Salary Cap: Marleau's 3rd Year

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You're wrong, sorry. Others have been speculating and I've taken a wait and see attitude. I'm trying to see both sides of the argument, you should try it sometime. Nobody can say for certain what the story is, that's a fact.
I am not wrong as of this moment.....sorry , only the speculators are. There may be a second side to this later on, but as of right now I see no reason why A) He wouldn't honour the contract, and B) why the Leafs would force him out. If the cap goes up by another say.....3 to 4 million (a reasonable speculation based on historical amounts), that will leave the Leafs with approximately $40 million in cap space (with Horton's LTIR room). I see that being enough to keep everyone.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am not wrong as of this moment.....sorry Only the speculators are. There may be a second side to this later on, but I see no reason why A) He wouldn't honour the contract, and B) why the Leafs would force him out. If the cap goes up by another say.....3 to 4 million (a reasonable speculation based on historical amounts), that will leave the Leafs with approximately $40 million in cap space (with Horton's LTIR room). I see that being enough to keep everyone.

Unless the speculators are right, in which case you are wrong to ridicule them because there's no "evidence".

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Unless the speculators are right, in which case you are wrong to ridicule them because there's no "evidence".
Yet I can be ridiculed for stating the facts. Very interesting logic, or lack thereof.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What facts are you stating that you are being ridiculed for?
Go back and see my post where I listed all the reasons Marleau holds all the cards. And before that. Because he does. The Leafs hold none. Even presuming a "handshake deal", Marleau still has/had to agree to that. So no matter what, Marleau holds his fate in his own hands. Maybe he will decide to bow out, but that isn't the point. The point is he signed a 3 year contract and uprooted his family for a reason, and it's not the extra $3-4 million he gets after making close to $100 million already. He wants a cup. It's the only thing he's missing. So his motivation for leaving is NIL.

That was my point all along, and it was never proven wrong.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Go back and see my post where I listed all the reasons Marleau holds all the cards. And before that. Because he does. The Leafs hold none. Even presuming a "handshake deal", Marleau still has/had to agree to that. So no matter what, Marleau holds his fate in his own hands. Maybe he will decide to bow out, but that isn't the point. The point is he signed a 3 year contract and uprooted his family for a reason, and it's not the extra $3-4 million he gets after making close to $100 million already. He wants a cup. It's the only thing he's missing. So his motivation for leaving is NIL.

That was my point all along, and it was never proven wrong.

Most of what you're saying here is speculation.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The 3 year NMC isn't. Nor is the fact that he holds all the cards.

As an example, "holds all the cards" is a subjective phrase so you'd have a hard time proving such a thing as being factual under the best of circumstances. You and I obviously have a different idea of what the word "fact" means and thus this discussion became pointless some time ago. I think we're done here.

Reactions: kb and Joey Hoser

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As an example, "holds all the cards" is a subjective phrase so you'd have a hard time proving such a thing as being factual under the best of circumstances. You and I obviously have a different idea of what the word "fact" means and thus this discussion became pointless some time ago. I think we're done here.

Well, we are done. Because all the facts I provided are verifiable and not subjective. The only thing subjective was the mythical handshake deal that may or may not exist.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Because there is zero evidence of this? It's not a reasonable assumption.

Please. Just like there was 0 evidence of Hossa becoming allergic of his equipment, Zetterberg and Datsyuk not playing out their contracts. I bet you thought Kovalchuk was going to play in the NHL until he was in his mid 40’s.

It’s more than reasonable to suspect that Marleau isn’t going to want to play his 40yr old season for $1.25m.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Should we assume that any contract being signed isn't done so with the intent that it would be fulfilled?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Well, we are done. Because all the facts I provided are verifiable and not subjective. The only thing subjective was the mythical handshake deal that may or may not exist.

Might want to take your “facts” with a dose of history. It is a fact that contracts have outs, so it is a fact that not every contract must be taken at face value.

If you want to say it’s fact that Marleau wants to win a cup, then I’ll tell you it’s fact that he doesn’t want to play a season of hockey for $1.25m.

No one is saying that Marleau doesn’t have control of his destiny. But what people are saying is that both Marleau and the Leafs have already agreed that it’s best for both sides of he doesn’t play the final year.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not end of career ones structured to pay a player a pittance in the final season.
Seems pretty standard these days for players to get most of their money up front.
What the charade with the NMC?

Might want to take your “facts” with a dose of history. It is a fact that contracts have outs, so it is a fact that not every contract must be taken at face value.

If you want to say it’s fact that Marleau wants to win a cup, then I’ll tell you it’s fact that he doesn’t want to play a season of hockey for $1.25m.

No one is saying that Marleau doesn’t have control of his destiny. But what people are saying is that both Marleau and the Leafs have already agreed that it’s best for both sides of he doesn’t play the final year.

How is it best for Marleau not to play his final year?
You don't think that all players want to win the cup?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

"Fun with facts", a game that people of all ages can play. Good clean fun for the entire family. ;)

Reactions: mavis

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Seems pretty standard these days for players to get most of their money up front.
What the charade with the NMC?

Quite possibly he wants protection to not have to ride a bus with the Marlies if his play declines. I don’t think a NMC is in contradiction to the early retirement.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Quite possibly he wants protection to not have to ride a bus with the Marlies if his play declines. I don’t think a NMC is in contradiction to the early retirement.
Wouldn't they have included no Marlies in the handshake deal? Doesn't most of his cap count anyways if he's a Marlie?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
How is it not a fact that he wants to win a cup? That seems like an enormous reach.

Sure, every player “wants to win a cup.” But they also want to make millions to be away from their families for months. If we want to talk facts, we need set aside the romance and understand that despite wanting to win, there is a price to be paid. It’s unlikely the price is as low as $1.25m for someone as wealthy as Marleau.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Sure, every player “wants to win a cup.” But they also want to make millions to be away from their families for months. If we want to talk facts, we need set aside the romance and understand that despite wanting to win, there is a price to be paid. It’s unlikely the price is as low as $1.25m for someone as wealthy as Marleau.
He'd play for free for a ring.
He's already made 100 million or so in his career.

Reactions: mavis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad