Recalled/Assigned: Markus Granlund Recalled

Aug 3, 2010
The Calgary Flames announced today that they have assigned centre Markus Granlund to the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League.

A real pity they didn't even give him a single game. He did get a New Year's bonus in monetary terms though.

Maybe Hartley didn't like what he saw in practice. :whatever:
Maybe we should learn to let go of old, repetitive comments for the new year.

He'll get his chance. I'd rather slow but successful prospect development a la Red Wings than "rush them into a top-6 role" a la Oilers. Prospects get called up from farm teams without playing a game on the big club before being sent down all the time in every organization. The only difference between Granlund and say, Kolanos being called up, is the notability in their last names. Yes, Granlund has potential but I don't want to see his development stunted and he's a bit on the small side as well - if he develops into a Hudler-type player, I think that'd be fantastic. He could be one of Burke's "skill players surrounded by beef."

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Maybe we shold learn to let go of old, repetitive jokes for the new year.

He'll get his chance. I'd rather slow but successful prospect development a la Red Wings than "rush them into a top-6 role" a la Oilers. Prospects get called up from farm teams without playing a game on the big club before being sent down all the time in every organization. The only difference between Granlund and say, Kolanos being called up, is the notability in their last names.

Wasn't suggesting the Flames throw Granlund to the wolves, rather I just wanted to see how he looked in the NHL.

No question, it's better for his development if he spends the entire year and at least a good portion of next year in Abbottsford as he acclimates to the North American game.

The problem with replicating the Wings model is that while they over ripen their prospects, at the end of the day, they still give everyone of them a chance in the NHL, even if they regress in the AHL. That kind of mentality is very hard to achieve in most organizations. Consider Nemsiz; he toiled in the AHL for four seasons but was promptly traded the moment his stats declined. The Wings would have most likely given him some sort of extended opportunity in the NHL before moving on.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Wasn't suggesting the Flames throw Granlund to the wolves, rather I just wanted to see how he looked in the NHL.

No question, it's better for his development if he spends the entire year and at least a good portion of next year in Abbottsford as he acclimates to the North American game.

The problem with replicating the Wings model is that while they over ripen their prospects, at the end of the day, they still give everyone of them a chance in the NHL, even if they regress in the AHL. That kind of mentality is very hard to achieve in most organizations. Consider Nemsiz; he toiled in the AHL for four seasons but was promptly traded the moment his stats declined. The Wings would have most likely given him some sort of extended opportunity in the NHL before moving on.

Yeah. Besides, these guys are continually told by Ward that by playing a certain way, they'll earn their chance at the NHL. So when they get shut down like that, they take it as a personal loss. Very slippery slope

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I hope he gets a game here soon. He should be playing on the Heat this season, but getting a taste of the NHL would be good for him to.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Didn't sound like Stemps would be gone that long though, and I doubt Granlund would be filling in on the 4th. Hopefully this is because Burkie has a deal completed.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, I don't think this is earth-shattering news. Just a few guys away and we need to fill out our roster for both practice and games.

Hey, quit being rational at a time like this!

So now that a big trade is obviously in the works, who thinks this has something to do with the Zetterberg injury?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Didn't sound like Stemps would be gone that long though, and I doubt Granlund would be filling in on the 4th. Hopefully this is because Burkie has a deal completed.

Yeah...maybe if Stemps is out for a bit this makes sense but I don't see us calling up Granlund to fill in for a guy like Gratz when we have Lane McDermid et all. waiting to come up.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Hope he gets into a game. Would be awesome if he stays up at least long enough to play his brother on the 3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad