Marko Dano

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I will say, Dano had improved a lot since I made my first post in this thread. He's a lot more confident with the puck. He takes it to the net well and is always going forward.

Now if he'll just stop letting penalties take him out of the pay

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I admit I am not sure of what Dano's ceiling is at this point. But I do know I like what I see. I am becoming convinced that if I had two Danos playing wings, centered by a competent aggressive center, I would have a strong third line for next year

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I admit I am not sure of what Dano's ceiling is at this point. But I do know I like what I see. I am becoming convinced that if I had two Danos playing wings, centered by a competent aggressive center, I would have a strong third line for next year

I think like others said Brad Marchand is a really good comparison. Grity, not afraid to get dirty, good hands and skating. And knows how to put the puck in the net. Really think he and Rychel will be the perfect complimentary wingers for Johansen or Wennberg. Johansen early in his development (and even still) has a tendency to look to pass first when really he should shoot, like Wennberg. Whereas players like Dano, Jenner and Foligno shoot every chance they get. Hopefully Rychel fits into that mold as well.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This off season should be pretty big for Dano. Hartnell was always the joke for "man down" but Dano puts him to shame right now. There are times he is strong on the puck and much more time he is sitting on the ice. I really like him as a player but he needs to get some hockey strength for the NHL game. This year should show him what he needs to do and given what we've heard about him I suspect he'll hit the offseason hard and be ready to earn a spot next year.

Appears to have the speed, skill and willingness to play a 2-way game. Also has a hell of a wrist shot. Given a little time he looks like a good one. Seems like a 2nd line guy that could be a 20+ goal scorer. Pretty exciting. The goal the other night off the feed from Wennberg (which was a very nice play off the wall) was a laser.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This off season should be pretty big for Dano. Hartnell was always the joke for "man down" but Dano puts him to shame right now. There are times he is strong on the puck and much more time he is sitting on the ice. I really like him as a player but he needs to get some hockey strength for the NHL game. This year should show him what he needs to do and given what we've heard about him I suspect he'll hit the offseason hard and be ready to earn a spot next year.

Appears to have the speed, skill and willingness to play a 2-way game. Also has a hell of a wrist shot. Given a little time he looks like a good one. Seems like a 2nd line guy that could be a 20+ goal scorer. Pretty exciting. The goal the other night off the feed from Wennberg (which was a very nice play off the wall) was a laser.

If i remember correctly he was the first one in town last offseason by 2 or 3 weeks for the prospects camp so he could get accustomed to the training staff and the city and to make sure he was ready and acclimated. Hopefully that dedication and hard work continues into this offseason and can rub off on some of the other young ones in the system.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think we can all agree that based upon what we are seeing out of Dano, his is a name that could be penciled in on the second or third line for next year. Note I sajd "could" not "would".

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

i think part of that is Marko has a bit of diver in him. Tries to get all the calls.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
i think part of that is Marko has a bit of diver in him. Tries to get all the calls.

I think he is trying to draw penalties but more it just ends up taking him out of the play. I'm chalking it up to league adjustment

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I like the game the kid has. Build the roster right and let him fill in for injuries and get some more seasoning time down in the A. He's shown flashes, but still a bit raw

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Shown flashes ?? Are you watching the games BJN ?? Dano is our best offensive player out there for the past 4-5 games. Yes, he needs some work IN THE NHL. This kid is way past the AHL now.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Shown flashes ?? Are you watching the games BJN ?? Dano is our best offensive player out there for the past 4-5 games. Yes, he needs some work IN THE NHL. This kid is way past the AHL now.

I tend to agree with BJN on this. He's been good but not enough to be a top 9 forward for 82 games. I see him splitting time next year unless he has a great camp.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He has 4 goals in 16 games and you are going to send him back to the AHL? Are you kidding me? His pace puts him 4th in scoring on the team THIS YEAR.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I haven't read all of this, but Dano has earned a long look at a top nine roll for next season. He's been a revelation and is providing secondary scoring. He's seems ready to get a bigger roll. To send him down to the AHL between now and the end of the season would be a mistake. He'll be a great addition after that for the AHL playoffs.

We're going to have some tough decisions next season at the forward position. Everyone better bring their A-Game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He has 4 goals in 16 games and you are going to send him back to the AHL? Are you kidding me? His pace puts him 4th in scoring on the team THIS YEAR.

And didn't Filatov have a hat trick as a rookie? There have been innumerable flashes in the pan here that didn't quite pan out. I'm not saying I expect Dano to do that;I'm just not ready to anoint him as the savior RW we desperately need. We all talk about how great Detroit is with developing their young players. Do you think Dano is now more advanced than Nyquist or Tatar were a couple years ago. I'm going to guess he's not and that playing top line minutes in Springfield next year would do more for his development than being bounced around in HCTR's line-o-matic.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I haven't read all of this, but Dano has earned a long look at a top nine roll for next season. He's been a revelation and is providing secondary scoring. He's seems ready to get a bigger roll. To send him down to the AHL between now and the end of the season would be a mistake. He'll be a great addition after that for the AHL playoffs.

We're going to have some tough decisions next season at the forward position. Everyone better bring their A-Game.

I agree that sending him down now would be a mistake. I don't see that happening.

As for next year if Anisimov doesn't get traded here are the lines (or at least a reasonable guess)

Foligno-Joey-Hartnell
Jenner-Anisimov-Wennberg
Calvert-Dubi-Atkinson
???? - ????? - Clarkson
Boll

I guess Dano could slot in on the 4th or maybe the third but then you're back into the argument of minutes. If Arty goes, depending on the return Wennberg could move into his spot, opening up another spot.

Lots will depend on trades and camp. We'll see.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I agree that sending him down now would be a mistake. I don't see that happening.

As for next year if Anisimov doesn't get traded here are the lines (or at least a reasonable guess)

Foligno-Joey-Hartnell
Jenner-Anisimov-Wennberg
Calvert-Dubi-Atkinson
???? - ????? - Clarkson
Boll

I guess Dano could slot in on the 4th or maybe the third but then you're back into the argument of minutes. If Arty goes, depending on the return Wennberg could move into his spot, opening up another spot.

Those lines are the 100% healthy version of the CBJ. Even in a typical year, we are usually down 1-2 forwards at any given time.

I like Dano's physicality on the ice. He gives a nice Calvert like boost to the line he skates with and I think he has immediate 2nd/3rd line potential, depending on team health and the Anisimov contract. I woudn't want him back in the AHL, and I'll go so far as to say, he is more NHL ready the AW.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm going to guess he's not and that playing top line minutes in Springfield next year would do more for his development than being bounced around in HCTR's line-o-matic.

I woudn't want him back in the AHL, and I'll go so far as to say, he is more NHL ready the AW.

This last post is what I was going to respond with. I look at what Dano is missing and think he can get it best by playing in the NHL, while Wennberg needs more coaching and tinkering, and to develop scoring touch and positioning in NA rinks, all of which he can get best in the AHL.

It's great that Dano, the KHL dud, is much more of a small-rink player. He already has more NHL goals than he had KHL goals last year, in half as many games.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
The thing that I always think of when looking at Dano's production, especially with regard to him struggling to put up numbers in the KHL, is that he has been playing way above his age level forever.

2014-2015, Age 20: AHL/NHL
2013-2014, Age 19: KHL/AHL
2012-2013, Age 18: KHL
2011-2012, Age 17: Slovakia pros.
2010-2011, Age 16: Slovakia U20 / 9 games U18 (2ppg) / 8 games pro (1 pt 8 gms)
2009-2010, Age 15: Slovakia U18
2008-2009, Age 14: Slovakia U18

There is a reason that, at the draft, Jarmo said Dano was the most NHL ready prospect of our 2013 picks. (I believe it was in response to one of the 97.1 or Dispatch people asking if he was a bit of a project)

Anyway, I think we are finally starting to see someone who's body is catching up to his brain. I have no doubt that once he starts playing with people his age, he will be an impact player - he really hasn't had a chance to do that outside of the WJC.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Your standards have become pretty low EDM. He's played 20 games and has 7 points, nice story but he's still can use some development time. Im not saying send him down this season, let him get his feet wet, but lets have more experienced NHLers in the lineup and let these guys develop and fill in for injuries until fully ready. But then I know, thats not the CBJ way

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Your standards have become pretty low EDM. He's played 20 games and has 7 points, nice story but he's still can use some development time. Im not saying send him down this season, let him get his feet wet, but lets have more experienced NHLers in the lineup and let these guys develop and fill in for injuries until fully ready. But then I know, thats not the CBJ way

Are you saying the CBJ way should be to play Rene Bourque 16 minutes a game and send Marko Dano to Springfield?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I tend to agree with BJN on this. He's been good but not enough to be a top 9 forward for 82 games. I see him splitting time next year unless he has a great camp.

He's been really good the last month, been one of the best 6 forwards, easily.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Foligno-Joey-Hartnell
Jenner-Anisimov-Wennberg
Calvert-Dubi-Atkinson
???? - ????? - Clarkson
Boll

That makes me want to keep Letestu even more then i already do if thats possible. Dano-Letestu-Clarkson... that would be awesome. have 4 capable lines again vs overplaying Joey and Foligno all season

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think in most cases the best plan for young player is what we did with Nash. Play him on 3rd line with reliable vets beside him (don't stick him on a line with guys with limited skills) and let him play.
After Nash's rookie season he proved he was ready and the CBJ moved him up. It wasn't after 10 games or even 40 games but after a season.

Most other cases (especially early) we rushed guys or in some cases stuck them on the 4th line with very limited skills (and minutes available) around them.

I understand in some cases guys need to mature more (sometimes just get physically bigger, other times it's to learn how to play when you're not the biggest or fastest, and other times just no room for them, etc) but if you have the right player and right guys around them I'm all for letting a young guy play 15 minutes a night in the NHL rather than in AHL.

That has always been one of my biggest issues with CBJ is we seem so anxious to lock up 3rd-4th line players for multiple years, lots of times (like next season) we have too many 3rd/4th line forwards locked up and makes it tough to put the kids anywhere productive (either forcing them into top 6 or Springfield).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad