Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - The AHL is up and prospects are in play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
so could Rodian sign an ATO and finish the year with the Marlies? Doesn't appear to be outlined in the plan his agent posted on social media, but is that theoretically possible?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
His rights still belong to the Growlers and he still has a connection to the organization. The Marlies told him to go back over there.

Verroneau is done in NA. He is not good and he is old. He can make a career in Europe but he is turning 26 this year and wasn't full time AHL quality.

Zhukov could split with Scott in the ECHL next year.
Growlers retained his rights, but it frankly means little other than he can't sign with or be loaned without permission to another ECHL club; otherwise, I believe his AHL contract is up. Though, that said, sounds like the Growlers really worked with him to get him home at the start of the pandemic last year, so I'm sure that fostered some good faith.

I know Veronneau is a stretch, haha. But he only got into 3 Marlies games last year, and has played well in Sweden. I don't think he'll be an NHLer, but I just like him as a player (admittedly wanted him in the 2019 sweepstakes before OTT signed him) and willing to let him work with our trainers to see if we can get his game to translate.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'm pretty disappointed Kokkonen signed a two year extension in the Liiga, I want him with our Dev staff asap.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Crowded for now, but I assume Lilly and Sandin will be part of the black aces group for the playoff run. So it likely will present more playing time for Kokennen and Kral down with the Marlies

My main point being, there might be a lot of bodies, but outside of Lilly, Sandin and Rosen, none that I'm worried about bumping out, so that legitimate long-term prospects get playing time. Even Rosen isn't a legitimate prospect, but he's mostly been decent.

Todd03

May 28, 2016
the marlies coach is the shittest ever. Misusing every player on the team. and the development
of some of the rookies has gone backwards. To name a few Conrad, Brazeau, Rukins, Elynuik, and
Robertson is over rated. And he likes to blame loses on the players. When its him not getting the team ready to play,
Game in and out.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Think Amirov will get any time in with the Marlies? Will he be here before the end of the regular season? Are Marlies even making the playoffs?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If I'm a Russian player that's doing well in the KHL. I wouldn't come to North America to play the AHL. Only NHL. There's the home factor, but I think the pay is better in the KHL?

I don't think the pay is better over there anymore. Didn't they recently just put in a salary cap that's pretty low in USD?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think the pay is better over there anymore. Didn't they recently just put in a salary cap that's pretty low in USD?

They have a salary cap, but he is still likely getting paid a bit more with them than with us.

I don't mind him sticking in the KHL as long as he is getting top 6/9 minutes consistently. I think the Leafs yank him if he is treated like he has been this year.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
This is pretty much the same when nylander was drafted, signed to elc immediately, then loaned and played in modo for half a season then promptly assigned to the marlies.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If I'm a Russian player that's doing well in the KHL. I wouldn't come to North America to play the AHL. Only NHL. There's the home factor, but I think the pay is better in the KHL?

Let's say you've completed 3 years of university. You get offered a full time gig at the end of your summer job making great starting money. But you know (I'm not saying this is 100% how things work but let's pretend it does) completing your 4th year at uni means you'll be better off in 10 years time, financially and career wise. Do you follow the money or plot out your career?

P.S. There seems to be something in the air between the US and Russia that might make it more difficult to come over later to NA.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Kokkenen apparently coming over on an ATO with the marlies

To do some serious development work and to evaluate whether he's worth a contract. I have to concur that I don't like his skating development. He's very slow off the mark and no defenseman gets away with that any longer in the NHL. There's something there otherwise, he seems to have a good feel for the position otherwise and has survived playing in a men's league since he was 17.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
To do some serious development work and to evaluate whether he's worth a contract. I have to concur that I don't like his skating development. He's very slow off the mark and no defenseman gets away with that any longer in the NHL. There's something there otherwise, he seems to have a good feel for the position otherwise and has survived playing in a men's league since he was 17.
He is just a no flash simple defensemen. I think he is a perfect fit for our organization TBH. If I am not mistaken he was near the top at the WJC for controlled defensive zone exits. Him and Topi were near the top if I remember corectly. He doesn't have any skill that overly wow's you, I just think he knows his limits and plays within it. Which is a skill in and of itself. If you look at Dermott for example, Way more skill than Mikko. However there are still times where he thinks he is Cale Makar and not Travis Dermott. Which creates chances in the wrong direction. I really like the defense first mindset that Mikko possesses. Not that he is as tough, or as big, but if he could model his game after Zach Bogosian's current game I'd be thrilled. Be strong positionally, have good gap control, and make strong outlet passes.

Reactions: horner and Jeypic

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Let's say you've completed 3 years of university. You get offered a full time gig at the end of your summer job making great starting money. But you know (I'm not saying this is 100% how things work but let's pretend it does) completing your 4th year at uni means you'll be better off in 10 years time, financially and career wise. Do you follow the money or plot out your career?

P.S. There seems to be something in the air between the US and Russia that might make it more difficult to come over later to NA.

There's also the home factor. An example would be if the NHL and KHL were flipped. Let's say the KHL is the best league in the world. Someone playing in the OHL gets drafted by an KHL team. Next year, he's in the NHL, making money and developing nicely. Would he leave North America to play in the VHL, knowing he can continue developing nicely in the NHL and don't have to face language, culture barriers and a difference in the style of play?

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
There's also the home factor. An example would be if the NHL and KHL were flipped. Let's say the KHL is the best league in the world. Someone playing in the OHL gets drafted by an KHL team. Next year, he's in the NHL, making money and developing nicely. Would he leave North America to play in the VHL, knowing he can continue developing nicely in the NHL and don't have to face language, culture barriers and a difference in the style of play?
Last part is still something they should have worked on. Foresight says you will have to eventually.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Malgin might have been concussed in his last game. Out for game 2 after getting rocked into the boards.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Villeneuve with a goal and assist so far today. After the slow start where he said he was focusing on his defensive play, his numbers have shot up.
First 10 games, 2 points
Since in 22 games, 18 points.
Guess the obvious question is: did he say ‘screw defence’?
Good to hear either way.
Ps, that was a quiet 18/22

Reactions: uncleben

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Villeneuve with a goal and assist so far today. After the slow start where he said he was focusing on his defensive play, his numbers have shot up.
First 10 games, 2 points
Since in 22 games, 18 points.
Nice! Anyone been able to watch any of his games? what's the book on this kid? If my memory serves correct he was a really high draft pick in the Q. Curious to see how he develops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad