Molino Elynuik Pooley

Sandin LoVerde
Subban Liljegren
Rubins Duszak

Hutchinson

Duszak makes his debut.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No they will both be exempt from the expansion draft if they play 9 or fewer games this year but Sandin's ELC can slide another year next year and Liljegren's ELC kicks in whether he is in the AHL or NHL.

They can actually play 10 games and still be exempt from the expansion draft. It's a weird rule, but the 10th game starts the ELC, they need 11 to accrue a season towards being expansion eligible. See Maxime Comtois, he played 10 games before the Ducks sent him down. Started his ELC but will be expansion exempt assuming he doesn't play anotjher NHL game this season and the Seattle draft goes as planned in summer 2021

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Does anyone know how some of our other Russian prospects are doing?

Bobylyov
Chebykin
Kara

Will Jesper Lindgren be a full time Marlie next year, or is Europe still the best place for him?

Bobylov and Chebykin are falling way behind. Kara is doing fine but it'll be at least another year or two before we consider bringing him over.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Seems like this was missed, but not a huge surprise at all.

Bouthillier is heading to Newfoundland. However, it does say it is a standard ECHL contract, so I do not know if that means he'll stick there instead of going back to Saint John next year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bracco with another assist on the PP, 1-1 game

Apparently he has the highest ever assist numbers on the PP for any Marlie in history for a single season

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Good for him, glad he's sticking within the org. Long shot but goalies are voodoo.

I would prefer for him to go back to Saint John next year, since he'll get most of the games. I hope they play better, but at least he has that going for him.

I would bring him in on an AHL deal after his OA year is up. We will need a #5 and if he has shown enough, why not let him be the extra guy behind Woll and Scott?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
How did Duszak look? 4 SOG and even +- seems fine but how did he match up with the pros?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hollowell won best Offensive Dman in the OHL west, and 2nd for best skater. McGregor 3rd for best defensive forward in the OHL west, and tied for first for best PKer.

Came to post this. Gotta think that McGregor has earned an elc. If we don't give him one it's pretty clear Dubas disagreed with the pick and wrote him off regardless.

Also interesting to note that Hollowell absolutely smashed Wilde/Boqvist/Bouchard on the OD voting

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I saw McGregor again on Sunday in the final regular season game of the year. McGregor had one assist, though he did setup another goal that was waved off for (very) incidental contact. There is no doubt he is very good on the PK. I was enjoying his fairly frequent matchups with Dallas first rounder Ty Dellandrea. Unfortunately, Dellsndrea had to leave the game with what looked like a concussion. In what head to head time there was, McGregor certainly held his own.

I think he has a chance to develop into a bottom six centre and should therefore be signed, IMO

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The way the Marlies have managed prospects recently has really reshaped my perspective on player development. General consensus seems to dictate that guys have to be close to PPG by the age of 21 or 22 at the latest if they want a shot to be impact NHLers, but players like Moore and Johnsson have bucked that trend. There’s still reason to believe guys like Timashov, Engvall, Brooks, etc could develop into valuable depth pieces. Shines a light on how well run our program is

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think one guy I absolutely cannot wait to see in the NHL is Mason Marchment. He is the exact type of player our team needs so badly. He's like a poor mans version of Tom Wilson but on our 4th line he can provide much needed grit and has a very good scoring touch to boot.

Leafs can potentially ice a very marlie heavy (former and current) lineup next year and look amazing.

Kapanen - Matthews - Bracco
Hyman - JT - Mitch
Johnsson - Kadri - Willie
Moore - Goat - Marchment
Petan

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Sandin - Liljegren
Rosen - Borgman

Fred
Sparky

Out:
Marleau
Brown
Gardiner
Ennis
Marincin
Holl
Hainsey

The following season or even as soon as next season, we can graduate the likes of Brooks, Engvall and Timashov, Borgman.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The way the Marlies have managed prospects recently has really reshaped my perspective on player development. General consensus seems to dictate that guys have to be close to PPG by the age of 21 or 22 at the latest if they want a shot to be impact NHLers, but players like Moore and Johnsson have bucked that trend. There’s still reason to believe guys like Timashov, Engvall, Brooks, etc could develop into valuable depth pieces. Shines a light on how well run our program is

I think that is only because of the recent trend of guys starting their careers at younger and younger ages. That does not mean guys can not get things going.

Guys like Engvall, Brooks, Timashov and Carcone are going to be the next wave of potential candidates. Next year, Timashov and Carcone are going to require waivers, but they'll clear. They will become the star players on the Marlies and hopefully find the consistency they have been showing in the latter half of the season. It'll also be about developing their all around game, because their skill (especially Engvall) goes well beyond their ability to simply put up points. You are not going to get anything special out of these guys, but all of them could easily become long time 4th liners in the NHL (especially if there is an increasing trend of skill players on 4th lines) and someone like Timashov, Carcone or Engvall (if he can find more offensive consistency with an increased role) could easily end up in a top 9 as long as they are playing with other really talented players. For guys drafted in the 5th and 7th rounds (or not drafted at all), I think that is all you hope for.

People doubted me when I said the Marlies are better than most when it comes to depth who can end up in the NHL, and that these guys are not dime-a-dozen. Other teams have good AHLers, but only a few AHL teams are willing to put their guys in roles that will prepare them for an NHL future. The Marlies are one of those teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad