markov, who else?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Right, that's the guy.

Not a reflection on Eller and under normal circumstances I wouldn't suggest dealing him. But if we're not going to use him properly and his coach doesn't like him?

Better to just get it over with.

If Therrien is willing to try then sure. If not... deal him now.

Where have we heard this train of thought before.

SK, AK, Laps, Lat, Grabs, O'byrne, and on and on. No reason to move Eller, even if what you say is true that MT is not particularly high on the kid, which Ive never heard him say btw. Patches is out for 3+ weeks, MT moved him in as his direct replacement and he'll get an audition. Eller has to run with it. I thought he had an ok game tonight too.

I got a feeling if he were a blue still, he'd be a center piece on a damn good team, why in Montreal does it have to be a graveyard for young, developing players? The guy is 23 years old and has at least shown he is a very capable NHLer. Trading him now makes no sense and goes directly against your rebuild philosophy. Pick a position and stick to it already.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Markov should have 4g 2a btw, he clearly got an assist on the white goal, but for some strange reason it wasn't recorded. Maybe the scorekeepers think Markov is in the KHL still and haven't adapted to NHL scorekeeping;)

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
2 things are still bugging me. Bourque and Cole haven't scored yet. We're getting most of our goals from our bottom 6 and from our defense, which can't be sustainable if our top 6 don't start producing.

The fact that were winning while these guys don't score is a positive, it's something we struggled to do before. That's how good teams are made, when the top players have off nights, the depth guys step up.

Hard to judge this team, on paper we don't look like an upper tier team, but there puck movement from the back end is pretty awesome so far, in the postlockouts NHL, puck movement from dman is the most valuable commodity, if and when we get Subban back and Markov stays healthy, we'll have one of the better d's in the East.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
In terms of Cole and Bourque not scoring, it takes Cole a little while to get going but when he does, we know how he scores. Bourque is an inconsistent scorer and his hard work will eventually pay off in bunches. He'll likely line up a bunch of two goal games before cooling off.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Where have we heard this train of thought before.

SK, AK, Laps, Lat, Grabs, O'byrne, and on and on. No reason to move Eller, even if what you say is true that MT is not particularly high on the kid, which Ive never heard him say btw. Patches is out for 3+ weeks, MT moved him in as his direct replacement and he'll get an audition. Eller has to run with it. I thought he had an ok game tonight too.

I got a feeling if he were a blue still, he'd be a center piece on a damn good team, why in Montreal does it have to be a graveyard for young, developing players? The guy is 23 years old and has at least shown he is a very capable NHLer. Trading him now makes no sense and goes directly against your rebuild philosophy. Pick a position and stick to it already.

MT didnt mind using Eller in OT, the guy you're quoting is wrong.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
why in Montreal does it have to be a graveyard for young, developing players?

Yeah cause Chuckie & Gally are spinning in their graves.

Eller is a decent player but listening to some of the griping in this thread you'd figure it's Crosby not getting a shot.

First it was wawawa Eller has no wingers. Tonight he was placed with last year's top line and you still hear whining. He's not playing in his position. In a couple of games Therrien will place him at center and what will the excuses be then? Wawawa nobody helped him shoot the puck towards the net.

When the trade with the Blues was made Pierre McGuire pointed out that Eller is not the player Habs fans wish he is. Look at his pedigree. He was never a goalscorer nor a big points getter. He can be a top notch 3rd line centerman if he dials in some intensity. All the posters who claim he is a 1st or 2nd line centerman are in for a world of hurt.

I guess this is as good a time as any to bring out the slogan:

NO EFFING EXCUSES!!!

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I've been saying the entire lockout that our own fanbase and critics were underestimating our defense. I wouldn't say best in the east but it's definitely in top 8. I could understand the skepticism with Markov though I just always believed in him

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
I've been saying the entire lockout that our own fanbase and critics were underestimating our defense. I wouldn't say best in the east but it's definitely in top 8. I could understand the skepticism with Markov though I just always believed in him

Markov IS our D, real talk.
Without him, I doubt Diaz would have emerged like that.
I pray to god that his knee holds, because we know how terrible our D is without him. At least until/if Beaulieu and Tinordi reaches their full potential.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
wow, the speech sure has changed in a week.
A week ago, even we were laughing at our own D corp lol lol

I don't think anybody was laughing at it other than te usual over emotional fans that have a clouded judgment. I think it was more of a question mark.
Nobody knew in what shape Markov was, or if he's really healthy and resistant. Still a question mark, only 4 games played.
Emelin and Diaz were rookies, tough to predict their impact too. So far so good.
No PK+ 3 big question marks. People had no idea what to expect.

It's still just 4 games in. We'd still be in exhibition mode now.
But with the way Diaz-Gorges-Markov-Emelin have been playing lately, adding PK would really solidify us.
I think we need him ASAP though, Otherwise our group will tire out quickly IMO.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He's injured.

Don't think so. DeBoer just does not trust him. Imagine if we are healthy scratching Galchenyuk a year from now, it's basically the equivalent...

Markov should have 4g 2a btw, he clearly got an assist on the white goal, but for some strange reason it wasn't recorded. Maybe the scorekeepers think Markov is in the KHL still and haven't adapted to NHL scorekeeping;)

Moen tipped it.

You can hear the tip on the original sequence and then you can see it on the last replay.

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
Sweet pic @BGALLY17 .. Maybe we shoulda had @AGally94 in there too since he set us both up! pic.twitter.com/n9Aj8gNt

Last edited:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
One guy who is really starting to impress me is Emelin. You don't see the huge open-ice hits anymore, but man does he finish his checks. Always solid, always clean, but hard. Reminds me of Craig Ludwig a bit in that sense. He's also rarely if ever out of position now. Last year he was chasing a bit, I haven't seen it once yet.

That and he is gaining confidence with the puck. He's a lot more patient. Just the way he's carrying himself out there and logging those big minutes. Looks a lot more involved. Really nice to see his game being refined like that. He just keeps getting better.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
One guy who is really starting to impress me is Emelin. You don't see the huge open-ice hits anymore, but man does he finish his checks. Always solid, always clean, but hard. Reminds me of Craig Ludwig a bit in that sense. He's also rarely if ever out of position now. Last year he was chasing a bit, I haven't seen it once yet.

That and he is gaining confidence with the puck. He's a lot more patient. Just the way he's carrying himself out there and logging those big minutes. Looks a lot more involved. Really nice to see his game being refined like that. He just keeps getting better.

Yeah, really good start to the season by Emelin. He played 27 mins last night, very impressive. Being paired with Markov has done wonders for him.

Last night he almost setup Cole on a cross ice pass after faking two defenders out the play, you are right, he is gaining more confidence.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, really good start to the season by Emelin. He played 27 mins last night, very impressive. Being paired with Markov has done wonders for him.

Last night he almost setup Cole on a cross ice pass after faking two defenders out the play, you are right, he is gaining more confidence.

Yeah I noticed that. He got a few seconds of PP time too last night. I think he could be good on the PP.

Leads the team in hits with 20, next closest is 10.

Speaking of hits. Fank the tank Bouillon with a beauty textbook hit on the half boards there in the first I think it was. He's been really solid too.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Yeah I noticed that. He got a few seconds of PP time too last night. I think he could be good on the PP.

Leads the team in hits with 20, next closest is 10.

Speaking of hits. Fank the tank Bouillon with a beauty textbook hit on the half boards there in the first I think it was. He's been really solid too.

Bouillon can be really effective if he is playing his proper role .. which isn't 20 mins a game. When PK comes back Cube can go back to 15-17 mins a game, and little or no PP time and he won't have to play with Kaberle or Weber.

His role is 3rd pairing D-man, 2nd pairing on the PK, etc..

So far he has been really really solid, exactly what I expected frankly.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Bouillon can be really effective if he is playing his proper role .. which isn't 20 mins a game. When PK comes back Cube can go back to 15-17 mins a game, and little or no PP time and he won't have to play with Kaberle or Weber.

I agree.

I forget the guy is 37 sometimes the way he moves out there and how physical he plays. I'd like to see his icetime reduced a bit as well just to make sure he's around and healthy late in the season and hopefully in the playoffs.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Boullion has been pretty awful on the PK, but he has been solid 5 on 5, made some good saves. Once Subban is back he should do a good job in a more limited role.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It's nice to see an aggressive team, on the forecheck and on the body in general.

The only blemish was Weber, still nervous, out muscled and ineffective.

More than one game is needed on D to show if he has progressed, but I doubt there is anything there that we have not seen before.

Full disclosure, I am not a believer in Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad