Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
The first one they reviewed was closer to a goal than that one. You could have maybe seen that one go in at the end, but it was too tough to call. This time they whistled it down 3 times before it even got close, and they called it no-goal on the ice, and it was clear on any sort of review it was not in.

All 5 of those factors were obviously ignored...

The weird thing was it was waved off at the net by the ref closest to the action, and then the referees and linesmen convened to talk, then the referee pointed at centre ice to signify a goal, then pointed upwards to signify it was going to be reviewed.

So they overturned his call on the ice after discussion, and then upheld that overturned call after video replay showed nothing conclusive?

The call by the net (no goal) should have been the official call, and they should have had to find irrefutable proof that it went IN the net in order to overturn the "no goal" call.

I cannot get over how horrific the officiating was in this series. Rule book went COMPLETELY out the window.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
1500x500

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marlies deserved to win.
Congrats!
I felt like tears were almost forming when I saw Keefe celebrating. He has been through a lot in his life. For all the people who said after the 1st playoffs that he isnt a good motivator, and a bad coach. I defended him during those times, and today has silenced some critics

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Not much talk but that Mason Marchment might be a decent bottom sixer. Size, physicality, solid shot.

Oh, I've had my eye on him since early in the season. He keeps on his Hyman like trajectory he will be a fixture pretty damn soon, maybe by the end on next year. Which is good because he's got attributes the team needs, kind of what they were hoping Matt Martin would provide.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The weird thing was it was waved off at the net by the ref closest to the action, and then the referees and linesmen convened to talk, then the referee pointed at centre ice to signify a goal, then pointed upwards to signify it was going to be reviewed.

So they overturned his call on the ice after discussion, and then upheld that overturned call after video replay showed nothing conclusive?

The call by the net (no goal) should have been the official call, and they should have had to find irrefutable proof that it went IN the net in order to overturn the "no goal" call.

I cannot get over how horrific the officiating was in this series. Rule book went COMPLETELY out the window.

Whatever. Better team won. Even if I was not a fan of the Marlies, I think I would be upset that another team full of AHL journeymen won over a team full of prospects with at least decent NHL upside. A lot of the teams that have won in the past have a few good guys who eventually make it but are mostly composed of guys who were in their mid-late 20's or early 30's and clearly had no future in the NHL.

Texas was no different. I think the Marlies may be the youngest team to win the Calder in a long time.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Johnsson was a hell of a line. All three could make the team.

Nylander - Matthews - Hyman
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Kapanen
Martin

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
With all due respect to everyone who's been watching Marlies games all year on tv, the commentating is pretty bad.

I watched 2/3 of the game last night. I don't think I learned a single Texas players' name. I don't even know who scored the goal for the Stars last night. Was there an assist on that goal? We'll never know.

One day there could be enough demand to catch the Marlies on tv (TSN). They certainly need to make some changes in the broadcast booth.

It was charming, but pretty unprofessional.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
With all due respect to everyone who's been watching Marlies games all year on tv, the commentating is pretty bad.

I watched 2/3 of the game last night. I don't think I learned a single Texas players' name. I don't even know who scored the goal for the Stars last night. Was there an assist on that goal? We'll never know.

One day there could be enough demand to catch the Marlies on tv (TSN). They certainly need to make some changes in the broadcast booth.

It was charming, but pretty unprofessional.
The commentators correctly attributed that goal to the referees on the ice.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Will Lou announce Keefe as the isles head coach today?

Would be nice to see him graduate to Leafs with his team mates. A connection and respect between coach and players that will move forward with them. Lou can poach somebody else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad