Sportsnet: Marleau only wants to play in SJ, will require direct trade or trade to team who buys him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I did not know that and def changes things lol

Well, there is a second buyout window in August I think, but only if you take a player to arbitration. I think that’s the rule anyway. If Marleau is bought out by a team other than Toronto, it would likely end up being before July 1.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
it is if you take what kyper says as gospel, I definitely do not.

It makes zero sense, why would we attach Kapanen to Marleau, when we'd be trading Marleau to make space for..... Kapanen.

Yeah, if that's the case it'd be much more intelligent to trade Kapanen for assets and let Marleau finish out his last year.
I am not stressed about this in the least.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
tenor.gif

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You can’t buyout a player after July 1st. The window is from now(June 15th actually) to June 30th. Any team acquiring Marleau is on the hook for the $3M bonus which is why Toronto isn’t getting out of this easy.
That sucks, would it be worth it to leafs to retain some due to the bonus or does that just defeat the purpose?

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
I can't wait till the Leafs fan base turns on Marner just like they did on Nylander. Or do hometown boys only get love around here?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
If we’re to believe these reports, letting Marleau finish out his last year is not an option.

Having said that, I don’t believe Kypreos here but I do believe that the Leafs can’t keep Marleau.

It a hypothetical to make a point.

Your last sentence makes it seem like you agree with me though, so that's good.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm not right about what? Can't mutually terminate a multi year 35+ contract?

I’m pretty sure you can. Difference between Marleau and Plekanec(1 year), is that plekanec’s cap hit no longer applied to Montreal. It got wiped clean. Marleau’s wouldn’t on whatever team he’d theoretically be traded to.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
This actually lines up more with what I originally heard, though I wasn't surprised to hear of interest in any team out west just to be A) closer to home and B) be as far away from Babcock as possible. I've never interacted directly with Patty, but from what I heard he really dislikes that guy after being there for a few seasons.

That said, if this is indeed all true and he JUST wants to come back to SJ, it contradicts what I also heard about his sentiment towards DW when he left. (he felt a bit wronged by him, similar what Pavs MAYBE ;) is feeling.)

Marleau and Commodore should get together and host a podcast where they trash Babcock.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
My proposal would be:

To Toronto: Ben Harpur, Mike Condon and pick 44 in the 2019 draft.

To Ottawa: Patrick Marleau, Kasperi Kapanen and pick 84 in the 2019 draft

The Leafs can buy Condon out which only puts a cap hit of 400k on their books this year and 1.0M next season. Harpur can be buried with no cap impact. They also upgrade a draft pick.

The Senators neutralize the Marleau portion of the trade [3.8M in/3.8M out], get a quality young forward and move down a bit in the draft.

Somewhat similar to the Bickell/Teravainen trade the Canes made a few years back.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
San Jose can't help Toronto, they don't have the cap space.

San Jose is a non-factor here.

Disregard Marleau completely. He's not Patrick Marleau. He is 6.25 million of cap space for the Leafs. The question the Leafs need to answer is, does paying the cost associated with re-acquiring that 6.25 million of cap space make us a better team.

If the cost is Kapanen, they are really acquiring about 10-11 million of cap space because they won't have to pay Kapanen since he won't be on their team anymore.

What is more advantageous for them?

11 million of cap space to allocate to Marner, Gardiner, Johnsson etc.

Or having Marleau and Kapanen on their roster but having to trade other pieces that might be any combination of Marner, Gardiner, Johnsson, etc.
the whole point of moving Marleau is to be able to sign A.J and K.K. We can move Brown and have enough to sign Marner and 1 of the 2 so if it is going to cost us K.K to move Marleau, why not just keep Marleau and move K.K?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
My proposal would be:

To Toronto: Ben Harpur, Mike Condon and pick 44 in the 2019 draft.

To Ottawa: Patrick Marleau, Kasperi Kapanen and pick 84 in the 2019 draft

The Leafs can buy Condon out which only puts a cap hit of 400k on their books this year and 1.0M next season. Harpur can be buried with no cap impact. They also upgrade a draft pick.

The Senators neutralize the Marleau portion of the trade [3.8M in/3.8M out], get a quality young forward and move down a bit in the draft.

Somewhat similar to the Bickell/Teravainen trade the Canes made a few years back.
If KK is needed to move Marleau then no point moving him. We would then just trade KK at full value

Mar 12, 2009
Things got a little more interesting now. Alot of fans were gloating saying Dubas is the GOAT when Marleau apparently said he will waive to go to a bunch of West teams.
The definition of "a lot" used by people who say things like this, does not seem to reflect what "a lot" generally means...people gloating that Dubas is GOAT is news to me, the biggest and loudest portion of the Leafs fan base hates Dubas, and has since at least last summer for various reasons.

Reactions: TML1990

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
He listed his house for sale, i have a feeling there is a deal in place post July 1st.

Ehh, I wouldn't necessarily count on a deal already being in place, but who knows. His wife and kids have for sure moved back here (or are doing so) and he will retire here, so no point in keeping a large house even if he spends the final year there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad