Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition III

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
As time goes on we will need cheap AHL call ups to replace some of our forwards as they get more expensive, so I agree that Bracco can come in and take a role like Trevor Moore and fit in to whatever extent that he does. However, the way the team is built on this soft, small skill, I see those rolls filled already, and we will more likely require guys like Korshkov to develop than the group of Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, etc.

When I look at the playoff series against Boston, we need more versatile guys like DeBrusk and Heinen who can give you a bit of everything.
Why can't we fill the ranks with both? We will need cheap skill as well as size and grit.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why can't we fill the ranks with both? We will need cheap skill as well as size and grit.

Skill we've got, grit and size we don't

With Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Kapanen and Johnsson in the top 9 some of the size + grit guys working out would be a godsend, finding spots for skill guys without a gritty hardworking element that makes them useful as a 3rd wheel on a skill line (like Moore) it's hard to find a spot to play them

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Rosen has played 9 games since Liljegren got hurt, 3A 0G and - 7 in those games. He hasn't been nearly as good since Liljegren went down.
-7 with his defense partners is nothing, quit watching stats and try watching the damn games. I guess its all Rosens fault, the brutal goaltending had nothing to do with it, smh lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Skill we've got, grit and size we don't

With Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Kadri, Kapanen and Johnsson in the top 9 some of the size + grit guys working out would be a godsend, finding spots for skill guys without a gritty hardworking element that makes them useful as a 3rd wheel on a skill line (like Moore) it's hard to find a spot to play them
Grundstrom will be a nice add and brings both elements.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Grundstrom will be a nice add and brings both elements.

Engvall and Korskov have some size but I'm not sure there particularly gritty, the only guys that jump to mind are Grundstrom and Marchment, Moore has speed and skill and is willing to engage physically but he's not what I'd call gritty either

I can't believe I'm going to say this but another Hyman would be useful

Reactions: saltming

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
-7 with his defense partners is nothing, quit watching stats and try watching the damn games. I guess its all Rosens fault, the brutal goaltending had nothing to do with it, smh lol.
very few if any watch Marlie games unless its streamed, all info in here is off stats and twitter, trust me

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
It's hard to watch games online, but I've watched a decent amount this year. I watched the couple games after Liljegren got hurt, and him and his partners - Subban/Corrado for a lot of it, were an absolute trainwreck. You kind of proved my point. He has been bad with other defensive partners, but has looked good with Liljegren - they definitely help each other. Marlies goaltending has been brutal all year yet he was a +8 with Liljegren, and has been a -7 since the injury.

Not even sure what you're getting worked up about, Rosen looked a lot better with Liljegren as his partner. Being the best defenceman on the ice for the Marlies isn't that special given the rest of the D corp. He also missed like 1 game with an injury..

Reactions: stickty111

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I DONT KNOW WHAT IS CORRECT ANYMORE
What is correct is that Liljegren is an important member to the defence core of the Marlies.
It is important to note that the Marlies goal tending situation is completely screwed and +/- is a completely irrelevant stat.

McGregor is another Hyman.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Seeing the complete lack of playing time Rassanen has received this year in the KHL really reinforces how dumb of a choice it was for him to go.
Chl hockey would have been great for him, let him dominate with his size and keep working on his game. Instead he is healthy scratched when he isn't hurt.
Feels kind of like we may have wasted a 2nd on this one folks!

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Seeing the complete lack of playing time Rassanen has received this year in the KHL really reinforces how dumb of a choice it was for him to go.
Chl hockey would have been great for him, let him dominate with his size and keep working on his game. Instead he is healthy scratched when he isn't hurt.
Feels kind of like we may have wasted a 2nd on this one folks!

I think we have to wait and see with him, but he is a huge guy with some skill.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's hard to watch games online, but I've watched a decent amount this year. I watched the couple games after Liljegren got hurt, and him and his partners - Subban/Corrado for a lot of it, were an absolute trainwreck. You kind of proved my point. He has been bad with other defensive partners, but has looked good with Liljegren - they definitely help each other. Marlies goaltending has been brutal all year yet he was a +8 with Liljegren, and has been a -7 since the injury.

Not even sure what you're getting worked up about, Rosen looked a lot better with Liljegren as his partner. Being the best defenceman on the ice for the Marlies isn't that special given the rest of the D corp. He also missed like 1 game with an injury..
Yup. Rosen has been good this season but has really declined without Lilly.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Can't the Marlies sign a guy or two from NCAA Division I hockey and play him or is there a restriction set in place by the AHL? I understand the reluctance with signing college guys but if the Marlies have this void in talent currently and for the foreseeable future, why not send your amateur scouting team across the border and nab guys that are physically developed enough to play AHL hockey?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Can't the Marlies sign a guy or two from NCAA Division I hockey and play him or is there a restriction set in place by the AHL? I understand the reluctance with signing college guys but if the Marlies have this void in talent currently and for the foreseeable future, why not send your amateur scouting team across the border and nab guys that are physically developed enough to play AHL hockey?

There's quite a collection of NCAA players on the Growlers right now, all on AHL contracts, several of whom are PPG or near PPG forwards. I'm guessing such signings will be part of the ongoing development program that will help fill out the Marlies in future.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Yup. Rosen has been good this season but has really declined without Lilly.
Its not so much declining without Lily, its getting back into game shape from his injury. Without Lily his defense pairing declined, not so much Rosen declined. That and awful goaltending.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Marlies have a void in talent? Goaltending has let them down big time but this is still a team that can do major damage in the playoffs if they ever get a goalie.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
What is correct is that Liljegren is an important member to the defence core of the Marlies.
It is important to note that the Marlies goal tending situation is completely screwed and +/- is a completely irrelevant stat.

McGregor is another Hyman.

Is McGregor very gritty? He’s had great stats lately but I don’t know much else about his game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Engvall and Korskov have some size but I'm not sure there particularly gritty, the only guys that jump to mind are Grundstrom and Marchment, Moore has speed and skill and is willing to engage physically but he's not what I'd call gritty either

I thought I read Korshkov is very physical, not in crushing hits but in board battles and net front battles etc. in fact I swear someone said he is like a taller hyman

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Welcome to the dark side brother haha.
Marchment and Korshkov is the gritty one of those you mentioned, sadly that's usually why Korshkov gets injured, but Engvall uses his size well to shield the puck.
I would like to see both Korshkov and Grundstrom put on a little bit of muscle though. Hymans size allows him to take/give so much contact. If those 2 mentioned can break the 200lbs mark I would be happy.

Edit
I will throw Joshua in there too. I really like his game. Might top out as a 3rd line C but still has the size and game we need

Reactions: Kiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad