Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
And considering Johnsson put up like 48 points in his last 31 games that by all math out there translates to NHL level play of a 60 point player (not of a future peak, that's if they were playing in NHL instead of AHL during that spree), I'm pretty confident he hits at least 50 in his first NHL season and clears 60 points at least twice

Which is why I want the team to lock him up for 4 years at a decent cap hit and not have to suddenly give him top dollar after only offering a minimal show-me contract. He's already done his show-me.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just for my own curiosity I went back and re-watched that 'goal' at no point on any angle does the puck clearly go over the line. I watched the first shot, which is saved then falls down to pad, glove side, Sparks loses glove but pushes puck with hand out then all the stick side/whistle stuff starts.

The first one they reviewed was closer to a goal than that one. You could have maybe seen that one go in at the end, but it was too tough to call. This time they whistled it down 3 times before it even got close, and they called it no-goal on the ice, and it was clear on any sort of review it was not in.

All 5 of those factors were obviously ignored...

Reactions: Azazel

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Tf? Arvidsson's last 2 seasons have been above 60 points, not sub 60. And 60 points is definitively 1st line production, while league-wide range of players who play top line is from ~40-90 points, so 50 points with awesome two way play is a decent 1st liner to me. Hell, JVR is considered a decent 1st liner with 60 point play and 0 2 way game. I don't think we're downgrading from JVR -> Johnsson this season.

And considering Johnsson put up like 48 points in his last 31 games that by all math out there translates to NHL level play of a 60 point player (not of a future peak, that's if they were playing in NHL instead of AHL during that spree), I'm pretty confident he hits at least 50 in his first NHL season and clears 60 points at least twice
Its silly to me that 60 points is the benchmark for a first line forward. Just over 100 forwards put up over 50 points. Around 70 players hit 60 points. And like you said, if the guy does nothing else but put up points, is he still a first liner? I like JVR but despite the point production he does absolutely nothing else. Nothing. And I'm not saying this because he's leaving, I've said it since day one. A guy like Johnsson, who I've seen plenty of, may never win the Selke but he's always hustling, always making little plays, willing to take abuse etc. And he's got the wheels and shot on top of that. I don't know if he'll ever be a 60 point player but this kid has done nothing but improve since he was drafted. Every year he gets better. It's amazing that we got him in the 7th round. Engvall is the next guy to step up IMO. Another late round Swede who's developing nicely.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Which is why I want the team to lock him up for 4 years at a decent cap hit and not have to suddenly give him top dollar after only offering a minimal show-me contract. He's already done his show-me.

I have always been high on Johnsson and suggesting putting him on Matthews and Hyman line LAST offseason. I think his biggest risk is career ending injury. With his size and style of play, he could possibly be a victim of dirty plays.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Everything goes according to plan and he's an ideal 3rd liner who PKs and PPs. His playmaking is something that I've underrated, at the AHL level at least, and so he may be dynamic enough, both offensively and defensively, to succeed on a 2nd line. But I've been a fan since he was drafted so that may just be the optimism talking.

My impression, anyways.

If Johnsson is on our 4th line it is very GOOD news meaning we can roll out all 4 lines anytime.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If Johnsson is on our 4th line it is very GOOD news meaning we can roll out all 4 lines anytime.

Well, you could be looking at this next year with just the players on hand in our bottom 6:

Johnsson-Nylander-Grundstrom
Leivo- Aaltonnen/Lindholm-Brown

(with say. Kapanen up with Matthews for example or switched with Johnsson)

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
TWS trying his hardest to ruin this for everyone on the main boards.

What a peasant.

His reaction video was pretty good though.

giphy.gif

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well, you could be looking at this next year with just the players on hand in our bottom 6:

Johnsson-Nylander-Grundstrom
Leivo- Aaltonnen/Lindholm-Brown

(with say. Kapanen up with Matthews for example or switched with Johnsson)

I'd swap Leivo for Aaltonen as the 4th line LW

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Obviously a microcosm of what a Stanley Cup victory would mean, but a Calder Cup is fun too! Really well-deserved by the players, the coaches, and management. This is a team that was one of the most dominant teams in American Hockey League history, that lost several of its players to the Leafs only to have guys like Engvall and Grundstrom slot in seamlessly, and was only really troubled by Thatcher Demko in Round 1 and a stubborn, veteran Stars team this round, who -- despite being skated into the ground -- kept hanging around... with some help from the referees (lol at the "goal" tonight). Johnsson is obviously headed for the NHL next year (and probably a few others too) but a special shout-out to Mason Marchment and Trevor Moore. Neither are likely to make the opening roster next year, but both were really good down the stretch and into the playoffs. I think we see both in the NHL in 2019-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->