Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I thought I read Korshkov is very physical, not in crushing hits but in board battles and net front battles etc. in fact I swear someone said he is like a taller hyman

I haven't seen that mentioned in relation to him, useful if it's true

Welcome to the dark side brother haha.
Marchment and Korshkov is the gritty one of those you mentioned, sadly that's usually why Korshkov gets injured, but Engvall uses his size well to shield the puck.
I would like to see both Korshkov and Grundstrom put on a little bit of muscle though. Hymans size allows him to take/give so much contact. If those 2 mentioned can break the 200lbs mark I would be happy.

Edit
I will throw Joshua in there too. I really like his game. Might top out as a 3rd line C but still has the size and game we need

Just need one or two of them to work out, or come over

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I haven't seen that mentioned in relation to him, useful if it's true

Just need one or two of them to work out, or come over
Grundstrom has the best chance atm to make the team followed closely by engvall.
I love marchment but he still has a small hill to climb.
Korshkov is unknown until he hits the small ice.
Joshua is my dark horse. Tucked away in the NCAA nobody sees his game. Ohio relies on him a lot.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'm thinking they'll probably grab a shiny forward in the first couple of rounds this upcoming draft to replenish the system. Otherwise they'll hit a forward drought over the next few years when they have to cut depth on the Leafs with no reinforcements. That could lead to some issues.

One thing I'm scratching my head a bit at is why they chose so many overagers such as Brooks over the past few years when it just means they're older and relatively under developed as pro prospects.

They may have chosen overagers to see if they 'hit' earlier on these guys. Maybe they expected these guys to hit quickly at the pro level? Like I mentioned, many of these guys should be knocking on the door for depth roles. The good news for them, is this team isn't looking at them for top-six replacement roles (IMO). They need them to take jobs from the Par Lindholms/Tyler Ennis's and maybe even Connor Browns (cap purposes - perhaps Moore replacement on 4th line)/Fredrick Gauthier's (may stick due to size and age) of the team, given that Johnson, Kapanen sign multi-year deals and the rest of the forward core stays together. If they find it hard to find reasonable contracts for Johnson and/or Kapanen then that changes things.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Gauthier - *** - ***

At least among the forward group. I don't see them shaking any other players off that team. Again, as I outlined in the post previous - they all still have one more year on their contracts with waiver exemption and with no real internal prospect pressure coming in as rookies (not from the forwards at least) I imagine the Marlies forward group could look a lot similar next year save for one or two graduations. Hard to predict what happens after that with a potential lockout in 2020.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I am pretty sure Joshua's ELC would be 1 year, which is perfect if he doesn't translate that well to the pro level. It will depend if he'd rather walk and test free agency.

Not exactly earning his ELC in terms of production but I like what I read from his game.

If 1 year, then why not? I just don't think he skates well enough to be a good pro. He definitely won't be able to play center at the pro level. When a guy like Joshua is a bit lumbering, he might still make it due to great hands and/or physical style of play. He's only okay in both departments.

Regarding O'Connell, it's a little early to write him off. At least he has played in every game during his freshman season.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I thought I read Korshkov is very physical, not in crushing hits but in board battles and net front battles etc. in fact I swear someone said he is like a taller hyman

I have seen a handful of his games, he can be aggressive, I would say he is more Levio type skill set

Reactions: Walshy7

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
High motor, very good defensively, but doesn't have the weight/strength on his feet (yet) to play the Hyman game below the dots.

More smart and industrious than skilled and physical, I understand. Sounds like he might be something more with some better training. A prospect on the level of Sam Carrick? Sounds underwhelming? Carrick's on his 7th year of NHL contracts.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I have seen a handful of his games, he can be aggressive, I would say he is more Levio type skill set
agree with that from what I've seen, tenacious enough but a good stick and good at using his body to defend position with enough vision to make things happen some times. I like the Leivo comparison better than Hyman

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
More smart and industrious than skilled and physical, I understand. Sounds like he might be something more with some better training. A prospect on the level of Sam Carrick? Sounds underwhelming? Carrick's on his 7th year of NHL contracts.

IMO more upside then Carrick, but no where near scrappiness, has less career OHL PIMS than Carrick had in his lowest single season.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I liked that Nikolai Chebykin kid as a 7th rounder, haven't heard anything about him for a while.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I liked that Nikolai Chebykin kid as a 7th rounder, haven't heard anything about him for a while.

Having "meh" year after a promising playoffs in the Russian equivalent of the AHL (minus the veteran roster rule).

My newest favourite Leafs' prospects link from Eliteprospects:

Toronto Maple Leafs at eliteprospects.com

I visit it several times a week. It has a summary (and links) of every current signed and unsigned Leafs' prospect. It's a real time saver.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Grundstrom has the best chance atm to make the team followed closely by engvall.
I love marchment but he still has a small hill to climb.
Korshkov is unknown until he hits the small ice.
Joshua is my dark horse. Tucked away in the NCAA nobody sees his game. Ohio relies on him a lot.

Yeah Grundstrom has the numbers and passes the eye test (I watched the entire Calder playoffs and 6-7 games so far this season) so I think he's definitely the most likely to become a top 9 forward at this point

I like Engvall's ability to protect the puck but I'm just not sure what he is, he was great on that checking line with Gauthier so is he better suited to 4th line duties with him? Has he got the offense for the top 9?

Marchment is a gritty SOB, I still wonder about the skating but I'll never rule that kid out, I'm shocked he's gotten this far honestly

I've hardly seen Korshkov, sounds interesting but you don't know what he is until he hits N/A ice

I haven't seen much of Joshua either, sounds interesting but his offensive numbers as a 4 year college player don't leap off the page at you, maybe a checking line type?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Having "meh" year after a promising playoffs in the Russian equivalent of the AHL (minus the veteran roster rule).

My newest favorite Leafs' prospects link from Eliteprospects:

Toronto Maple Leafs at eliteprospects.com

I visit it several times a week. It has a summary (and links) of every current signed and unsigned Leafs' prospect. It's a real time saver.

Eliteprospects has been my fav goto for years now, they just added that section this season.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I watched a fair bit of Korshkov.

He is a large big body winger, but I wouldn't describe him as physical.
He plays a more skilled passing game, using his large body to gain positional advantages.

That being said, if he hits you it is hard and comes fast.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah Grundstrom has the numbers and passes the eye test (I watched the entire Calder playoffs and 6-7 games so far this season) so I think he's definitely the most likely to become a top 9 forward at this point

I like Engvall's ability to protect the puck but I'm just not sure what he is, he was great on that checking line with Gauthier so is he better suited to 4th line duties with him? Has he got the offense for the top 9?

Marchment is a gritty SOB, I still wonder about the skating but I'll never rule that kid out, I'm shocked he's gotten this far honestly

I've hardly seen Korshkov, sounds interesting but you don't know what he is until he hits N/A ice

I haven't seen much of Joshua either, sounds interesting but his offensive numbers as a 4 year college player don't leap off the page at you, maybe a checking line type?
Engvall is a tough read for sure. He has the skating for the NHL but will he be able to find the offense? I'm thinking a 4th line guy that can chip in when it's there.
Joshua; I haven't seen any games this year. Last year I managed to see 3 games and listened to a few more. He was driving plays for what I've seen, also I've always liked his brief appearances in camp.

Reactions: Kiwi

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Skill we've got, grit and size we don't

With Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Kapanen and Johnsson in the top 9 some of the size + grit guys working out would be a godsend, finding spots for skill guys without a gritty hardworking element that makes them useful as a 3rd wheel on a skill line (like Moore) it's hard to find a spot to play them

Like to see Moore at center were his speed would be better fit for his over all game.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Engvall is a tough read for sure. He has the skating for the NHL but will he be able to find the offense? I'm thinking a 4th line guy that can chip in when it's there.
Joshua; I haven't seen any games this year. Last year I managed to see 3 games and listened to a few more. He was driving plays for what I've seen, also I've always liked his brief appearances in camp.

Engvall has a big body, I think he'd be useful if were using our 4th line as a pure matchup line with him and Gauthier on it, I don't see him fitting any other way though

I haven't seen enough of Joshua to know either way, he does sound interesting though with some size and playing center, can't have to much of that in the prospect pool

Like to see Moore at center were his speed would be better fit for his over all game.

Has he ever played there? Kids a great forechecker but I'm not sure that's something a center really does

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Engvall has a big body, I think he'd be useful if were using our 4th line as a pure matchup line with him and Gauthier on it, I don't see him fitting any other way though

I can see Engvall in the top 9, he has decent hands and speed to go with his size

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I dont know what is more terrible
"Lilly is 4-5 years away from being a top 4 NHL d man"
"Marner drops 7-8 spots in a redraft"
"Carlo is ahead of Marner"

Get ready for, lying about me, @LeafChief, @CantLoseWithMatthews, saying things we didnt even say.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I just don't see the hands, he flashes them every so often but it's not consistent enough for me to believe he's got top 9 in him

He doesn't have hands that can dangle a puck like our high-end skilled guys but he has good hands, I think he needs 2 AHL seasons and he will be good to go

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think we have to wait and see with him, but he is a huge guy with some skill.

And that is the issue.
He is a huge guy with some raw skill, and he needs to be playing hockey.
He has played 6 games this year, and not one since the end of September when he got hurt. Before he was hurt, he was scratched for multiple games and was playing extremely limited minutes.

IMO, he should never have gone to the KHL. He said he went because of Jokerits coach, Lauri Marjamaki. But he has really only ever developed forwards, never a D man.

He seems to have thought he needed a bigger challenge than the CHL, but he didnt really dominate that league either to the level one would think for a guy who is 6'6 230ish.

I just hope he sticks with what he said over the summer, which is he is mainly working on his speed and skating overall.

Wonder if he makes sense as a guy to bring to the Marlies next year, or the year after?

Liljgren, Durzi, Hollowell, and Lindgren are the younger RHD on the Marlies (or could be next year) who he would be competing with. None really have any size.
If you look at the AHL D in general, unless they bring in Gordeev he would be the only D above 6'1.

Id be pretty happy if he was brought over, given games and a full year of time with Barb et al.

He may never be a top 4 guy in the NHL, but if he is a solid #5/6 with snarl, size and can skate, thats still darn valuable.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
And that is the issue.
He is a huge guy with some raw skill, and he needs to be playing hockey.
He has played 6 games this year, and not one since the end of September when he got hurt. Before he was hurt, he was scratched for multiple games and was playing extremely limited minutes.

IMO, he should never have gone to the KHL. He said he went because of Jokerits coach, Lauri Marjamaki. But he has really only ever developed forwards, never a D man.

He seems to have thought he needed a bigger challenge than the CHL, but he didnt really dominate that league either to the level one would think for a guy who is 6'6 230ish.

I just hope he sticks with what he said over the summer, which is he is mainly working on his speed and skating overall.

Wonder if he makes sense as a guy to bring to the Marlies next year, or the year after?

Liljgren, Durzi, Hollowell, and Lindgren are the younger RHD on the Marlies (or could be next year) who he would be competing with. None really have any size.
If you look at the AHL D in general, unless they bring in Gordeev he would be the only D above 6'1.

Id be pretty happy if he was brought over, given games and a full year of time with Barb et al.

He may never be a top 4 guy in the NHL, but if he is a solid #5/6 with snarl, size and can skate, thats still darn valuable.

I dunno why the Leafs didn't step in and tell him not to go, and Gilmour is at Kingston also, I'm not so sure the Leafs see him as ELC worthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->