Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Interesting that p.ron.man, in terms of goalie prospects, has woll at 7, but ian scott at 21. He even has woll ahead of oettinger who was a 1st rounder, He did not provide an explanation.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting that p.ron.man, in terms of goalie prospects, has woll at 7, but ian scott at 21. He even has woll ahead of oettinger who was a 1st rounder, He did not provide an explanation.

Woll has been more consistent in terms of being really good for a longer period of time. He was talked about as being a goaltender for Team USA at the last Olympics when the NHL players weren't going.

Wolls numbers have consistently gotten better even with his team being worse. I haven't watched him extensively but I'd also rate him higher than Scott and plenty of other goaltenders.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
George Burnett talks about Gordeev, Durzi, and making the Guelph Storm a contender
First we discussed his history with Fedor Gordeev, and why he was brought to the Storm organization.

I drafted him in Hamilton, then I brought him to Flint when I was GM there, so I know him very well. A guy with his size, his reach, he understands the game at both ends. I think only because of circumstances in Flint, with their massive amounts of injuries they had to deal with, he was playing a ton of minutes in the first part of the year, so some of his numbers may be misleading. He’s a gifted offensive guy, he can be very hard to play against. He hits, plays the physical game. It’s not so much a hitting game anymore, it’s a take out, angle it, and shut down game, but he’s big and strong. He’s a good kid.

Bottom line is he’s playing for an NHL contract, he’s motivated, and we’re excited to have him. He can play both sides, he fits in well with our group, and we’re excited to have him.

As a person, Gordeev has the drive that Burnett wants to see on the Storm.

I think I know [Gordeev] well enough to know that he’s pretty determined. He wants to be a hockey player. He and his family have been here for a considerable length of time now, with that in mind. He’s following his dream, and is excited about the new opportunity. As a young man, he puts in the hard work and he’s ready to do that and be a good team mate, and he wants to be challenged and take his game to a new level.
Adding in Sean Durzi, what can we expect to see of him on this well-built Guelph team?

He’s one of the most skilled defensemen in the league. He can take your power play to another level, he’s got great vision, the ability to get pucks through traffic to the net, he can lug it out [of the defensive zone]. He makes smart choices under pressure, he’s played all of his career in Owen Sound in the small confines of that rink, now he’s got more room here. He’s a very dynamic player and a very mature young man. He’s got a bright future ahead for him, and there’s no question he will make us better. He’s very determined, and when we talked yesterday the big thing he talked about was team. What we’ll do as a team, and what’s necessary. He may not have a letter on his shoulder, but we’ll see a ton of leadership out of him. He’ll support guys who have been going through this for the first time in our program.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
It’s strange seeing someone from our organization actually finish a nice hit
bring him up him and grundstrom both bring exactly what babs wants. brown is an offensive blackhole lately couldnt hurt to have a guy who actually finishes a check.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really hope the Leafs give an ELC to Gordeev. I think the tools there are way too good to let go and not give a chance to. The Leafs have plenty of contract space to fit him in. At the worst, he's a depth AHL defenseman that splits his time with the Growlers for a few years but at least you're developing a mammoth sized player with good skating and good tools.

Sandin (maybe?), Liljegren (maybe?), Durzi, Hollowel, Lindgren and Gordeev on the Marlies next season will be very fun to watch.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I really hope the Leafs give an ELC to Gordeev. I think the tools there are way too good to let go and not give a chance to. The Leafs have plenty of contract space to fit him in. At the worst, he's a depth AHL defenseman that splits his time with the Growlers for a few years but at least you're developing a mammoth sized player with good skating and good tools.

Sandin (maybe?), Liljegren (maybe?), Durzi, Hollowel, Lindgren and Gordeev on the Marlies next season will be very fun to watch.

Just strictly my own opinion but I don't think there is anything there in Gordeev. I came away very unimpressed by him, I thought he'd be way better with the puck and definitely more assertive as well. I also think all the praise about his skating is overblown. Again, this is my own opinion and I could be way off.

The Marlies are gonna have a young blueline going forward and that's pretty exciting!

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Just strictly my own opinion but I don't think there is anything there in Gordeev. I came away very unimpressed by him, I thought he'd be way better with the puck and definitely more assertive as well. I also think all the praise about his skating is overblown. Again, this is my own opinion and I could be way off.

The Marlies are gonna have a young blueline going forward and that's pretty exciting!
Consider that Kral can also turn pro too, I like him and all the RD more than Gordeev

Reactions: Morgs

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Most of the talk you read in this thread is not first hand, its opinions based on other peoples tweets or blogs.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I've seen him a few times and wasn't exactly blown away but I thought his skating was pretty good and seemed pretty capable with the puck. I question his pro upside but I think there are tools there that he can develop.

Reactions: stickty111

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I've seen him a few times and wasn't exactly blown away but I thought his skating was pretty good and seemed pretty capable with the puck. I question his pro upside but I think there are tools there that he can develop.

Ya, I was excited to see him, especially on a loaded Guelph squad but I thought he was really struggling at both retrieving and transitioning the puck or generally making plays. Could have been on off night or him adjusting to a new team but it wasn't pretty.

Reactions: SprDaVE

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Keefe confirmed Liljegren had a setback in the Growlers game he was cleared to play in, which IMO doesn’t speak well for the medical staff.

The good news is that both Sandin and Liljegren skated in non contact jerseys at practice yesterday. This would be about one week after the setback for Liljegren, so a good sign for sure.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm pretty sure its the Leafs medical staff that cleared him, and he could have tweaked something else in that echl game

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Keefe confirmed Liljegren had a setback in the Growlers game he was cleared to play in, which IMO doesn’t speak well for the medical staff.

The good news is that both Sandin and Liljegren skated in non contact jerseys at practice yesterday. This would be about one week after the setback for Liljegren, so a good sign for sure.

I'm not sure it says anything negative about the medical staff. Between the medical staff and Liljegren you get some skates in and decide to give it a shot in a game, there is no way to 100% tell until you've played in a full blown, full paced game. High ankle sprains are an absolutely awful injury, in a lot of cases it's better to break your ankle.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Carcone was not even injured... He was just pissed off and likely got a team suspension (or an AHL one), and will be back after the break. Well good for him, he does play well when he is in the lineup so...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Carcone was not even injured... He was just pissed off and likely got a team suspension (or an AHL one), and will be back after the break. Well good for him, he does play well when he is in the lineup so...

It was reported that he had a concussion.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Engvall Mueller Bracco
Grundstrom Jooris Gagner
Marchment Brooks Clune
Timashov Greening Gagne

Rosen LoVerde
Borgman Corrado
LeBlanc Jardine

Hutchinson

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status