Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Another guy having a fantastic season in a pro league. I wish I knew he was playing today!

He should be coming over to NA in the next year or two. Looks like a another potential NHL talent late in the draft.
Yeah I'm pretty high on him. Another high IQ player with nice tools.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Am I seeing this correctly in that he is the second player coming in and doing a backhand pass?
That was a Marner type pass

I watched it 20 times and it's why I couldn't figure out if he should've got the primary or not. He got the secondary, so it has to be assumed he didn't make that pass and the Jukurit player tipped it.... unfortunately.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
To be honest, last year was a little underwhelming for him as well... started like a house on fire and then he was pretty much around a point per game for most of the season. He never really took the step I thought he could in the OHL, but it seems like the change of scenery might be working wonders for him right now. Hope that keeps up
Thats fair. I think the AHL will tell the story still, but him to be performing in the KHL is a great sign.
I watched it 20 times and it's why I couldn't figure out if he should've got the primary or not. He got the secondary, so it has to be assumed he didn't make that pass and the Jukurit player tipped it.... unfortunately.
IDK. The way SDA reacted and pointed to the scorer "thats you" I felt like he did make the pass. Whatever in that play, an assist is an assist.

Reactions: Morgs

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He looks awesome everywhere except for the OHL which makes absolutely no sense to me.
I think some of it is just that SDA is a very high IQ player and sometimes it can be hard to have chemistry with lower level teammates who just can't process the game like him. He also seems like a competitive guy, and probably elevates his game the harder the competition is. My only concern from him at the OHL level is a lack of goal scoring, but if he can be reliable in all 3 zones and can be a very high level playmaker he might be fine even if he can't score goals

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Robertson chasing Leafs job means missing family’s ‘most important day' - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO -- There is the U.S. Thanksgiving celebration Nick Robertson imagines and the one he is actually experiencing today.

The gulf between them is wide.

“If I would have a choice, it would be with my whole family back home in Michigan with the snow,” said Robertson. “We’d just have maybe like there’s Honey Baked ham ... that we like. Just being around family, friends, girlfriends, all that stuff; bring them over and just kind of enjoy ourselves."

“That would be my fantasy Thanksgiving.”

The 19-year-old Toronto Maple Leafs hopeful relays this vision from the small suburban Airbnb he’s rented while working towards turning his professional dreams into reality. He’s living on his own now for the first time. The new domestic responsibilities have taken some adjustment and Robertson chuckles while retelling a story about sending all the fire alarms blaring in the apartment after he tried pan frying a steak in the oven.

Robertson last stepped foot in the United States in May.

That’s when last he saw his parents, Mercedes and Hugh, or any of his four siblings. The California kid with strong Michigan roots made the difficult decision to remain in Canada after the Maple Leafs were eliminated from the NHL’s return-to-play in August because he felt it gave him the best opportunity to get ready for the coming season.

While his parents and a couple siblings are together in Northville, Mich., Nick is back working at the Leafs practice facility. He approaches his craft with a single-minded determination that belies his age. Robertson is inside the facility four times per week and averages more than three hours a visit, split between sessions in the gym and on the ice.

That work is a source of his confidence and part of a plan to earn a roster spot after an off-season where the Leafs added six other forwards through trades or free agency.

Now three months beyond his NHL debut -- Robertson played four playoff games inside the bubble against Columbus -- and two months after his 19th birthday, he’s back in the lab making adjustments and closely studying the tape of his performance versus the Blue Jackets.

“I think I did pretty well,” said Robertson, who scored a goal and averaged 12 minutes per night. “I think you can tell I was a little frantic or nervous, but that’s to be expected given the position we were in. You know we were in playoffs and I was playing the same team over and over and over again and with all this COVID stuff, too -- no fans -- like it was just a weird type of hockey."

“I think I’ve adapted to it now and I think the confidence is up there for myself again.”

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Robertson chasing Leafs job means missing family’s ‘most important day' - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO -- There is the U.S. Thanksgiving celebration Nick Robertson imagines and the one he is actually experiencing today.

The gulf between them is wide.

“If I would have a choice, it would be with my whole family back home in Michigan with the snow,” said Robertson. “We’d just have maybe like there’s Honey Baked ham ... that we like. Just being around family, friends, girlfriends, all that stuff; bring them over and just kind of enjoy ourselves."

“That would be my fantasy Thanksgiving.”

The 19-year-old Toronto Maple Leafs hopeful relays this vision from the small suburban Airbnb he’s rented while working towards turning his professional dreams into reality. He’s living on his own now for the first time. The new domestic responsibilities have taken some adjustment and Robertson chuckles while retelling a story about sending all the fire alarms blaring in the apartment after he tried pan frying a steak in the oven.

Robertson last stepped foot in the United States in May.

That’s when last he saw his parents, Mercedes and Hugh, or any of his four siblings. The California kid with strong Michigan roots made the difficult decision to remain in Canada after the Maple Leafs were eliminated from the NHL’s return-to-play in August because he felt it gave him the best opportunity to get ready for the coming season.

While his parents and a couple siblings are together in Northville, Mich., Nick is back working at the Leafs practice facility. He approaches his craft with a single-minded determination that belies his age. Robertson is inside the facility four times per week and averages more than three hours a visit, split between sessions in the gym and on the ice.

That work is a source of his confidence and part of a plan to earn a roster spot after an off-season where the Leafs added six other forwards through trades or free agency.

Now three months beyond his NHL debut -- Robertson played four playoff games inside the bubble against Columbus -- and two months after his 19th birthday, he’s back in the lab making adjustments and closely studying the tape of his performance versus the Blue Jackets.

“I think I did pretty well,” said Robertson, who scored a goal and averaged 12 minutes per night. “I think you can tell I was a little frantic or nervous, but that’s to be expected given the position we were in. You know we were in playoffs and I was playing the same team over and over and over again and with all this COVID stuff, too -- no fans -- like it was just a weird type of hockey."

“I think I’ve adapted to it now and I think the confidence is up there for myself again.”
Kind of cool that he's been staying with Muzzin. Can never hurt to see how a guy like that treats his NHL offseason.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Looks like Rindell got an assist on the OT goal too. 1G + 2A today.
Loponen got a primary assist on the PP.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The concern about Rindell is his defense. He could put up a PPG in the Liiga and never come close to being an NHL defenseman if his defensive game does not improve (unless he can put up huge numbers in the NHL as well).

Reactions: hockeynorth

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The concern about Rindell is his defense. He could put up a PPG in the Liiga and never come close to being an NHL defenseman if his defensive game does not improve (unless he can put up huge numbers in the NHL as well).
It's obviously a huge project, but one of the things Leafs development system has shown is improve a player's defensive game. You would rather take a chance on someone like Rindell then say a Devane.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Looks like Rindell got an assist on the OT goal too. 1G + 2A today.
Loponen got a primary assist on the PP.
Another positive is he is still a close to break even possession player on a bad team. He and Kokkonen are still standing out depite what's around them. Now Kokkonen is a way better prospect, but still it's good to see Rindell looking good.
I wasn't a huge fan picking Rindell, but he's growing on me.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Another positive is he is still a close to break even possession player on a bad team. He and Kokkonen are still standing out depite what's around them. Now Kokkonen is a way better prospect, but still it's good to see Rindell looking good.
I wasn't a huge fan picking Rindell, but he's growing on me.

Yeah. Despite the fact he has a bad defensive reputation and this is technically his D+3, he's one of the few defenseman on the team with a positive rel.CF% while not having cushy zone starts and the 2nd highest defensive ATOI. That all combined with his production this season is an overall fantastic season so far.

Definitely no Kokkonen or Niemela, but Rindell is definitely making a case as a legit prospect.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
For reference, here's Rindell's statline this season (so far):

Axel Rindell (20)
GP16
Points11
rel.CF%6.8%
ATOI20:10
OZS47.0%
oiSH%9.4%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He and Kokkonen are quite clearly carrying Jukurit's blueline.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah. Despite the fact he has a bad defensive reputation and this is technically his D+3, he's one of the few defenseman on the team with a positive rel.CF% while not having cushy zone starts and the 2nd highest defensive ATOI. That all combined with his production this season is an overall fantastic season so far.

Definitely no Kokkonen or Niemela, but Rindell is definitely making a case as a legit prospect.

For reference, here's Rindell's statline this season (so far):

Axel Rindell (20)
GP16
Points11
rel.CF%6.8%
ATOI20:10
OZS47.0%
oiSH%9.4%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He and Kokkonen are quite clearly carrying Jukurit's blueline.
Rindell has certainly made an impression. That D core goes as far as they take it.
On another topic, have you seen anything on Miettenin for the World Juniors? I know his season starts on December 1st, but haven't seen anything on his Finland chances. I know Wheeler had him making the team.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
We have a lot of intriguing dman on the way. We’re not going to hit on all of them but you got to think one of them turns out to be something more than a bottom pairing guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->