Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Teams rarely score when he's on the ice... and that's the key for this team. He's a fourth line C, and he's cheap, and will remain so... I think he's doing a pretty good job at it too... for his first full season in the league. I think he can slowly get better too... I mean, he'll only be a 4C, but some people just seem to dislike him, because he hasn't lived up to being a first round pick.

Goat barely plays 5-10 mins a night and when he does play, like the rest of the 4th line its usually not against an opponent's top lines so its no surprise that he gets scored on less when the opposition he plays against isn't usually the other team's best and he doesn't see much ice time in general.

Also he looked better tonight playing with Moore as his winger so maybe Goat has the capacity to play better if he has better linemates or maybe not. I wouldn't mind trying out the newly aquired Petan with Moore and Ennis and see how they would do together. That would be a very small line, but it would be interesting to see how they would do. Minus will experiment with Petan for a while and see if he can contribute before the playoffs otherwise why trade for him in the first place? At any rate I don't think Goat is horrible, I just think he's kinda like Lindholm in that he's not a huge difference maker and having him in or out of the lineup isn't a big deal. I'd much rather have Moore in regularly since he seems to be able to make things happen when he's on the ice more often.

ILoveDraftDay

Feb 14, 2009
Goat barely plays 5-10 mins a night and when he does play, like the rest of the 4th line its usually not against an opponent's top lines so its no surprise that he gets scored on less when the opposition he plays against isn't usually the other team's best and he doesn't see much ice time in general.

Also he looked better tonight playing with Moore as his winger so maybe Goat has the capacity to play better if he has better linemates or maybe not. I wouldn't mind trying out the newly aquired Petan with Moore and Ennis and see how they would do together. That would be a very small line, but it would be interesting to see how they would do. Minus will experiment with Petan for a while and see if he can contribute before the playoffs otherwise why trade for him in the first place? At any rate I don't think Goat is horrible, I just think he's kinda like Lindholm in that he's not a huge difference maker and having him in or out of the lineup isn't a big deal. I'd much rather have Moore in regularly since he seems to be able to make things happen when he's on the ice more often.

I....was that a typo or....?:laugh:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Isn't that funny. Our team gets criticized for not playing star players enough, then we turn around and criticize that a role player barely plays.

Noting, he gets scored on less, per sixty minutes of ice time, meaning at a lesser rate...

Reactions: DarkKnight

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
This is a prospect / Marlies thread, why are there so many people talking about Gauthier when we don't have anyone on the Marlies to replace him?

I'm actually very concerned with the Marlies right now. Mueller is injured and Toronto might have lost Moore to the big club (which was well deserved) and then Dubas just called up 4 ECHL players. Is there enough scoring to get into the playoffs and maybe win a round?

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
This is a prospect / Marlies thread, why are there so many people talking about Gauthier when we don't have anyone on the Marlies to replace him?

I'm actually very concerned with the Marlies right now. Mueller is injured and Toronto might have lost Moore to the big club (which was well deserved) and then Dubas just called up 4 ECHL players. Is there enough scoring to get into the playoffs and maybe win a round?

Very good question there. Maybe not after theMueller injury and the well deserved Moore call up. The keys may well be Carcone and Gagne. They have produced well for other teams at times. They need to step forward now for the Marlies. Bracco was almost entirely a setup guy last season but is shooting much more effectively this season. Perhaps he can continue that positive trend. I say that with hesitation since I don’t want to see his development path affected. He does have the most goal scoring upside on the present team, however, at least IMO! To a lesser degree, one could say the same about Timoshev.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think it will be tough to expect too much from the Marlies given that they’ve lost Grundstrom, Gagner and Moore to transactions and Mueller and Marchment to injury. IMO, that would be tough for any team to recover from.

While it would be nice to see them go deep again, the main concern is the progression of our prospects. If guys like Bracco, Engvall, Brooks, Timashov, Carcone, Sandin, Liljegren and Rosen all take steps forward, I’ll be happy whether or not they win. Obviously progressing would also potentially lead to more wins, but either way, in the AHL you can’t win em all each year with the crazy roster turnover. Let’s see prospect progress and go from there.

Reactions: hullsy47

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Playoffs, yes I think so. The team is more than good enough to at least do that, if not even be 2nd or 3rd in their division.

Beyond that, probably depends on Hutchinson/Kaskisuo. I think the Marlies are good enough to win a series against anyone in their conference, but they are not going to have any margin for error, and neither goalie has found solid footing this year. So we do have a good shot at the Calder if those two play well.

The only other thing I would have liked was maybe acquiring a better 2C for Subban and a goalie. Mueller should be back to be the 1C. Brooks is fine as a 3C. Greening or Jooris would be fine as a 4C. However, considering Subban should not have been in the AHL lineup come playoff time anyways, I would have used him as a trade chip. We can still make trades for AHL contracts until next Monday so maybe the Leafs still have a plan to fix the center depth, or they plan on bringing in some ATO's/PTO's to shore up some depth this time around (SDA, Stotts, McGregor, Aaltonen, Joshua, etc. should all be available, on top of guys like Lindgren and Dzierkals at other positions), but we have ample quality and depth everywhere except in the top 6 center spots.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
An 18 year old playing 29 minutes in the AHL: that sounds like a defenseman knocking on the NHL door to me. The main obstacle is a left side of Rielly, Dermott and Muzzin (and maybe Rosen) blocking him.

Reactions: LeafChief

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
An 18 year old playing 29 minutes in the AHL: that sounds like a defenseman knocking on the NHL door to me. The main obstacle is a left side of Rielly, Dermott and Muzzin (and maybe Rosen) blocking him.

Thats perfect though. If he isn't head and shoulders better than those guys at training camp, then there is nothing wrong letting him dominate another year with the Marlies. I think it also gives us an extra year of team control like William Nylander.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
An 18-year-old playing 29 minutes in the AHL: that sounds like a defenseman knocking on the NHL door to me. The main obstacle is a left side of Rielly, Dermott and Muzzin (and maybe Rosen) blocking him.

Rosen was injured during that game and left halfway through, I think, im not 100% and im just saying, the kid is playing well and could challenge for a spot in a year or two, needs to polish up the d'zone game.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the team next year.

Dermott can slide right.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Could the Leafs sign Miro Aaltonen once his KHL season is over? His team are huge underdogs playing CSKA Moscow in a 1st round playoff series right now (down 1-0). Would he be subject to waivers?

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Could the Leafs sign Miro Aaltonen once his KHL season is over? His team are huge underdogs playing CSKA Moscow in a 1st round playoff series right now (down 1-0). Would he be subject to waivers?

excessive trading of 2nd rd picks and allowing ufa's to leave without compensation has caught up with the Marlies. first round picks should never be traded. We have no chance to acquire a player such as Sandin without a 1st rd pick.

Reactions: baton elevated

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
excessive trading of 2nd rd picks and allowing ufa's to leave without compensation has caught up with the Marlies. first round picks should never be traded. We have no chance to acquire a player such as Sandin without a 1st rd pick.
Shucks.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
it's a tough call, I just hope they extend Muzzin and he doesn't walk next summer, that would suck

Reactions: Smif

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Correct. No good defenceman have been drafted in the 2nd round or later or have been acquired in trades. The only way ever has been through 1st round picks. Don't @ me, it's true.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the team next year.

Dermott can slide right.

If it could be done this would be a huge find for the team. I don't know if successful left shot D men are normally conversions or come out of Junior that way. I would be cautious about the move, only because it might appear to work, but be giving us less of a player than we would have on the strong side. Better than Hainsey doesn't make it the best move although if he doesn't lose his offense then that would be an indicator.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If it could be done this would be a huge find for the team. I don't know if successful left shot D men are normally conversions or come out of Junior that way. I would be cautious about the move, only because it might appear to work, but be giving us less of a player than we would have on the strong side. Better than Hainsey doesn't make it the best move although if he doesn't lose his offense then that would be an indicator.
It's not ideal, that's fore sure.

I believe Dermott has played some games on the right side this season though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad