Confirmed with Link: Marleau signs with Sharks

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The youth movement could have worked with another coach, but DeBoer loves his vets and that wasn't an option. Since the Sharks don't have their 1st round pick, I support this move since it has the possibility of getting this season on track.
Im so sick of this "PDB hates kids" meme. He played Meier and Labanc. He's given 4 rookies plenty of ice time to start the year. Who has PDB unfairly treated that is a "rookie" in his tenure?

Also, f***ing called it. First line Marleau right back next to Couture like it's 2014

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
My hope is that Marleau still has some gas but that we also manage to get a top 6 sometime during the year and one or two of our rookies takes off when the rest of the team figures things out — because then we’re talking real depth.

If the lines are:

Meier - Couture - Top 6
Kane - Hertl - Yurtaykin/Bergmann/Chek/Chlem
Marleau - Joe - Labanc
Sorenson - Gambrell/Goodrow - Bergmann

that’s not a bad team. But the rookies have to work out and I genuinely think someone like Yurtaykin can get going if say, Hertl, stopped playing like hot garbage.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My hope is that Marleau still has some gas but that we also manage to get a top 6 sometime during the year and one or two of our rookies takes off when the rest of the team figures things out — because then we’re talking real depth.

If the lines are:

Meier - Couture - Top 6
Marleau - Joe - Labanc

that’s not a bad team. But the rookies have to work out and I genuinely think someone like Yurtaykin can get going if say, Hertl, stopped playing like hot garbage.

On paper yeah. But on paper we should be better than a 0-4 team with a -12 goal differential. I am setting my expectations pretty low this year, even if we somehow magically end up with a top-6 F.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

If the lines are:

Meier - Couture - Top 6
Marleau - Joe - Labanc

Lmao Hertl has been fine, just because he has had shit for wings all year, and hasn't carried them, doesn't mean he is one playing like hot garbage.

Wanna talk hot garbage, look to our dear old captain, or 12 mil turnover machine who was supposed to save us.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Curious about something I have been reading a lot about Patty's return. Most (hockey media) are point out that he is no longer the same skater he was in the past, that he has lost a step and it really started to show in TO last season.

I think it is fair to accept that the is no longer an elite skater. Even given that a couple of things stick out to me

1) It is a stretch to call Pavelski an average skater, Marleau is like going to be an upgrade in foot speed or at the very least on par.
2) Toronto has a fast group of forwards and I think it made it even harder for Marleau to keep up.

Ultimately, I see these are reasons to be more optimistic then I first was, however, I am stopping well short of saying he is the ideal winger.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Im so sick of this "PDB hates kids" meme. He played Meier and Labanc. He's given 4 rookies plenty of ice time to start the year. Who has PDB unfairly treated that is a "rookie" in his tenure?

Bergmann and yurtaikin played a combined 11 minutes today, which is the same as Melker alone (who has been trash for several years now) while Meier and Hertl were on for 20+ each and Kane for 22. Ferraro played 15min when the team was playing with 5D the entire game. A+ minute management...

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Bergmann and yurtaikin played a combined 11 minutes today, which is the same as Melker alone (who has been trash for several years now) while Meier and Hertl were on for 20+ each and Kane for 22. Ferraro played 15min when the team was playing with 5D the entire game. A+ minute management...
Nothing will ever be enough until Bergmann is getting 20 minutes a game I guess

Reactions: Red Light Lover

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

That's unfair. I'd like to see Bergmann and Yurtaikin getting a combined 14-15 minutes/game, but I'd also like to see them get some special teams time. I completely understand that after an 0-4 start, getting a win was critical so playing your top players a bit more makes sense, especially since they need to work out their problems. However, playing MK 11 minutes/night is a bad idea, although he was solid against Chicago.

Can't stress enough, though, that Chicago is a bad, bad, bad team, especially on the defensive end.

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
That's unfair. I'd like to see Bergmann and Yurtaikin getting a combined 14-15 minutes/game, but I'd also like to see them get some special teams time. I completely understand that after an 0-4 start, getting a win was critical so playing your top players a bit more makes sense, especially since they need to work out their problems. However, playing MK 11 minutes/night is a bad idea, although he was solid against Chicago.

Can't stress enough, though, that Chicago is a bad, bad, bad team, especially on the defensive end.
Bergmann and Yurtaikin haven't looked out of place but they have done nothing to earn minutes either. The NHL is a lot faster than DEL or KHL. I think it's smart to acclimate them with limited minutes until they are used to the rigors of the NHL. PDB is doing them a favor by sheltering them at this stage in their development.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I don’t think that there is any issue with Meier/Hertl playing 20+ or Kane playing 22+. That kind of stuff happens in games like this and isn’t a problem or an indicator that PDB hates young players. However, the issue that I have is that those players played the same number of minutes as Melker who has proven he is trash for multiple seasons now.

Why do you feel the need to misrepresent somebody’s position here? Nobody is suggesting those players play 20 minutes per game. That poster is suggesting that they probably should be combining for significantly more time than Melker Karlsson plays. And that’s completely fair.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Why do you feel the need to misrepresent somebody’s position here? Nobody is suggesting those players play 20 minutes per game. That poster is suggesting that they probably should be combining for significantly more time than Melker Karlsson plays. And that’s completely fair.
The same reason those people feel the need to pretend PDB refuses to play "the kids" and hates "the kids" and treats "the kids" like shit and is the worst coach in the league when it comes to "the kids". How dare he play veteran players he trusts over "the kids" despite the fact we've been playing guys like Sorenson, Donskoi, Labanc, Meier, Demelo, ect the last 3 years. And now this year we have Bergmann, Yuri-whatever, Gambrell, Ferraro, Middleton ect all getting ice time. I'm sure we will see the CH twins at some point if they earn ice time.

It's false narrative. People look at a few players they really like, who often aren't that good and expect them to be getting more ice time and to be given PP time in what I assume for the team was a must win game. Pete loaded up the on the vets because the team needed to win a damn game. I have no problem with that. But at the same time people get pissed when Gambrell (23) get's to play and Brodzinski (26) gets sent down as though either of them have done anything of note.

So now you have people who are mad that 2 guys they like aren't getting enough ice time in ONE game but then people are also mad that Gambrell hasn't been sent down/benched. It's never been a matter of Pete doesn't play the kids, it's always been a matter of Pete doesn't play the kids I want him to play.

My point is, nothing is ever enough for anyone here unless Pete ices that individuals specific "ideal line up" and every player gets a specific amount of ice time in specific situations. This attitude of "I know more than the coach and GM" gets old when you see 100 posts about how it's a travesty Suomela was treated the way he was by the org despite the fact that a year later the team was correct in their assessment. People used to bitch and moan about how we NEED Stalock to play over Niemi. Why oh why won't they start Stalock against LA? Then Stalock shits the bed in game 6 and it's like uhh because he isnt good? Where is he now? He's a middling back up...not the bona fide starter a lot of people here claimed he would be.

I want nothing more than for Gambrell to develop into a solid 3rd liner simply because I'm tired of reading about how horrible he is while at the same time reading how unfair Pete is when it comes to "the kids".

I don't mean to call you out specifically, you've always been a pretty fair and level headed poster even if I may disagree with you at times.

To keep this on topic. Marleau looked good and I admit I may be wrong about bringing him back.

Reactions: Erep

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Curious about something I have been reading a lot about Patty's return. Most (hockey media) are point out that he is no longer the same skater he was in the past, that he has lost a step and it really started to show in TO last season.

I think it is fair to accept that the is no longer an elite skater. Even given that a couple of things stick out to me

1) It is a stretch to call Pavelski an average skater, Marleau is like going to be an upgrade in foot speed or at the very least on par.
2) Toronto has a fast group of forwards and I think it made it even harder for Marleau to keep up.

Ultimately, I see these are reasons to be more optimistic then I first was, however, I am stopping well short of saying he is the ideal winger.

Pavs foot speed is one thing he doesnt do at an nhl level. Hes is way below in the regard.

Patty may not be as fast but when your elite and at the top, you can only go down. He is still faster then 80% of the league, just for his standard he has lost a step.

Patty losing a step once again is better then most the league.

No question Patty foot speed is an upgrade over Pavs.

Patrick Marleau at 55 will outskate Pavs at 25 in his prime no question.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
People used to ***** and moan about how we NEED Stalock to play over Niemi. Why oh why won't they start Stalock against LA? Then Stalock ****s the bed in game 6 and it's like uhh because he isnt good? Where is he now? He's a middling back up...not the bona fide starter a lot of people here claimed he would be.

For the sake of the record. Stalock "didn't shit the bed," it was Justin Williams pushing Stalock into the net. If anyone "shit the bed" it was the league, but that's nothing new today.

I know some people were delusional claiming Stalock being a starter, but a lot of fans wanted him to be played more to know what we had in him. With hindsight, IMO it seemed the biggest problem with those teams had more to do with too many pylons on defense.

Also, the gripe with DeBoer is a gripe all fans have with coaches which have been around for years: It's the fact that these coaches end up having their pet players who are given spots and minutes that other players should have a chance at receiving.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Who is this Marleau guy and how did he go unsigned for so long? Then, he gets signed for only $700k?

The guy is on pace for 154 goals with the Sharks this year.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Marleau outside after decapitating the Hawks.

giphy.gif

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I mean, I'd be okay with sending Bergmann to the AHL. He could use some extra development time overall but he has an advanced physical game that fits the construction and usage of our 4th line. Yurtaikin is an NHLer in my mind and should get some reasonable minutes but his skillset isn't quite there yet to be a bonafide success higher in the lineup but he thinks the game well and he can keep up with the NHL pace. Pretty happy with them but I see where they need improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad