Proposal: Mark Stone to Calgary

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Providing Treliving can talk to Stone's agent about what he wants to extend as I don't think we should just rent him. Providing they can figure out a deal Flames offer Kylington, Dube, Frolik, and their 2019 1st for Stone. Then at the draft ship Brodie out to recoup a 1st and cut cap. Bridge Tkachuk to make the money stretch.

Reactions: Solace2420

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Doesn't seem likely a sign and trade is coming. So not extended Stone.

Valimaki is off the table. No way both Kylington and Dube get traded.

1st + Frolik + Kylington/Dube

Any more than that and no thanks, try for him in the summer.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Providing Treliving can talk to Stone's agent about what he wants to extend as I don't think we should just rent him. Providing they can figure out a deal Flames offer Kylington, Dube, Frolik, and their 2019 1st for Stone. Then at the draft ship Brodie out to recoup a 1st and cut cap. Bridge Tkachuk to make the money stretch.

I see 1 valuable piece in that proposal and it's a meazily first round pick. Pass.

Reactions: TML1990

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Losing that many future roster pieces, from a team that’ll already be against the cap and wants to win a cup, doesn’t really make sense. This kind of deal would actually make a lot more sense for the Jets. Stone is from Winterpeg and they’re also legitimate contenders. If the Jets have question in Laine, they could potentially get the more proven asset, potentially cheaper, in a 1 for 1 deal, without sacrificing their depth. Stone is 6 years older but a far more compete player, the same position and in all honesty, probably gives them a better shot at the cup now.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Losing that many future roster pieces, from a team that’ll already be against the cap and wants to win a cup, doesn’t really make sense. This kind of deal would actually make a lot more sense for the Jets. Stone is from Winterpeg and they’re also legitimate contenders. If the Jets have question in Laine, they could potentially get the more proven asset, potentially cheaper, in a 1 for 1 deal, without sacrificing their depth. Stone is 6 years older but a far more compete player and in all honesty, probably gives them a better shot at the cup now.

Interesting.

But if the Senators won't spend 9m on Duchene how on earth can they afford Laine if he starts producing again?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Interesting.

But if the Senators won't spend 9m on Duchene how on earth can they afford Laine if he starts producing again?
Well, there’s a world of difference between paying a 29 year old Duchene, who’s about as far away from being the face of a franchise as you can get and paying Laine. He’s 20. You can market him, with Chabot and Tkachuk, as the face of the new Sens. I’m sure Jets fans won’t like it but it does actually make some sense. As good as Laine is, there’s still a lot of holes in his game. Like I said earlier, Stone provides similar production, while being much harder to play against. He probably fits better with the timeline for guys like Wheeler and Buff, but they definitely would sacrifice a whole lot of future.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Sweet, get less from someone else then. The fact you think there is one valuable piece there let's me know how crushed you are going to be in the actual return.

Hardly, I am very aware that Dorion will get trash for Stone, Duchene, and Dzingle: no return for any of them would phase me as it's clear Dorion is inept, controlled by Melnyk, not dealing from a position of strength, and needs to get roster players with reasonable salaries (~4M) back in the trades to hit the salary floor next year instead of getting picks and prospects like he should.

What Dorion WILL get and what the players are actually worth are two extraordinarily different things.

Stone is much much much more valuable than the players offered in the proposal though.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Not bad...

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
2 Issues

1. Frolik has a 10 team no trade list. Ottawa is highly likely to be on that list.

2. There will be a ton of teams vying for Stone - and not just true cup contenders, any team that is playoff bound that thinks they can extend him will be putting a call in. Offering up a "this is what I feel like paying" offer won't get it done. This offer feels like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad