Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Is there any scenario where we aren't in trouble? Certainly re-signing Boro to play big mins isn't the difference between in trouble and clear waters.

Ideal world, we add a top 4 RHD and we could probably use a top 4 LHD too, but the reality is we are likely to be waiting for internal options to fill those holes. We might sign a Hainsey type, but i suspect if we do it will be a RD not a LD, so with Chabot, Wolanin, Brannstrom and Reilly all playing LD, i don't see a lot of room for Boro.
No, we will be getting caved this year again Boro or not, I’m perfectly fine not resigning Boro. Just getting tired of watching an AHL team with a couple NHLers sprinkled in.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Like it or not he contributes and brings heart to the team (only other player besides Brady at this point now that Pager is gone. It's funny how Boro ends up with the same amount of goals in the less games last year than our projected #1 Center going into the season, leads the D in goals and hits and almost shot blocking by one block. Other teams don't like playing against Boro. That being said yeah he's going to regress sooner than later with his game, but he is an asset on any team as a bottom pairing guy imo.

I don't disagree that he brings heart and toughness but that kind of thing is a luxury to a bottom feeder imo. We need to focus on player development and see which one of our young guys can be a part of the future and for that we need to give them playing time more than 3rd pairing presence from Boro. Boro is a #6 guy at best and if he wants anything more than a 2 year deal at $2 million, he won't be in the NHL much longer. Wolanin and Englund can't be worse than him and need playing time. Let's get the thank you montage for Boro ready and move on.

Reactions: Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There's no room for Boro.

You already have:

Chabot
Zaitsev
Zub
Rielly
Braanstrom
Wolanin
Englund

And you have these guys ready for callups:
Jaros
Lajoie

And you have these guys knocking at the door
JBD
Thompson
Maybe a first round pick from this year like Drysdale.

There's just no room to sign Boro to like a 3 year deal. Doesn't make sense. Unless we trade off other assets.

Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
There's no room for Boro.

You already have:

Chabot
Zaitsev
Zub
Rielly
Braanstrom
Wolanin
Englund

And you have these guys ready for callups:
Jaros
Lajoie

And you have these guys knocking at the door
JBD
Thompson
Maybe a first round pick from this year like Drysdale.

There's just no room to sign Boro to like a 3 year deal. Doesn't make sense. Unless we trade off other assets.

...and I think he knows that and is obviously unhappy about it. There is no room, and he is a good guy, no question, but thankfully our depth is improving and has made him replaceable. Would I like him as a 6-7? Only for another year, at most, but that is how this goes

Reactions: otown

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The Walmart version of Neil, lol. I remember watching Boro in the minors thinking there's no way he makes the NHL. But then he grew on me just cause he's such a great character. He's apparently good in the gym as they say :) But the signs arent looking promising for him here although there is still so much uncertainty going forward. The old rules of thumb are out the window.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Boroweicki is on the same level as Zaitsev and Rielly, IE bottom pairing defenceman at best. Englund isn’t an NHL caliber player and Zub is a wildcard.

The only top four D we'll have next year is Chabot. Brannstrom and Wolanin are the only two other players that could push to be a top 4 player next year.

Reactions: NB613

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
LOL. Only on a Eugene Melnyk team would the fate of a player like Boro even be up for debate. He's been a soldier of undeniable loyalty but success in the NHL relies on moving on from placeholders like Boro.

Great work ethic and unreal courage. Make him a player-coach in Belleville. Move on with better players on the NHL team and let Mark start transitioning to his new career as a coach.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boro feeling burned by ownership for no new contract - Boro did the video and stuck up for Poo Jeans when the billboards came out. Now he’s feeling burned, this is why you don’t keep snakes.

Boro learning a lesson fans learned a long time ago - there are no winners with Poo Jeans Melnyck. Even he doesn’t win, it’s just losing all the time for anyone close to him, and that’s why everyone wants out

Reactions: HzH

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I hated this guy's guts whenever he was on the ice during the Ceci era.

However, and I gotta admit, this guy brought a serious element to the game that made our entire defense different when he was playing last year. He was super steady and effective.

He had more points last year than almost past 3 seasons combined and was, for first time, an actual asset on the defensive end of things.

Normally, i'd still say peace out and thank you, bud. But do we really have anyone better?

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Jaros
Wolanin-Zub
Reilly?

I think we sign this guy for minimum and keep him on or we go out and trade Tiereny for Montour. That's a weak ass defense and with a lot of forward rookie prospects, we gonna need some sandpaper somewhere.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The perspective on Boro is amazing. A year ago the prevailing sentiment here would have been to fire him to the moon in a rocket launcher

He has a great year last year. Different style of D. Different ask from the coach. If anything I thought that Boro established that he can be more than he was under the Boucher system

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Boro deserves a lot of credit for understanding and providing what the coach is asking for. That's how you get icetime

Reactions: Sweatred

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Boro was fine last season and continued to progress his game. Our D is awful and our prospects aren't breaking down the door. Unless he's demanding too much i'd sign him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Boro was fine last season and continued to progress his game. Our D is awful and our prospects aren't breaking down the door. Unless he's demanding too much i'd sign him.

I think at this stage he is demanding “a lot”. I think the Sens are saying .... okay ,
go see if someone else wants to give you that. Maybe they reconnect at a lower starting point down the road.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think at this stage he is demanding “a lot”. I think the Sens are saying .... okay ,
go see if someone else wants to give you that. Maybe they reconnect at a lower starting point down the road.
If that's true and he's asking for way more than he's worth, then I'm fine with moving on from him.

To me, he's a bottom pairing sandpaper guy. He's good at that role and I'd be willing to pay him a very small premium over a typical journeyman #5-#6 salary on a 3-year deal. If he wants more money or term, there are better options.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
The perspective on Boro is amazing. A year ago the prevailing sentiment here would have been to fire him to the moon in a rocket launcher

He has a great year last year. Different style of D. Different ask from the coach. If anything I thought that Boro established that he can be more than he was under the Boucher system

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Boro deserves a lot of credit for understanding and providing what the coach is asking for. That's how you get icetime

Boro as an actual hockey player was always underwhelming to me. His fighting (although he was fearless) wasn't fear inducing. I was never a big fan as the Sens had better leaders and hard workers already on the team.

However, he's definitely improved his on ice play and with everyone else gone now, he's EXACTLY the type of player you need to show the kids the way. From all accounts, his work ethic and dedication are the reasons he even got a sniff at the NHL level. It's also not exactly like the Sens are overwhelmed with NHL caliber defenders or are even attempting to compete so why not keep him? If Pageau was still around then I would find him expendable though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I hated this guy's guts whenever he was on the ice during the Ceci era.

However, and I gotta admit, this guy brought a serious element to the game that made our entire defense different when he was playing last year. He was super steady and effective.

He had more points last year than almost past 3 seasons combined and was, for first time, an actual asset on the defensive end of things.

Normally, i'd still say peace out and thank you, bud. But do we really have anyone better?

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Jaros
Wolanin-Zub
Reilly?

I think we sign this guy for minimum and keep him on or we go out and trade Tiereny for Montour. That's a weak ass defense and with a lot of forward rookie prospects, we gonna need some sandpaper somewhere.

Make 2 switches
Wolainin on the 2nd pair
Reilly on the 3rd pair

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Careful everyone....always beware of the guy who has a career season in his contract year - especially if it's a UFA contract year.

Sign him to a contract, and we'll all be cursing him out by December. It's not worth it.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Make 2 switches
Wolainin on the 2nd pair
Reilly on the 3rd pair

Boro is a better dman than Wolanin. His 2019-2020 season is better than anything Wolanin showed two years ago and there isn't any reason to think CW has improved while not playing.... I don’t even like Boro but I would play Wolanin in my top 3-4.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just another example of how fickle fans are & how they simply don't understand the importance of players like Boro on a team on the ice & off. And the importance of glue players with the younger guys constantly talking to them about their game in real time to help them get better. For every shot he blocked it was potentially one less goal in the back of the net, unfortunately most could care less about a shot blocking defenceman.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Calling an old warhorse a glue guy can lead to confusion on where you are going with that :) It looks like he will get to test the ufa market. Maybe our offer will win in the end we'll see. I think another team will make an offer though.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Calling an old warhorse a glue guy can lead to confusion on where you are going with that :) It looks like he will get to test the ufa market. Maybe our offer will win in the end we'll see. I think another team will make an offer though.
I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a few offers in UFA.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Just another example of how fickle fans are & how they simply don't understand the importance of players like Boro on a team on the ice & off. And the importance of glue players with the younger guys constantly talking to them about their game in real time to help them get better. For every shot he blocked it was potentially one less goal in the back of the net, unfortunately most could care less about a shot blocking defenceman.

No kidding ... people throwing a bunch of middle aged players who’ve yet to crack anything beyond a couple of games a head of Boro. That’s how we got into trouble under Boucher when he promoted Jaros, White, and Lajoie before they were NHL ready.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad