Confirmed with Link: Marleau signs with Sharks

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I mean, I'd be okay with sending Bergmann to the AHL. He could use some extra development time overall but he has an advanced physical game that fits the construction and usage of our 4th line. Yurtaikin is an NHLer in my mind and should get some reasonable minutes but his skillset isn't quite there yet to be a bonafide success higher in the lineup but he thinks the game well and he can keep up with the NHL pace. Pretty happy with them but I see where they need improvement.
Yeah, as it stands, if Gambrell continues to perform like yesterday, he needs to stay in the lineup at 4C, then you have Bergmann, Yurtaykin, and Radil rotating through two spots. I think that is fine for now, put together Goodrow-Thornton-Yurtaykin, and have Bergmann/Radil-Gambrell-Melker. (Obviously Melker will get shifted up a line sometimes, but whatever.) The issue comes when Sorensen comes back, and if Goodrow is still playing well the third line has to be Sorensen-Thornton-Goodrow, unless Yurtaykin is playing Sorensen out of the lineup. That means either Yurtaykin or Bergmann will pretty much be locked in the press box with Radil, which is not what you want for two guys who look like they have significant roles to play over the next few years.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, as it stands, if Gambrell continues to perform like yesterday, he needs to stay in the lineup at 4C, then you have Bergmann, Yurtaykin, and Radil rotating through two spots. I think that is fine for now, put together Goodrow-Thornton-Yurtaykin, and have Bergmann/Radil-Gambrell-Melker. (Obviously Melker will get shifted up a line sometimes, but whatever.) The issue comes when Sorensen comes back, and if Goodrow is still playing well the third line has to be Sorensen-Thornton-Goodrow, unless Yurtaykin is playing Sorensen out of the lineup. That means either Yurtaykin or Bergmann will pretty much be locked in the press box with Radil, which is not what you want for two guys who look like they have significant roles to play over the next few years.
As much as I like Yourtalkin, I don't see him taking Sorenson spot with the way he was skating prior to the injury. I thought this season he's looked very good for what his game is. He also kills penalties right? I don't see him coming out when healthy unless he's struggling horribly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As much as I like Yourtalkin, I don't see him taking Sorenson spot with the way he was skating prior to the injury. I thought this season he's looked very good for what his game is. He also kills penalties right? I don't see him coming out when healthy unless he's struggling horribly.

When Sorensen gets healthy, you can put him on the right side with Thornton to keep Yurtaykin in the lineup but I don't see DeBoer going that way. When Sorensen is healthy, it wouldn't surprise me that he keeps Karlsson or Goodrow with Thornton and the other on Gambrell's right side. I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps Bergmann in the lineup over Yurtaykin. Even though it's pretty clear that Yurtaykin is more talented, I think Bergmann is a better fit for the role he's being given right now.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
My point was just, unless Gambrell (plays center), Sorensen, Goodrow, or Melker are getting a lot of healthy scratches, either Bergmann or Yurtaykin are getting them. At that point (fair if you think it should be Bergmann) he should be sent down rather than benched, and Brodzinski can be called up for that role.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Man, I was really looking forward to where this was going.

Also, I really hope they give Marleau a solo lap on Sunday.
I don't feel like arguing about an extra 3 minutes of ice time for players who are more or less equal in impact

Also agree, that would be pretty sweet. Of all the ways for Marleau to return, this "save us" angle is the one I'm the most ok with

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
When Sorensen gets healthy, you can put him on the right side with Thornton to keep Yurtaykin in the lineup but I don't see DeBoer going that way. When Sorensen is healthy, it wouldn't surprise me that he keeps Karlsson or Goodrow with Thornton and the other on Gambrell's right side. I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps Bergmann in the lineup over Yurtaykin. Even though it's pretty clear that Yurtaykin is more talented, I think Bergmann is a better fit for the role he's being given right now.
Agree with all this. To be honestly I almost like Bergmann and Yourtalkin equally. Bergmann has pretty good hands in his own right and I would love for him to develop into a middle 6 power forward. He just needs to learn to work with his teammates better.

My point was just, unless Gambrell (plays center), Sorensen, Goodrow, or Melker are getting a lot of healthy scratches, either Bergmann or Yurtaykin are getting them. At that point (fair if you think it should be Bergmann) he should be sent down rather than benched, and Brodzinski can be called up for that role.
Oh I think that if one of those 2 get benched for more than a game or 2 they will get sent down which would be great for their game. Get them some confidence because they're clearly too good for the AHL. Pretty sure they don't have to go thru waivers yet so it's easy. I don't see Brodzinski being called up again unless it's based on merit and it's to stay the rest of the season. I don't think they want to risk putting him thru waivers again if they have to send him down a week later. Basically Marleau took his veteran roster spot. I think that dude is done until he blows people away in the AHL or there is a long term injury to a winger on the big club.

As far as what Goody is he's been playing great this so far. He would make a good wing for Jumbo if Labanc can get into the top 6 at some point. He's so much better on the wing though so I hope Gamby continues an upward trajectory so he can stay in as the 4th line center.

Last edited:

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
As far as what Goody is he's been playing great this so far. He would make a good wing for Jumbo if Labanc can get into the top 6 at some point. He's so much better on the wing though so I hope Gamby continues an upward trajectory so he can stay in as the 4th line center.
By the end of the Chicago game, Labanc was moved up to Hertl’s wing and Goodrow was with Thornton. I expect Goodrow and Melker will be moved back to the 4th line when youngsters prove they are ready to move up the lineup.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
By the end of the Chicago game, Labanc was moved up to Hertl’s wing and Goodrow was with Thornton. I expect Goodrow and Melker will be moved back to the 4th line when youngsters prove they are ready to move up the lineup.

That line looked shockingly good, too. It made me think that if Gambrell lives up to his potential or someone like Chlemevski or Gregor really shine and come up to play center on the third line, that Melker - Joe - Goodrow line as a fourth line is pretty potent.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
That line looked shockingly good, too. It made me think that if Gambrell lives up to his potential or someone like Chlemevski or Gregor really shine and come up to play center on the third line, that Melker - Joe - Goodrow line as a fourth line is pretty potent.

Relax Rambo.

Also very unlikely that any of those players get very little if any third line minutes this year, wishful thinking.

Even Tierney who is an average 3rd line center on his best days had more experience then those you mentioned, still got send back down to the ahl. Thats the same seaosn he had his best stretch of hockey in his career close to ppg for 20 plus gamezs or so.

So i dont see that happening

(Gambrell) It was nice to see him contribute and not be a liability, much like i need to see from our core players.

Need more consistency then a game or 2 before i have any faith he can stick at the nhl level even in a lesser role

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I was thinking the same thing but I doubt any of our youngsters bump Jumbo down a line this year. Though I wouldn’t be surprised to see him centering our 4th line at some point in the future before he retires.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Relax Rambo.

Also very unlikely that any of those players get very little if any third line minutes this year, wishful thinking.

Even Tierney who is an average 3rd line center on his best days had more experience then those you mentioned, still got send back down to the ahl. Thats the same seaosn he had his best stretch of hockey in his career close to ppg for 20 plus gamezs or so.

(Gambrell) It was nice to see him contribute and not be a liability, much like i need to see from our core players.

Need more consistency then a game or 2 before i have any faith he can stick at the nhl level even in a lesser role

Sorry, I obviously went completely off the rails, saying things like “if a young player can live up to his potential.” I’m a madman, thanks for reeling me in.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Sorry, I obviously went completely off the rails, saying things like “if a young player can live up to his potential.” I’m a madman, thanks for reeling me in.

Yes When we are talking about Gambrell and his one plus games of NHL success anytime bro

glad I could keep you Even keeled

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yes When we are talking about Gambrell and his one plus games of NHL success anytime bro

Well, and I’ve obviously framed my Gambrell jersey already — I’ve been assuming that he’s going to be a Hall of Famer — but now, thanks to your “tell it like it is” attitude, I’m not so sure. I’m just glad we have realists like you on this board, keeping us dreamers from saying crazy things like maybe a rookie will be pretty good one day.

P.S. I prefer the full “brother”, the shortened “bro” is so pedestrian.

jarr92

May 7, 2013

While Gambrell had mostly fluctuated between invisible and terrible his first 13 games, he had been very successful in the AHL and at U. of Denver before then. The 14th game might have been an aberration, but it's not ridiculous at all to suggest that Gambrell can be a solid NHL player based on his pedigree. No reason to be condescending, especially when wrong.

Relax Rambo.

The forward group when Tierney was coming up is not the same forward group as today. If Yurtaykin or Bergmann are not successful, they will absolutely be sent down and replaced by another prospect from the AHL. Yurtaykin is already getting a shot in the top 9, so it is totally realistic that someone from the AHL could get an extended look on the 3rd line if he doesn't stick. DW has already spoken about this exact thing. Again, the condescension is not the best look when you are incorrect.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
you literally arent allowed to say anything nice about Gambrell

Reactions: Jargon

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Man, I was really looking forward to where this was going.

Also, I really hope they give Marleau a solo lap on Sunday.
Likely the ostensible mini hold out was deliberate by both Marleau and Wilson. They took a good look at the team and schedule, and knew they would be crushed in both games v Vegas and by Nashville. They didn’t want the legend of Marleau tarnished by that humiliating return. Though no doubt he would have scored a meaningless goal in each game to further pad his personal stats.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
While Gambrell had mostly fluctuated between invisible and terrible his first 13 games, he had been very successful in the AHL and at U. of Denver before then. The 14th game might have been an aberration, but it's not ridiculous at all to suggest that Gambrell can be a solid NHL player based on his pedigree. No reason to be condescending, especially when wrong.

The forward group when Tierney was coming up is not the same forward group as today. If Yurtaykin or Bergmann are not successful, they will absolutely be sent down and replaced by another prospect from the AHL. Yurtaykin is already getting a shot in the top 9, so it is totally realistic that someone from the AHL could get an extended look on the 3rd line if he doesn't stick. DW has already spoken about this exact thing. Again, the condescension is not the best look when you are incorrect.

Time will tell if I’m incorrect

if you think Gregor or anyone we’ll get an extended look at 3c, which is what I was discussing.

it will be you who is incorrect. Jumbo is not getting bumped out of that spot

As far as a winger sure I never discounted that but 3c is a pipe dream

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Likely the ostensible mini hold out was deliberate by both Marleau and Wilson. They took a good look at the team and schedule, and knew they would be crushed in both games v Vegas and by Nashville. They didn’t want the legend of Marleau tarnished by that humiliating return. Though no doubt he would have scored a meaningless goal in each game to further pad his personal stats.

Here I thought the Gambrell tangent would be the weirdest thing this thread did, and then *bam*... A suggestion that Doug Wilson conspired with Patrick Marleau to watch the Sharks lose their opening week's slate of games (which has the added hilarity of suggesting that Wilson knowingly built a substandard team and was ok with it for arbitrary reasons) in order to engineer a positive storyline return for a guy he essentially publicly denounced in his "we're gonna give the kids a chance" statement in the preseason.

I know I make a lot of wrestling references, but this is some primo Vince McMahon level shenanigans being suggested. The idea that he would intentionally sit on his hands and let the team lose without doing anything just so he could spare Marleau from being in the lineup as they got trashed by Vegas is nuts. It also suggests that Marleau is a secret asshat for going "I could return right now, but I'd rather wait a week so I don't look like a chump by association when the team gets throttled by Vegas."
What's he gonna do the next time the Knights are on the schedule? Fake that he has to go to his grandpa's funeral? Because I don't think he has enough grandparents to carry that excuse for the rest of the season.

It's also a nice argument once again for occam's razor.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If anybody conspired to get Marleau, it would be Deboer. Purposely undercoach the team for the first week to force DW into signing a veteran because of his hatred for rookies.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Time will tell if I’m incorrect

if you think Gregor or anyone we’ll get an extended look at 3c, which is what I was discussing.

it will be you who is incorrect. Jumbo is not getting bumped out of that spot

As far as a winger sure I never discounted that but 3c is a pipe dream

If anyone will be bumping Jumbo out of that 3c role, it will most definitely be Gambrell. That will all be determined by how they both preform.

I just don’t understand how it is a pipe dream when Gambrell was literally bumped into that spot last game, and did well. Sure it was only one game, but him bumping Jumbo down shows PDB will do whatever is beneficial in-game.

My hope is Jumbo and Gambrell both start to look consistently better, and Gambrell would then move onto the 3rd line wing.

IMO, Jumbo has looked pretty bad defensively to start the year, which is why I’m saying this. I’m assuming he will look better in a month or two, but until he does that spot is still up in the air.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
If anyone will be bumping Jumbo out of that 3c role, it will most definitely be Gambrell. That will all be determined by how they both preform.

I just don’t understand how it is a pipe dream when Gambrell was literally bumped into that spot last game, and did well. Sure it was only one game, but him bumping Jumbo down shows PDB will do whatever is beneficial in-game.

My hope is Jumbo and Gambrell both start to look consistently better, and Gambrell would then move onto the 3rd line wing.

IMO, Jumbo has looked pretty bad defensively to start the year, which is why I’m saying this. I’m assuming he will look better in a month or two, but until he does that spot is still up in the air.
Tbf, IDK if Thornton was bumped down, or Goodrow and Melker were bumped up. Goodrow has been playing well and I think looks like a top 9 player for sure. The difference between who is line 3 and who is 4 is just a couple of minutes of ice time really. What is more important is how the chemistry on the individual lines works out, and when you have Thornton on your line, the Goodrow goal is exactly what you want your line to look like.

One guy (Melker) wins the puck on the boards, gets it behind the net to Thornton, who sends it front for a big scoring chance (Goodrow). As long as those guys are on the same page, line 3 or line 4 is just semantics.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad