Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI - Playoff Drive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think one guy I absolutely cannot wait to see in the NHL is Mason Marchment. He is the exact type of player our team needs so badly. He's like a poor mans version of Tom Wilson but on our 4th line he can provide much needed grit and has a very good scoring touch to boot.

Leafs can potentially ice a very marlie heavy (former and current) lineup next year and look amazing.

Kapanen - Matthews - Bracco
Hyman - JT - Mitch
Johnsson - Kadri - Willie
Moore - Goat - Marchment
Petan

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Sandin - Liljegren
Rosen - Borgman

Fred
Sparky

Out:
Marleau
Brown
Gardiner
Ennis
Marincin
Holl
Hainsey

The following season or even as soon as next season, we can graduate the likes of Brooks, Engvall and Timashov, Borgman.

Marchment has not shown nearly enough to warrant an NHL opportunity. Marchment, at best, can become a slightly better offensively, but far less physical, version of Matt Martin right now. Now consider Matt Martin: his physical play is the only thing keeping him in the NHL right now. Adding a little bit of extra offensive skill is still not enough to really make him warrant keeping on a roster if he did not have that physical presence. Marchment is physical, but it is nowhere near what his father or even Martin brings to the table, and it is not enough to make up for the fact that he really does not have any special defensive, offensive or skating skills (if they are even NHL level in the first place).

The nice thing about Marchment is that he could be useful on the Marlies for at least next year, and there is no reason why he could not stick in the organization beyond that if he continues to prove to be a valuable AHL player and mentor for younger players. If nothing else, he can be a model of how far hard work can take you, even when the odds are against you. However if he wants any chance at an NHL career, or at least a sustainable one, he's going to need to really emphasize his physical play, become far more consistent offensively and hone those offensive flashes into a PPG performance next year (or at least close to it, which should not be unreasonable given the role he should be getting), and improve his defensive game so he can be used there. If he could PK, or at least be relied upon in defensive/shutdown situations on a 4th line, on top of a physical forechecking game that could him net 15-20 points a year and wear other teams out (or even scare them), then he could stick in the NHL. Think a bigger Alex Burrows, whose NHL career did not start until 25 (so essentially, next year for Marchment). However, Marchment is at least a few steps away (in all areas of his game) before reaching anywhere close to that level.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I am curious how the Leafs fit everyone in on RD next year.

Top 4 Addition
Zaitsev
---
Liljegren
Ozhiganov
Holl
---
Duszak
Hollowell
Lindgren
Rasanen

So while the Leafs lack another top 4 RD besides Zaitsev, they have 3 RD fighting for 2 NHL spots (at most), and if Liljegren loses, then there are 5 guys fighting for realistically 4 Marlies RD jobs.

I guess my prediction would be the Leafs trade Ozhiganov to grant him an opportunity to get a full time top 6 job elsewhere if Liljegren wins. If Liljegren loses (and there are no surprises, like Duszak winning a job early for example), then I guess they'll work out how to get 5 great prospects sufficient ice time in the AHL. I guess it is also possible we let Rasanen go back to Europe again, if we want him to get more ice time. We could always give him a shot on an ELC and then loan him like we did with Grundstrom.

On another positive note, Dzierkals rights are now listed as indefinite on CapFriendly, which is what they really should be since he is currently playing in the KHL. It'll be interesting to see if the Leafs decide to trade his rights to give him a chance of earning an ELC elsewhere, or if they'll keep him and see if he can build off a fairly successful rookie season with Riga in the KHL. The guy has NHL skills without a doubt. He just needs to stay healthy and continue developing the finer points of his game to become the better version of Soshnikov he can undoubtly become in the near future. If he has a good enough KHL season, he could be on the Leafs not too long after.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The way the Marlies have managed prospects recently has really reshaped my perspective on player development. General consensus seems to dictate that guys have to be close to PPG by the age of 21 or 22 at the latest if they want a shot to be impact NHLers, but players like Moore and Johnsson have bucked that trend. There’s still reason to believe guys like Timashov, Engvall, Brooks, etc could develop into valuable depth pieces. Shines a light on how well run our program is

It's near impossible to know whether it's the careful care and feeding of prospects or simply identifying better prospects with the right levels of ability, attitude, work ethic and character.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Duszak debuted last night. Limited minutes from what I saw but fired a few shots at the net.

Seems they are easing him in.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Duszak,Liljegren, Hollawell can't be considered Leafs next year at all. I know there is this impression that all non Leaf RHD are better than the current Leafs, but these guys aren't NHL ready.

The Leafs do have some hope with their young guys a few year done the road, but lets not get unrealistically optimistic for new year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Duszak,Liljegren, Hollawell can't be considered Leafs next year at all. I know there is this impression that all non Leaf RHD are better than the current Leafs, but these guys aren't NHL ready.

The Leafs do have some hope with their young guys a few year done the road, but lets not get unrealistically optimistic for new year.

Liljegren can easily be considered for the NHL next year. He's more than good enough. His production is somewhat disappointing, but that is nothing really to do with lack of skill. His defensive skills have improved enough as well.

Duszak may be able to challenge as well, but I'd fully expect he is in the AHL next year. Hollowell will not even be in consideration. It'll be a couple of years at least until anyone considers him an NHL threat.

Reactions: kb and nobody

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Lilly is better option at the NHL level already than guys like Holl and Marincin. I wouldn't want to rush him though. With that said, if he can get to the NHL and hold his own as a bottom pairing guy I would easily take him on the Leafs because that would make his second contract much cheaper. Same with Sandin. I don't want to rush either of those guys but in sheltered roles I would rather have them develop in the NHL and have cheaper second contracts rather than bust into the NHL at a top 4 spot and earn a bigger deal, especially when we will need to save every last dollar on the cap.

We didn't rush the likes of Kadri and Rielly but what helped us secure them to dirt cheap contracts was to ensure that they were in sheltered roles and allowed to develop at their own pace on the big club. They peaked at the right time for us just after they inked their second contracts.

As for Hallowell and Duszak not one single leaf fan or troll thinks they'll be NHL ready next year or for a few years if ever.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Duszak Named Hobey Baker Award Finalist

by Staff Writer MapleLeafs / MapleLeafs.com March 20th, 2019
Duszak Named Hobey Baker Award Finalist
cut.jpg

Following a 16-goal, 47-point season manning the blueline for the Mercyhurst Lakers (NCAA), Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Joseph Duszak was named a top ten finalist for the Hobey Baker Award earlier today.
The 21-year-old Duszak led all NCAA defencemen in points last season and earned 99 points in 101 games over his three-year collegiate career. He was named to the Atlantic Hockey Association's All-Conference Second Team in 2017-18.
First awarded in 1981, the Hobey Baker Memorial Award is presented to the top NCAA men's hockey player, who exhibits strength and character on and off the ice, outstanding skills in all phases of the game, scholastic achievement and sportsmanship and contributes to the integrity of his team.
Duszak is signed to a future entry-level contract with the Maple Leafs and is currently playing on an ATO with the Toronto Marlies (AHL), top affiliate of the Leafs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I believe he's had one one of the top p60s all year. just wasn't getting the minutes, especially on the PP.

he might be a player yet.

I think that there's a definite non-zero chance that he carries this through the rest of the season and playoffs and starts some management conversations on the merits of a 760k 3C, especially considering his intelligence and the skill available to play on those wings

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I remember awhile back someone commenting that a more realistic projection for Lily is a Trevor Daley type. Smooth skating, solid all around.

While he certainly has the offensive abilities to do more Id take that sort of steady play in the top 4

Paul Martin and Johnny Oduya are two other players that come to mind. Good NHL defensemen, not star players, who have been contributing parts of multiple successful NHL teams. But add the rarer handedness (RHD) of Liljegren and it would be a definite win as a draft pick.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Paul Martin and Johnny Oduya are two other players that come to mind. Good NHL defensemen, not star players, who have been contributing parts of multiple successful NHL teams. But add the rarer handedness (RHD) of Liljegren and it would be a definite win as a draft pick.

I look at him as a bigger version of Stralman, tbh.

Reactions: kb

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I remember awhile back someone commenting that a more realistic projection for Lily is a Trevor Daley type. Smooth skating, solid all around.

While he certainly has the offensive abilities to do more Id take that sort of steady play in the top 4

Craig Button was the first person I heard use that comparison - at the summer showcase immediately after the draft.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He has to be considered equal amongst Hughes, Boqvist and Dobson as peers in his draft class. One of the best D men in the draft. Maybe one notch behind Dahlin but not that far.
no, he's not really close to Dahlin. he's as impressive as anyone else, although I don't think he'll be as good as Hughes going forward

Reactions: biotk

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Personally I think Sandin could be a top four d man for the leafs right now. He’s far ahead of guys like Marincin, Holl, Ozhiganov etc. Of course that says as much about the leafs lack of depth as anything else.

I'd say no... as of right now, he's our 5th pairing LHD... unless someone ranked Rosen ahead of him, given age, and experience.

Rielly
Muzzin
Gardiner
Dermott

All ahead of Sandin..

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
The bold is correct. I said one notch BEHIND Dahlin. Not in front or equal.

That’s high praise. Dahlin has looked better and better as the season has gone on.
Do you have an idea what tier of young d man Sandin might be in a few years? Maybe a poor man’s Provorov? Tracking better or worse than Dermott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad