Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI - Playoff Drive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If we were to put together a list of likely players to make the Leafs next year, what would it look like? Note, it's not the best players, its most likely. I'm not much of a Marlies watcher but I like to keep up with the highlights, stats and how they are playing by reading articles posted here and your posts about players. With that being said, what would you guys rank them as?

Mine;

Rosen
Bracco
Engvall/Timashov?
Sandin
Liljgren

I think Sandin could play, but Leafs would like to develop him as best as they can and want to avoid having to protect him in the expansion draft.

I'm not including Moore because he's already up and seems like he's staying.
Expect both Sandin and Lilly to be the top pairing on the marlies for all of next season.

Promoted: Rosen, Bracco, Engvall, Moore, Marchment
Traded: Timashov, Borgman

horner

May 22, 2007
Expect both Sandin and Lilly to be the top pairing on the marlies for all of next season.

Sandin and probably lilly will be with the leafs next yr.

We dont have enogh quality dnan ti replace.

Gardiner wont be signed
Zaitsev traded
Hall
Marincin

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Marchment is not ready. Engvall could use another year as well. Bracco is a long shot unless a trade occurs. There is just not that much room for everybody.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sandin and probably lilly will be with the leafs next yr.

We dont have enogh quality dnan ti replace.

Gardiner wont be signed
Zaitsev traded
Hall
Marincin

Rielly, Muzzin, Zaitsev, Dermott, Rosen, Ozhiganov. Maybe Liljegren starts on the Leafs, but there is no reason for Sandin (as a LD) to make that team. We have more than enough good LD as it is, and he needs more seasoning. Liljegren could arguably use some more as well, but I think he is also ready for 16 minutes on a bottom pairing in the NHL as well.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Rielly, Muzzin, Zaitsev, Dermott, Rosen, Ozhiganov. Maybe Liljegren starts on the Leafs, but there is no reason for Sandin (as a LD) to make that team. We have more than enough good LD as it is, and he needs more seasoning. Liljegren could arguably use some more as well, but I think he is also ready for 16 minutes on a bottom pairing in the NHL as well.

It depends on who's still here. Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott are 99% locks to be back next year.

3 spots open (4 including the 7D).

At least one of Gardiner/Zaitsev won't be back, probably both. Muzzin replaces Gardiner. Hainsey is gone in all likelihood and Rosen replaces him, so that's 4. Ozhiganov isn't a lock, but a coin flip to be back, but since he's a RHD, give him the QO. That's 5.

Let's say they trade one of Kapanen/Johnsson/Kadri for and/or in a package for a RHD, that's 6.

And let's wishcast Zaitsev gone, where he brings back a defender's contract, that's 7.

Liljegren or Sandin will compete in camp for the 7th/8th spot if necessary.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It depends on who's still here. Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott are 99% locks to be back next year.

3 spots open (4 including the 7D).

At least one of Gardiner/Zaitsev won't be back, probably both. Muzzin replaces Gardiner. Hainsey is gone in all likelihood and Rosen replaces him, so that's 4. Ozhiganov isn't a lock, but a coin flip to be back, but since he's a RHD, give him the QO. That's 5.

Let's say they trade one of Kapanen/Johnsson/Kadri for and/or in a package for a RHD, that's 6.

And let's wishcast Zaitsev gone, where he brings back a defender's contract, that's 7.

Liljegren or Sandin will compete in camp for the 7th/8th spot if necessary.

So they are not going to be in the lineup then. If you have Muzzin, Rielly, Dermott, Rosen on the left side (or possibly even one on the right), Sandin has next to no chance of making it. As good as Sandin has been, Rosen has still outplayed him by a long shot (as you would expect for a guy 6 years his senior). I have Liljegren in the NHL, but Sandin has a worse shot at making the squad than Liljegren did entering this year, and Liljegren did not have that great of a shot himself.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

That’s what I envision too for those two Swedes, but I can see Lili getting a good shot if something happens with Zaitsev
Aside from that, I’d see them percolating on a pretty high-upside Marlies d-corps.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
That’s what I envision too for those two Swedes, but I can see Lili getting a good shot if something happens with Zaitsev
Aside from that, I’d see them percolating on a pretty high-upside Marlies d-corps.
They would also become the first D's called up throughout the season. Similar to how Dermott & Kappy went back and forth during their last years.

Theres really no rush if Dubas brings in a top four RD.

Rielly RHD
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Oz
7/8:Lilly/Sandin playing on the marlies

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The idea held by so many people that Zaitsev will be traded is wishful thinking. Could it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Doubtful. There are no indications that they have been trying to trade him. And if they wanted to trade him, why hasn't it happened yet?

Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Zaitsev are all almost certainly on the team next year. The other two will probably be some combination of Hainey, Oz, Rosen, Borgman. Holl is signed for another year, but will likely be as a 7. It is possible that a trade occurs for another D, but the last several years Lou and Dubas have shown this is not easy. I think that Sandin will get 8 or 9 games next year. Liljegren 1, at most.

Reactions: teddygmr

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
T.J. Brennan, what an enigma of a player he is.

Not that much of an enigma really. He doesn't skate well enough, and doesn't have the defensive instincts to make up for it the same way Hainsey does. He'd probably be fine or even good in offensive situations and on the PP in the NHL, but he just isn't even close in his own end.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
They would also become the first D's called up throughout the season. Similar to how Dermott & Kappy went back and forth during their last years.

Theres really no rush if Dubas brings in a top four RD.

Rielly RHD
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Oz
7/8:Lilly/Sandin playing on the marlies
Agreed.
But not sure where Zaitsev went?
And, it’d be nice to see Lili get a prolonged stretch of hockey in before penciling him in.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Any word on when joey duszek is getting his first game with the marlies? Sorry if it’s been mentioned.

As someone who lives in north bay and watched Braz play a lot, I wouldn’t get too hyped up. Big man that has really outgrew the ohl. Nhl level shot though so you never know... and a free prospect is a free prospect. Obviously skating needs work as he relies a lot on his size and reach which would be not as effective against a faster ahl/nhl. Hope he signs somewhere for something as he has done this team well.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Not that much of an enigma really. He doesn't skate well enough, and doesn't have the defensive instincts to make up for it the same way Hainsey does. He'd probably be fine or even good in offensive situations and on the PP in the NHL, but he just isn't even close in his own end.
It's amazing to me he can put up the points he does while being bad at so many other aspects.

Reactions: teddygmr

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Does anyone know how some of our other Russian prospects are doing?

Bobylyov
Chebykin
Kara

Will Jesper Lindgren be a full time Marlie next year, or is Europe still the best place for him?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Hollowell won best Offensive Dman in the OHL west, and 2nd for best skater. McGregor 3rd for best defensive forward in the OHL west, and tied for first for best PKer.
What are the chances he wins WHL or CHL goalie of the year?

A quick look at the goalie numbers for the CHL, has him easily 2nd. Unfortunately number 1 is also from the WHL, so probably no chance for either.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yegor Korshkov and Lokomotiv lost 3-1 yesterday morning. They are now down 3-1 in their series.

Game 5 is tomorrow morning our time.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Any word on when joey duszek is getting his first game with the marlies? Sorry if it’s been mentioned.

As someone who lives in north bay and watched Braz play a lot, I wouldn’t get too hyped up. Big man that has really outgrew the ohl. Nhl level shot though so you never know... and a free prospect is a free prospect. Obviously skating needs work as he relies a lot on his size and reach which would be not as effective against a faster ahl/nhl. Hope he signs somewhere for something as he has done this team well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad