Confirmed with Link: Marleau signs with Sharks

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Here I thought the Gambrell tangent would be the weirdest thing this thread did, and then *bam*... A suggestion that Doug Wilson conspired with Patrick Marleau to watch the Sharks lose their opening week's slate of games (which has the added hilarity of suggesting that Wilson knowingly built a substandard team and was ok with it for arbitrary reasons) in order to engineer a positive storyline return for a guy he essentially publicly denounced in his "we're gonna give the kids a chance" statement in the preseason.

I know I make a lot of wrestling references, but this is some primo Vince McMahon level shenanigans being suggested. The idea that he would intentionally sit on his hands and let the team lose without doing anything just so he could spare Marleau from being in the lineup as they got trashed by Vegas is nuts. It also suggests that Marleau is a secret asshat for going "I could return right now, but I'd rather wait a week so I don't look like a chump by association when the team gets throttled by Vegas."
What's he gonna do the next time the Knights are on the schedule? Fake that he has to go to his grandpa's funeral? Because I don't think he has enough grandparents to carry that excuse for the rest of the season.

It's also a nice argument once again for occam's razor.
I dunno about Occam but Dinsdale Piranha liked my theory.

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
I don't buy into a conspiracy of that magnitude, but I do feel they were planning to sign him at some point. Likely a Temu Salanne type of situation where he joins a few months into the season, a) "to give the kids a chance" and b) so they lower the cap hit so there would be a possibility of doing something at the trade deadline, but the early offensive struggles moved the timeline up a bit.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Here I thought the Gambrell tangent would be the weirdest thing this thread did, and then *bam*... A suggestion that Doug Wilson conspired with Patrick Marleau to watch the Sharks lose their opening week's slate of games (which has the added hilarity of suggesting that Wilson knowingly built a substandard team and was ok with it for arbitrary reasons) in order to engineer a positive storyline return for a guy he essentially publicly denounced in his "we're gonna give the kids a chance" statement in the preseason.

I know I make a lot of wrestling references, but this is some primo Vince McMahon level shenanigans being suggested. The idea that he would intentionally sit on his hands and let the team lose without doing anything just so he could spare Marleau from being in the lineup as they got trashed by Vegas is nuts. It also suggests that Marleau is a secret asshat for going "I could return right now, but I'd rather wait a week so I don't look like a chump by association when the team gets throttled by Vegas."
What's he gonna do the next time the Knights are on the schedule? Fake that he has to go to his grandpa's funeral? Because I don't think he has enough grandparents to carry that excuse for the rest of the season.

It's also a nice argument once again for occam's razor.

I’ve had this little idea that maybe it was the guys calling out DW for not signing him. Jumbo, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, some powerful voices in that room. All of them were clearly uninterested for those first couple of games. I get the sense sometimes that Doug and the boys aren’t always seeing eye to eye these days.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If anyone will be bumping Jumbo out of that 3c role, it will most definitely be Gambrell. That will all be determined by how they both preform.

I just don’t understand how it is a pipe dream when Gambrell was literally bumped into that spot last game, and did well. Sure it was only one game, but him bumping Jumbo down shows PDB will do whatever is beneficial in-game.

My hope is Jumbo and Gambrell both start to look consistently better, and Gambrell would then move onto the 3rd line wing.

IMO, Jumbo has looked pretty bad defensively to start the year, which is why I’m saying this. I’m assuming he will look better in a month or two, but until he does that spot is still up in the air.

At what point during the game did gambrell move up to the 3rd line and thornton to the 4th?

1st period where thornton had 7 shifts for 5:03 of ice time, compared to gambrel who had 5 shifts for 3:03 of ice time?

2nd period where thornton had 6 shifts for 4:40 of ice time, where gambrel had 4 shifts for a total of 3:44 of ice time?

3rd period where thornton had 6 shifts for 3:36 of ice time, where gambrel had 3 shifts for 2:12 of ice time?

If they bumped thornton down it certain did not show it on the ice time sheet.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
At what point during the game did gambrell move up to the 3rd line and thornton to the 4th?

1st period where thornton had 7 shifts for 5:03 of ice time, compared to gambrel who had 5 shifts for 3:03 of ice time?

2nd period where thornton had 6 shifts for 4:40 of ice time, where gambrel had 4 shifts for a total of 3:44 of ice time?

3rd period where thornton had 6 shifts for 3:36 of ice time, where gambrel had 3 shifts for 2:12 of ice time?

If they bumped thornton down it certain did not show it on the ice time sheet.

Yeah looking at ice time he clearly played even less then the previous game in Nashville. I was more referring to his line, as I'm pretty sure I remember him playing more with Kane and Yurtaykin than previous games.

Thornton was playing with Melker and Goodrow, who have generally made up the 4th line.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof

tenor.gif

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I wonder if his time in Toronto gave him a lot of perspective on his time in SJ. Maybe he did start to feel too comfortable in the last few years before he left. I say this because he seems to be playing at a higher tempo and energy right now than he did in the last few years the first time around. He probably learned a couple tricks from Marner and Matthews too.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I wonder if his time in Toronto gave him a lot of perspective on his time in SJ. Maybe he did start to feel too comfortable in the last few years before he left. I say this because he seems to be playing at a higher tempo and energy right now than he did in the last few years the first time around. He probably learned a couple tricks from Marner and Matthews too.
Marleau didn't dream of playing for Toronto like tavares.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

JonathanK81

Aug 3, 2005
The OC

Hopefully Matthews learned something too.....like how good of an organization the Sharks are ;) SJ is only a stones throw...well sort of, from San Ramon. Even though I know he doesn't really call it home or anything.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hopefully Matthews learned something too.....like how good of an organization the Sharks are ;) SJ is only a stones throw...well sort of, from San Ramon. Even though I know he doesn't really call it home or anything.

I think that this is what it is. He didn’t know how good he had it in San Jose, compared to even people like Thornton and especially Karlsson.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't think Matthews will come here, but it would be nice. Toronto only has 6 players that will be RFA after their current contract on the 23-man roster. The rest will all be UFAs. All but one of the defensemen will be UFA after this season.

Toronto doesn't plan too well. I guess that's due to having serious annual revenue. They are the few clubs that seem to be perennial abusers of the LTIR rules.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't think Matthews will come here, but it would be nice. Toronto only has 6 players that will be RFA after their current contract on the 23-man roster. The rest will all be UFAs. All but one of the defensemen will be UFA after this season.

Toronto doesn't plan too well. I guess that's due to having serious annual revenue. They are the few clubs that seem to be perennial abusers of the LTIR rules.

I have fun during the cba negotiations during the lockout, but for the most part i could care less about what is in it.

But one thing i want completely gone from the next cba is the stupid long term injured reserve. And i don't mean the ones that are injured for 6 weeks so they get put on it. I am talking about the clarkson contracts the hossa contracts the pronger contracts.

If a player won't play a game in a season, there contract comes off the cap completely. This will help the players with the escrow by a lot also.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have fun during the cba negotiations during the lockout, but for the most part i could care less about what is in it.

But one thing i want completely gone from the next cba is the stupid long term injured reserve. And i don't mean the ones that are injured for 6 weeks so they get put on it. I am talking about the clarkson contracts the hossa contracts the pronger contracts.

If a player won't play a game in a season, there contract comes off the cap completely. This will help the players with the escrow by a lot also.

It would also incentivize teams to sit expensive players who are ineffective so that they can just allocate that cap hit elsewhere without any competitive consequence.

Jul 10, 2010
I’ve had this little idea that maybe it was the guys calling out DW for not signing him. Jumbo, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, some powerful voices in that room. All of them were clearly uninterested for those first couple of games. I get the sense sometimes that Doug and the boys aren’t always seeing eye to eye these days.
well i wouldnt go that far, i "knew" Patty would be back when Jumbo made the comments to the media.

And i only dont believe this because i think if the kids had of stepped up and played well, Patty wouldnt be here now. If any of them had proved average alongside Jumbo or Hertl, theyd of had that chance, and the players would of been ok with that

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
well i wouldnt go that far, i "knew" Patty would be back when Jumbo made the comments to the media.

And i only dont believe this because i think if the kids had of stepped up and played well, Patty wouldnt be here now. If any of them had proved average alongside Jumbo or Hertl, theyd of had that chance, and the players would of been ok with that

It's also Labanc starting off terribly in the top six but yeah if Yurtaykin instantly produced while in the lineup, Patty wouldn't be here. I think even if one of those things happened, Labanc starting off in the top six strong or Yurtaykin or some other kid performing well in the top six, Marleau wouldn't be here either.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
40-YEAR-OLD MARLEAU SCORES OVERTIME WINNER FOR SHARKS

The Kings overcame a 3-0 deficit in regulation, but Patrick Marleau scored the overtime winner as the Sharks improved to 9-1-0 in their last 10 games. Marleau became the first player age 40 or older to score an overtime goal since 42-year-old Jaromir Jagr did so on Oct. 25, 2014 (w/ NJD).

* Marleau scored his 107th career game-winning goal in the regular season and moved within one of Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin (108) for seventh place on the League’s all-time list. He recorded his 99th career game-winning goal with the Sharks to move past Bobby Hull (98 w/ CHI) for sole possession of the third-most in NHL history by a player with one franchise, trailing only Gordie Howe (121 w/ DET) and Ovechkin.

Marleau Media-26012826.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->