Sportsnet: Marleau only wants to play in SJ, will require direct trade or trade to team who buys him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
fits with my call of
Staal at half for Marleau at full pop.
Staal becomes very cheap to buy this yr, for some reason

we have a logjam at LD and I want to give him a good home

Marleau, had envisioned as 2RW on a line w/Kreider and Nieves, but if his heart is set on SJ, we can promise to flip him to sharks for a conditional 7th and settle for cap space.
If SJ wants us to eat half for his expiring contract, we can do that, and the cost with these #s would be swapping a future 2nd for a future 3rd.

Deal?

We'd eat 50%. The problem is SJS can't even afford that.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So now Kipper is a legit source?

Ok.

He is legit as can be when he is saying what a fan base wants to hear.

He's a weasel when he's dropping bombs like this.

It makes perfect sense. It was hugely surprising when there were rumors that Marleau would waive to go out West. This trade is complicated to make because a team buying out Marleau is on the hook for his bonuses. There's no way for the Leafs to pay the bonuses if another team is going to buy him out. Leafs are basically asking teams to take almost 4 million in dead cash. That requires a premium asset.

Most of these cap dumps that get traded are superficial cap hits with very little cash owed.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Deku

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
San Jose can't afford Marleau even at $3.125M. They'd have interest in him at the league minimum. Leafs need to trade him to somebody who will buy him out if they actually want to make this happen.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If Marleau really wants to be back in San Jose, I wonder if he’d be willing to accept a mutual contract termination.
Isnt that leavin a nice chunk of money on the table... why help toronto? They havnt exactly done much for him... kinda a mess

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What do you think it would cost Toronto to get a team to buy him out? A 2nd or Bracco? Ottawa should do it after July 1. Or before July 1, for all I care. I'd throw in pick 44 if Bracco was involved, he's worth a high 2nd and is developed, adding Marleau probably lowers his value to around 44.

$3.83m to buyout Marleau. If you factor in the roster replacement player then the cost goes to $4.6m+.

I can’t speak for GM’s out there, but I’d want a lot more then a 2nd or Bracco to burn that much cash.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What do we need in our bottom 6? Speed, size, pk ability. Two years ago, Patty had all three of those things in spades. We don’t need 20 goals out of him, but if he can be adequate on a third line (maybe w/Jumbo and Labanc/Sorensen), while playing on the PK. That’d be a huge win.

2 years ago he was pretty good but this past season he slowed down quite a bit. But i guess if he gets bought out and signs an absurdly cheap deal, that should be ok

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He is legit as can be when he is saying what a fan base wants to hear.

He's a weasel when he's dropping bombs like this.

It makes perfect sense. It was hugely surprising when there were rumors that Marleau would waive to go out West. This trade is complicated to make because a team buying out Marleau is on the hook for his bonuses. There's no way for the Leafs to pay the bonuses if another team is going to buy him out. Leafs are basically asking teams to take almost 4 million in dead cash. That requires a premium asset.

Most of these cap dumps that get traded are superficial cap hits with very little cash owed.
Works both ways....Kipper is legit now...but if it's positive news about the Leafs, he's a doofus.

To put this into perspective....this is the same guy that said the Leafs were going to trade Marner as Babcock had no faith in him as a player.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Is it correct that the buyout will cost the acquiring team a $6.2 million hit on the cap?

That’s a big ask
332E5C87-2D0E-482D-A580-05C1CC3B1952.jpeg

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If Marleau really wants to be back in San Jose, I wonder if he’d be willing to accept a mutual contract termination.

A) termination doesn’t remove Marleau’s cap hit.

B) if Marleau goes for termination he’s not getting any of his 2019-20 signing bonus money, and might even be forced to repay a million or two of the signing bonus money he’s already collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille