Sportsnet: Marleau only wants to play in SJ, will require direct trade or trade to team who buys him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If you want to make them, you make them.

A team could want to make it on the draft floor, then no longer want to make it July 2. So much changes between the draft and July 2. Like a LOT. Just think about how many SBs get paid around the league, UFA talks, pick trades on draft floor, player for pick trade discussions and execution. Like I said, there are trades available during the draft that aren’t available on July 2. There is value in being able to know on the draft floor that the SB is off the books and off the cap. But this very basic point has been dodged for so long now that it’s probably completely detached from the overall concept it was attached to :rolleyes:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
A team could want to make it on the draft floor, then no longer want to make it July 2. So much changes between the draft and July 2. Like a LOT. Just think about how many SBs get paid around the league, UFA talks, pick trades on draft floor, player for pick trade discussions and execution. Like I said, there are trades available during the draft that aren’t available on July 2. There is value in being able to know on the draft floor that the SB is off the books and off the cap. But this very basic point has been dodged for so long now that it’s probably completely detached from the overall concept it was attached to :rolleyes:

You realize signing bonuses don't count against the cap right? The Leafs are not worried about the dollar amount of the signing bonus. They can wait until July 2nd because another team has to pay less actual cash in the trade which may be appealing - it has nothing to do with the cap hit.

If you know that a team will take a player after you pay the signing bonus, you make the trade on the draft floor. If you don't think you can trade the player afterwards, you don't. You can either afford to or not, the signing bonus has no implications on the cap hit or trade.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You realize signing bonuses don't count against the cap right? The Leafs are not worried about the dollar amount of the signing bonus. They can wait until July 2nd because another team has to pay less actual cash in the trade which may be appealing - it has nothing to do with the cap hit.

The team receiving the player cares about the cash though.

If you know that a team will take a player after you pay the signing bonus, you make the trade on the draft floor. If you don't think you can trade the player afterwards, you don't. You can either afford to or not, the signing bonus has no implications on the cap hit or trade.

You can’t trade a player on the draft floor and also pay their SB on July 1. This is the whole point of what I was saying is there would be trades that you could make if that was possible that you otherwise couldn’t if you couldn’t agree to pay a SB in the future for a player that is no longer on your roster. Otherwise you have to wait until after July 1 to make a trade that may no longer be available. Therefore just shrugging off the time between mid June and July 1 as just some technicality and allowing teams to agree to trade then pay the SB later is probably not something the league would do.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The team receiving the player cares about the cash though.

You can’t trade a player on the draft floor and also pay their SB on July 1. This is the whole point of what I was saying is there would be trades that you could make if that was possible that you otherwise couldn’t if you couldn’t agree to pay a SB in the future for a player that is no longer on your roster. Otherwise you have to wait until after July 1 to make a trade that may no longer be available. Therefore just shrugging off the time between mid June and July 1 as just some technicality and allowing teams to agree to trade then pay the SB later is probably not something the league would do.

I never suggested trading the same player. I say make the trade on the draft floor and then trade the SB player on July 2nd. What’s the issue?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Enlighten me please.

What?? You said to make a trade on the draft floor, then trade a SB player on July 2. But we were having a discussion about trading a SB player on the draft floor. You enlighten me about what trade is being made on the draft floor that isn't the SB player in question. You're making no sense.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
What do you think it would cost Toronto to get a team to buy him out? A 2nd or Bracco? Ottawa should do it after July 1. Or before July 1, for all I care. I'd throw in pick 44 if Bracco was involved, he's worth a high 2nd and is developed, adding Marleau probably lowers his value to around 44.

LOL. GMs realize they have loads of leverage here. Can't see the Senators adding the 44th overall. If they add a pick, its going to be a real late pick imho.

Leafs would probably do that.

Sure, but its an unrealistic scenario to begin with.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad