Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't see them as similar at all. Nielsen was a bad prospect who for some reason had strong reputation, while Bracco is a good to great prospect who for some reason has a mediocre reputation.

People often site junior hockey production as a predictor for future NHL success.

Nielsen played at nearly a P/GP as a defensman... Bracco was barely a P/GP winger on the Windsor Spitfires...

As far as Junior production, Nielsen had a better projection.

Problem with Nielsen has always been his skating... similarily, Bracco is a rather average-below average skater for a 5'10" winger.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The narrative of Bracco not producing with Windsor needs to end.
He was learning to be a 2 way player which affected his production.
There is no match between Bracco and Neilsen.

Reactions: Menzinger

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
People often site junior hockey production as a predictor for future NHL success.

Nielsen played at nearly a P/GP as a defensman... Bracco was barely a P/GP winger on the Windsor Spitfires...

As far as Junior production, Nielsen had a better projection.

Problem with Nielsen has always been his skating... similarily, Bracco is a rather average-below average skater for a 5'10" winger.

Junior production is one of those classic "necessary, but insufficient" predictor of success. In other words, not all junior scorers are NHL players. But almost all NHL players were junior scorers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am pretty sure Joshua's ELC would be 1 year, which is perfect if he doesn't translate that well to the pro level. It will depend if he'd rather walk and test free agency.

Not exactly earning his ELC in terms of production but I like what I read from his game.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I am pretty sure Joshua's ELC would be 1 year, which is perfect if he doesn't translate that well to the pro level. It will depend if he'd rather walk and test free agency.

Not exactly earning his ELC in terms of production but I like what I read from his game.

Remember that one time he went PPG+ to give us all false hope?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It seems obvious as the gap between the 2 prospect is huge.
Bracco has had a hard time finding supporters on these boards. Not sure why. All I see is potential and heart in him.

I think he was a draft day swing for the fences early in the rebuild, basically what Chicago did with Alex DeBrincat. But really seems like a long shot now given we actually have bluechippers to fill the top 6 and will only get better prospects in the 1st round as the years go on. I could see him being a cheap fill in at some point if a guy on the wing gets dealt, but also could be one of those guys who wilts on the vine like a Leivo too.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think he was a draft day swing for the fences early in the rebuild, basically what Chicago did with Alex DeBrincat. But really seems like a long shot now given we actually have bluechippers to fill the top 6 and will only get better prospects in the 1st round as the years go on. I could see him being a cheap fill in at some point if a guy on the wing gets dealt, but also could be one of those guys who wilts on the vine like a Leivo too.

I don't know man, I see him as a potential 3rd line/2nd line tweener. Like hypothetically down the road, Kadri likely won't be resigned/likely traded. Let's say Adam Brooks or someone similar replaces him. I can see Bracco being on that line to drive play more for offence. A very useful piece overall.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His skating and vision will get him a regular gig imo. If he rounds his game out he could be a good piece on a good team.
On our team, why wouldn't we use him while we can afford him and he becomes a good NHL player?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Remember that one time he went PPG+ to give us all false hope?

I feel like NCAA production is so damn complicated to predict. Hyman has been a better point producer in the NHL/AHL then he was in all but 1 of his NCAA seasons (which he played with Larkin).

Gardiner had a rollercoaster NCAA career in terms of points and then jumped into the NHL as a 30 pt rookie.

Heck, Trevor Moore is the best point producing NCAA player that I think we have, and he was undrafted. He's 23 and just coming into his NHL career.

Makes you wonder how guys like Mathias Petterson (6th rounder 2018, F), K'Andre Miller (1st rounder 2018, D) and Jack Drury (2nd rounder 2018, F) turn out. All are about PPG to start the season.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His skating and vision will get him a regular gig imo. If he rounds his game out he could be a good piece on a good team.
On our team, why wouldn't we use him while we can afford him and he becomes a good NHL player?

I don't know man, I see him as a potential 3rd line/2nd line tweener. Like hypothetically down the road, Kadri likely won't be resigned/likely traded. Let's say Adam Brooks or someone similar replaces him. I can see Bracco being on that line to drive play more for offence. A very useful piece overall.

As time goes on we will need cheap AHL call ups to replace some of our forwards as they get more expensive, so I agree that Bracco can come in and take a role like Trevor Moore and fit in to whatever extent that he does. However, the way the team is built on this soft, small skill, I see those rolls filled already, and we will more likely require guys like Korshkov to develop than the group of Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, etc.

When I look at the playoff series against Boston, we need more versatile guys like DeBrusk and Heinen who can give you a bit of everything.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
In theory, the next forward group that should be knocking on the NHL door are Bracco, Moore, Brooks, Marchment, Engvall, Timashov and to a lesser extent Grundstrom. Moore is seeing his first cup of coffee and I think he's done very well to prove he can be a depth player for the NHL club. Bracco is almost a PPG in the AHL so that's exactly the type of development you hope from any prospect. It puts him into the conversation. Brooks, Marchment, Engvall, Timashov are all in the 'show me' stage of their development. Timashov and Marchment are is in their 3rd AHL season. Engvall and Brooks will both be 23 by seasons end. All under contract for one more year.

Next crop of prospects coming into the fold on forward may be: Dakota Joshua, Ryan McGregor? Not much in terms of reinforcements there. Lots of guys overseas with no indication that they'll be crossing over yet.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In theory, the next forward group that should be knocking on the NHL door are Bracco, Moore, Brooks, Marchment, Engvall, Timashov and to a lesser extent Grundstrom. Moore is seeing his first cup of coffee and I think he's done very well to prove he can be a depth player for the NHL club. Bracco is almost a PPG in the AHL so that's exactly the type of development you hope from any prospect. It puts him into the conversation. Brooks, Marchment, Engvall, Timashov are all in the 'show me' stage of their development. Timashov and Marchment are is in their 3rd AHL season. Engvall and Brooks will both be 23 by seasons end. All under contract for one more year.

Next crop of prospects coming into the fold on forward may be: Dakota Joshua, Ryan McGregor? Not much in terms of reinforcements there. Lots of guys overseas with no indication that they'll be crossing over yet.

I'm thinking they'll probably grab a shiny forward in the first couple of rounds this upcoming draft to replenish the system. Otherwise they'll hit a forward drought over the next few years when they have to cut depth on the Leafs with no reinforcements. That could lead to some issues.

One thing I'm scratching my head a bit at is why they chose so many overagers such as Brooks over the past few years when it just means they're older and relatively under developed as pro prospects.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Just a few thoughts on the Leafs prospects.

Bracco has legit middle 6 upside, I always thought he would be a beauty cheap player next to Matthews. Could be like Kapanen in a year or two time.
Grundstrom has decent top 9 upside, plays that physical game that the Leafs lack.

Korshkov has been hard to read, his coach in the KHL hates him he has suffered a few large injuries, but he is still a very good player that the Leafs could use as soon as next season.

Ryan McGregor is one guy in the OHL that may not impress you lots if you look at the numbers, but he is very similar to Hyman. Team-mates love him, hard worker, out hustles, he also seems to have that uncanny ability to go into a corner vs two defenceman and walk out with the puck. (puck retrivial skill-set like Hyman)

Sandin could be in the NHL sooner rather than later just because of his smart style of play. Whereas, Liljegren has that high potential to be a dynamic offensive force at the NHL level.

Woll and Scott both look very promising, but as all goalie prospects I need to see them at the AHL level before you can say they are really anything. I think Woll is slightly better, but that is just personal opinion.

Sean Durzi leads all OHL defenceman in goals above replacement at the moment, and is a dynamic player.

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Thatcher Demko is about to be called after 2 full AHL seasons, maybe Woll follows the same path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad