Sportsnet: Marleau only wants to play in SJ, will require direct trade or trade to team who buys him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Isnt that leavin a nice chunk of money on the table... why help toronto? They havnt exactly done much for him... kinda a mess

You can’t have it both ways. If you want out and want to go to San Jose that bad, and a contract termination was the only way to do that... then you gotta do what you gotta do. Otherwise, leave your family in San Jose, and come back to Toronto!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You can’t have it both ways. If you want out and want to go to San Jose that bad, and a contract termination was the only way to do that... then you gotta do what you gotta do. Otherwise, leave your family in San Jose, and come back to Toronto!
I think toronto wants him gone more than he wants to leave... that 6.25 cap hit is a big need for toronro.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If the Twitter source is just transcribing what a legitimate source has said, there should be a link to the audio clip, otherwise it shouldn't be deemed acceptable to post, no ?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
What about a 3 way trade, Marleau to SJ, Assets from Leafs to a third team, Third team covers 50% of the Marleau contract for the year.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So Marleau w Brown to Colorado for a 7th

Sharks payback him the minimum

I don't think Brown will be enough.

The Bickell trade referenced was Teravainen for a late 2nd and 3rd because CAR took Bickell. Bickell was owed similar cash to what it will cost a team to buyout Marleau.

Teravainen (at the time) and Kapanen (now) are pretty comparable in value.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I thought they could. The full cap hit would just go against your team.

The Leafs can buy him out and they'll still be stuck with his full cap hit but they cannot mutually agree to terminate his 35+ multi year contract. When the Habs and Plekanec agreed to terminate it was because Pleks only signed a 1 year 35+ contract which you can mutually agree to terminate but not a multi year 35+ contract.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Is it correct that the buyout will cost the acquiring team a $6.2 million hit on the cap?

That’s a big ask

Datsyuk was 7.5 mill. He didn't cost any salary, but we could easily take back some salary, and the buyout salary is not ridiculous (it's like 833k).

Even if this was true, I don't think the Leafs trade Kapanen. The one thing that the Leafs have on their side with Marleau is that he doesn't cost a lot of salary, even if he's bought out, whereas Bickell was 4.5 mill in salary... That's quite pricey for teams to take on, even if they are not total budget (which Carolina was at the time). 833k over two years is nothing, especially if the Leafs are willing to take back a contract which is likely costs more salary (i.e. a buriable one-way contract or something like that).

I think it could cost Bracco, but we may still get something decent back in return. It's pricey, but if the Leafs are keeping Nylander and Marner anyways, then Bracco doesn't have a spot on the team anyways. There was an Ottawa offer, where it was Marleau + Bracco for 44. That is the kind of deal I'd expect, with the Leafs maybe taking on Clarke MacArthur's insurance premiums as a small salary kicker.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Being completely honest I thought he wa more reasonable in the sense that I thought he wouldn’t mind being a quick flight away like la etc but this surprises me. Sucks for us leaf fans but what it sounds like is we will just keep him unfortunately and he probably won’t even play. Leafs aren’t going to cough up anything worth while for a 1 year cap dump or he will be packaged with a aj/kappy type for a D. Either way bummy news even though I think kyper is probably one of the dumbest people I’ve ever listened to.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The Leafs can buy him out and they'll still be stuck with his full cap hit but they cannot mutually agree to terminate his 35+ multi year contract. When the Habs and Plekanec agreed to terminate it was because Pleks only signed a 1 year 35+ contract which you can mutually agree to terminate but not a multi year 35+ contract.

Source? Cause I really don’t think you’re right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille