Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
if korshkov and engvall can kill penalties I know where there is an opening.

wouldn't lose sleep losing any of the waiver candidates.
They saw a lot of time together on the PK today. Korshkov scored short handed today, Engvall had one of the assists on the play.

Only thing Engvall needs to do better is be more consistent physically. He's got everything else going for him right now.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Engvall and Korshkovs development paths are so interesting to me. Drafted two years and 5 rounds apart but are born the same year, and both look to be at similar points as long term projects. Both have had a number of injuries in the past as well that could have ruined their development.

If Engvall can play center half decently he's a much bigger threat than Gauthier, and just about anybody is better than Shore.

Reactions: teddygmr

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think we will see a very average trade instead of a firing

If a deal gets them a backup that is significant. Fingers are crossed because I sure don't see Kaski & Hutch suiting up for another 10 or 15 starts. If it involves a goalie or Barrie it isn't a meh trade, and if it doesn't, why bother?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If a deal gets them a backup that is significant. Fingers are crossed because I sure don't see Kaski & Hutch suiting up for another 10 or 15 starts. If it involves a goalie or Barrie it isn't a meh trade, and if it doesn't, why bother?

If a Kadri trade ends up in a so so backup, a gritty 4th liner and Kerfoot it's going to be a baaaad trade

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Big third period from Michael Hutchinson to win the game for the Marlies.

Pierre Engvall is this years breakout player. He will be on the Leafs next year if this keeps up. Korshkov looks great too. Well rounded players. Seeing their success I'm disappointed that Marchment hasn't suited up yet, I thought he'd take a step this year as well.

Brooks is improving each year.

Big hit in the 2nd period by Lindgren was probably the hit of the game. Harpur also fought Mersch.
Dubas does like his toughness. Too bad Babcock doesn't.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They saw a lot of time together on the PK today. Korshkov scored short handed today, Engvall had one of the assists on the play.

Only thing Engvall needs to do better is be more consistent physically. He's got everything else going for him right now.

But does he ever finish checks? The Goat kind of rubs people off the puck sometimes but plays like he is afraid to actually knock someone down. That sets the bar pretty low for physicality and offensively Engvall at 14 games close to where FG is at 56. You can't make sheep into gritty players if it isn't in their nature but is one solid hit a night too much to ask? I would love to see how his foot speed compares to the current bottom 6.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
But does he ever finish checks? The Goat kind of rubs people off the puck sometimes but plays like he is afraid to actually knock someone down. That sets the bar pretty low for physicality and offensively Engvall at 14 games close to where FG is at 56. You can't make sheep into gritty players if it isn't in their nature but is one solid hit a night too much to ask? I would love to see how his foot speed compares to the current bottom 6.
He was pretty aggressive last year in the playoffs. He was one of the more physical players. Played on a checking line with Timashov and Korshkov and they were very hard to play against physically. Engvall won the fittest Leaf in camp and has shown improvements in his skating and point totals early in the year all at center ice. If he brought that element on a consistent basis he'd put himself more on the radar. Gauthier has played a more physical game than Engvall so far this season in the games I've seen, Engvall hasn't done enough that way for me so far. But, he's really just got to turn on the switch.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
If a Kadri trade ends up in a so so backup, a gritty 4th liner and Kerfoot it's going to be a baaaad trade

We’re past looking at ‘losing’ the trade. We need to salvage this team and that means firing Babcock. And if Barrie still doesn’t respond we trade him for anything to get him away from the team.

My advice is don’t be so invested in winning or losing a past trade, there’s so many factors to consider over years and years, it’s a pointless task. Ex: Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel, we don’t have Matthews or this team at all right now. Or we have won multiple cups under a core of Seguin/Hall whoever. See, pointless.

Reactions: DeadEye and Kiwi

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think Korshkov and Engvall are going to stay down on the Marlies that much longer. Agostino and Aberg have been doing really well as well.

Might be time for a big mix up of depth players.

Reactions: teddygmr

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Yes... wasn't it the Boston game, that he absolutely destroyed someone behind our net?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Sure his Soo teams did as well.

His Soo teams were speed, skill and IQ. That's what he drafted.

But the players bought in. You want to win, you work. You want to stay in the lineup, you work. You want to get drafted, you work.

Tougher to motivate NHLers I guess, especially rich ones who will always be handed opportunities, but it's an attitude. The guys on the Marlies do it, and you can often see that the hardest, most consistent workers on the Leafs usually started on the Marlies under Keefe. Kapanen, Dermott, Johnsson, Hyman, Moore, Timashov, Gauthier, Holl... I don't think any of them have many problems with consistency or effort.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Does he need to knock someone down?

Marlies didn't really knock anyone down today except Lindgren's hit, but he got penalized for it.

The Marlies were physical, but it was not through big hits. They would use their bodies to protect the puck and separate their opponents from it. They didn't lead with their sticks, but they still used them effectively. That's how they were able to hound the Stars on our forecheck, and they cut out a lot of theirs the same way.

If the Leafs could do that, I could care less about big hits.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Prospect of the week
2 players in contention. SDA and Abramov. They both had 4 points in 2 games. Abramov however had 3 ES points and 1 PP point, while SDA had 2 points at ES and 2 on the PP. So based on that, I am giving to Abramov for the 2nd straight week.

Reactions: Kiwi

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
His Soo teams were speed, skill and IQ. That's what he drafted.

But the players bought in. You want to win, you work. You want to stay in the lineup, you work. You want to get drafted, you work.

Tougher to motivate NHLers I guess, especially rich ones who will always be handed opportunities, but it's an attitude. The guys on the Marlies do it, and you can often see that the hardest, most consistent workers on the Leafs usually started on the Marlies under Keefe. Kapanen, Dermott, Johnsson, Hyman, Moore, Timashov, Gauthier, Holl... I don't think any of them have many problems with consistency or effort.
Yes, he values speed and skill over toughness, but he doesn't disdain toughness.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Prospect of the week
2 players in contention. SDA and Abramov. They both had 4 points in 2 games. Abramov however had 3 ES points and 1 PP point, while SDA had 2 points at ES and 2 on the PP. So based on that, I am giving to Abramov for the 2nd straight week.

Probably would have given it to Kara for 3 goals in 2 KHL games in only 13:16 time on ice combined in the 2 games but I've seen he's a controversial topic around here so maybe I'll step back :laugh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Prospect of the month #2
There are 2 players who could get it this month. Abramov and Kral. Abramov had 15 points in 10 games while Kral had 14 in 10 games as well. 11 of Abramov's 15 points came at ES, with one coming on an empty netter. Kral had 10 points at even strength. They were pretty much identical this month, and I'm not using plus minus in this situation as there is a big difference in the quality of each team. Just like the 1st month, I am choosing co winners so both Kral and Abramov get the award.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Probably would have given it to Kara for 3 goals in 2 KHL games in only 13:16 time on ice combined in the 2 games but I've seen he's a controversial topic around here so maybe I'll step back :laugh:
Lol, he should have been in contention but the other 2 had more points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad