Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Old impressions die hard: Gauthier isn't playing soft at all any longer. He uses his body a few times every shift. There are no bone-jarring hits but there aren't courtesy bumps either. It's his other skills with the puck that make him a limited player.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Old impressions die hard: Gauthier isn't playing soft at all any longer. He uses his body a few times every shift. There are no bone-jarring hits but there aren't courtesy bumps either. It's his other skills with the puck that make him a limited player.

Gauthier may not be soft, but he's very far from a difference maker and he doesn't really do anything except eat up 5-10 mins a game and that's about it. Would much rather have Moore take his spot and contribute something when he's on the ice.

Reactions: Myopic

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The level of physicality we need from him is more along the lines of a Lowry or at least Boyle. No one cares if he's on the ice, he's not ever a threat.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Gauthier may not be soft, but he's very far from a difference maker and he doesn't really do anything except eat up 5-10 mins a game and that's about it. Would much rather have Moore take his spot and contribute something when he's on the ice.
From your 4th line C you just ask for a good faceoff guy and good in his own end. It's the wingers where you look for more than just a warm body. They need to bring energy or speed or be a physical force or play on the PK. Ennis brings some speed and skill while Lindholm and Brown bring the same thing by PK'ing. It's one of those guys that needs to be replaced. Ennis is the placeholder for Moore.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
From your 4th line C you just ask for a good faceoff guy and good in his own end. It's the wingers where you look for more than just a warm body. They need to bring energy or speed or be a physical force or play on the PK. Ennis brings some speed and skill while Lindholm and Brown bring the same thing by PK'ing. It's one of those guys that needs to be replaced. Ennis is the placeholder for Moore.

Goat is a wasted spot on the roster right now. Nothing he does is significant enough to be worth it to keep him. Trade him for whatever pick you can get for him and end this experiment with him. That's why I want him and Brown moved, then you can bring Moore up and my preference would be to try him out with Kadri and Nylander and see if he can have a Kapanen type of breakout where given better linemates and more minutes if he couldn't produce more.

But I doubt Marleau will be placed on the 4th line so I'd settle for Moore to simply be on the Leafs playing with Ennis and Lindholm which sounds much better than Goat there.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Responsibly eating up 5-10 minutes is what you want from your fourth line center, and Moore doesn't play center.

Reactions: kb

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I saw a Kevin Papetti tweet a week or so ago about Engvall pulling off a nice play end-to-end goal while playing center, does anyone know if he actually is able to play center? would be nice to have that safety net

Edit: nvm, scrolled back a few pages and found what I was looking for

Last edited:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting how Borgman has sort of fallen out of favour among fans, but I feel like Dubas always mentions him among future young D anytime he starts to spout off names. He's had injury troubles which have taken a shine off him. It'll be interesting to see if he is moved over the summer. He's going to be 24 and waiver eligible.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Interesting how Borgman has sort of fallen out of favour among fans, but I feel like Dubas always mentions him among future young D anytime he starts to spout off names. He's had injury troubles which have taken a shine off him. It'll be interesting to see if he is moved over the summer. He's going to be 24 and waiver eligible.

Despite what you read around here, he is #2 behind Rosen on the Marlies when healthy before Marincin was sent down.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Right now he is among the least valuable players in the NHL. He provides mediocre fourth line results at ES with no special teams usage.
Would rather use the spot for young prospects to get their feet wet in the big leagues.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Goat is a wasted spot on the roster right now. Nothing he does is significant enough to be worth it to keep him. Trade him for whatever pick you can get for him and end this experiment with him. That's why I want him and Brown moved, then you can bring Moore up and my preference would be to try him out with Kadri and Nylander and see if he can have a Kapanen type of breakout where given better linemates and more minutes if he couldn't produce more.

Goat starts nearly 72% of his shifts in the Dzone, and yet has the second lowest GA/60 on the team... think about that for a minute.

He's our second best faceoff man, and is top 50 in the league at 53.6%.

His goal and assist tonight were great... beauty of a pass from him there, love to see more of it.

Teams rarely score when he's on the ice... and that's the key for this team. He's a fourth line C, and he's cheap, and will remain so... I think he's doing a pretty good job at it too... for his first full season in the league. I think he can slowly get better too... I mean, he'll only be a 4C, but some people just seem to dislike him, because he hasn't lived up to being a first round pick.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Goat starts nearly 72% of his shifts in the Dzone, and yet has the second lowest GA/60 on the team... think about that for a minute.

He's our second best faceoff man, and is top 50 in the league at 53.6%.

His goal and assist tonight were great... beauty of a pass from him there, love to see more of it.

Teams rarely score when he's on the ice... and that's the key for this team. He's a fourth line C, and he's cheap, and will remain so... I think he's doing a pretty good job at it too... for his first full season in the league. I think he can slowly get better too... I mean, he'll only be a 4C, but some people just seem to dislike him, because he hasn't lived up to being a first round pick.

I bet if he was a second round pick, or something like that, people would love him.

He has shown to have offensive skill. Even consistent offensive skill. He's a smart two-way player, but just needs more familiarity and confidence in the NHL. He's never going to light up a score sheet, but 12 points in 53 games with 8-10 purely defensive minutes a night is nothing to sneeze at as a 23 year old. I even saw him taking some of Lindholm's PK minutes away, and he did not look too bad at that either. If he can develop into a top unit PKer, or even just a good second unit PKer, once Brown has to move on, then he's going to be worth that 1st round pick to us.

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad