, it's good.
I admit I haven't seen a lot of tape on him. Mostly just what few highlights have been posted on YouTube. From what I can tell, he has good rebound control for a guy that plays aggressive. He deflects a lot of pucks into the corners which is what you want. Someone like Reimer or Sparks would shoot his rebounds right back out into the slot.

In that podcast, he talked about how Artur would make unconventional save selections on shots. Something like a one knee down instead of full butterfly. So what? He is reacting to a shot and makes the save while staying upright and ready to move for the next shot. That is old school Brodeur and if it works, don't change it. For example if he is reacting to a shot coming from the left side and the puck is heading to his right pad/blocker, the rebound comes out to the right and his left foot is still planted. He can then push off right away after making the save to recover for the rebound. A goalie who goes into full butterfly on the same play would then have to raise his left foot to get a push to do the same thing. So Artur would actually have an advantage there.

He is an aggressive goalie that just needs to calm his game down a bit like most young goalies and make sure there is no wasted movements or energy. I would like to watch him more but I don't see a guy without NHL ability. Unorthodox? Sure but if the puck stays out of the net, who cares. He has lots of time to develop.
Thanks for the detail. Nice to have a goalie analyst on here:)

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Too old to be on my prospect list anymore, but it popped on my twitter and he's technically(?) still Leafs property.

Edit: is Joe too old to be considered a prospect?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
At what point does Hallander's lack of production become a concern? 136th in the entire SHL in points. 12th on his team in points. Has the 2nd lowest number of goals for forwards on Lulea with minimum 10GP.

He brings a lot more to the table than points but statistically it's been a weak start. Probably the worst since his draft year. He's not assertive enough offensively from the games i've watched.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
At what point does Hallander's lack of production become a concern? 136th in the entire SHL in points. 12th on his team in points. Has the 2nd lowest number of goals for forwards on Lulea with minimum 10GP.

He brings a lot more to the table than points but statistically it's been a weak start. Probably the worst since his draft year. He's not assertive enough offensively from the games i've watched.
I would like to see him produce a little more but I’m not too concerned about it

Reactions: Saint Blue

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I'm a little concerned about it too seeing how his production hasn't improved despite his oiSH% going up.

The one major positive we can take is his team is SIGNIFICANTLY better with him on the ice. Lulea is a good team, he makes them great. May be a frustrating guy where you can see his ability to drive play in the right direction but the production never really gets above 3rd line level.

Reactions: Saint Blue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
With the other tools Hallander has, you are still looking at a 3rd line player even if the production doesn't catch up. He also can play a complementry role to a scoring line, much like how Hyman does. Hallander offensive skillset is above what Hyman's was at all though Hyman improved.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Prospect of the week #7
This one was made easier today after Ovchinnikov's 5 point game today. He had 7 points in 3 games this week. 5 coming at ES, and 1 on the PP and a SH goal as well.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It's been a while since the Leafs have had this much representation at the WJC. Maybe the year Marner, Nylander and Matthews were there?

Matthews wasn't Leafs property yet and I think that was the year Nylander got hit in the head during the first game and missed the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad