Mark Stone signs for $7.35 for 1 year

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Oh neato another thread that's taken hostage and now a discussion about ownership. We didn't have enough of those before, thank god we got another one.

Oh look at who's the common denominator at these thread derailments.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Knowing the family personally, they will not come in with guns a blazing, they won't throw money around either. They are a hard working family who have accumulated an empire through hard work, massive sacrifices and determination. This will be their biggest one off investment, other than their business. So, money will come in, but frugal, smart money it is.

This sounds like the biggest slumlords in Ottawa - the Greenbergs.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Knowing the family personally, they will not come in with guns a blazing, they won't throw money around either. They are a hard working family who have accumulated an empire through hard work, massive sacrifices and determination. This will be their biggest one off investment, other than their business. So, money will come in, but frugal, smart money it is.

I am ok with this if it means smart and frugal money means spending towards scouts, management hirings, implementing some type of analytical department that avoids stupid trades like Burrows. And we use the money we have to retain our star players.

We aren't asking for owners to come in and splurge $100M contracts every July 1st. We just want to retain our own star players and an investment into the front office and scouting to find hidden cheap talent or help you avoid making costly mistakes in trades or signings.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Crazy theory so bare with me.

We know Alfie is directly involved with trying to get some form of ownership change.

Alfie is one of Karlsson's mentors.

Is it conceivable that Alfie convinced Karlsson (who then might have passed along the idea to Stone and maybe even Duchene) that threatening to leave as UFAs might actually help get an ownership change?

I mean as far as leverage goes, our best C, W and D are now in a very strong position to make demands of ownership.

Plus Karlsson and Alfie are strong proponents of the NHLPA so the theory sounds cool.

It's also possible that Melnyk has manufactured a situation where the 3 best assets could be gone by February as a means to pressure a potential buyer to up their offer before the team is irreparably harmed. (Emphasis on possible)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This sounds like the biggest slumlords in Ottawa - the Greenbergs.

We would know if the Greenbergs/Minto were involved in a team sale by the sudden and unexplained change to building codes at the Lebreton arena site that allowed the existing parking structure plan to be replaced with 400 townhomes (with no parking for those residents), and allowed the construction of a retirement residence on the roof of the arena (also without parking), and narrow all proposed roads at the development to one-lane alleyways to facilitate an extra row of townhomes (no tenant parking, naturally), and then somehow attempt to promote these changes as a boon to the community and charge a premium for them.

Oh, and any parkland at the build site are now townhomes.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I didn't like the Mark Stone interview - he was asked directly about his long term intentions in Ottawa and he said "he just wants to play hockey". Bey bey Mark Stone, another playoff warrior that slipped through Ottawa's hands.

Ottawa is at the point that everyone wants out - Melnyck wants to move the team, Stone, Brassard, Duchesne, EK want out, the scouts have all left, few legit coaches will touch this team, the fans are sick and tired of the BS, even the reporters seem burned out on Ottawa. This ownership group makes us all look bad from the star players who want out to the fans who are staying home to the coaches who have no support to the reporters who have been berated for repeating the words of a crazy person and his lackeys. It's just sad, players like Mark Stone should be cherished.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I didn't like the Mark Stone interview - he was asked directly about his long term intentions in Ottawa and he said "he just wants to play hockey". Bey bey Mark Stone, another playoff warrior that slipped through Ottawa's hands.

Ottawa is at the point that everyone wants out - Melnyck wants to move the team, Stone, Brassard, Duchesne, EK want out, the scouts have all left, few legit coaches will touch this team, the fans are sick and tired of the BS, even the reporters seem burned out on Ottawa. This ownership group makes us all look bad from the star players who want out to the fans who are staying home to the coaches who have no support to the reporters who have been berated for repeating the words of a crazy person and his lackeys. It's just sad, players like Mark Stone should be cherished.

With all due respect, that’s a whole lot of conclusion and a mighty big leap.

I didn’t get any of that at all. If anything, I just felt he didn’t really want to get into yet another speculated conversation. There was nothing there except regular interview chit chat.

Reactions: stagger00

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
“I am not selling the team – period. My kids (had) first call on the franchise long ago,” Melnyk said in an email sent to Postmedia.
For the last few weeks, rumours have swirled about a potential sale of the Senators, but Melnyk said the rumours were false.
“Let me set the record straight. I have no idea how a reporter fabricated a fiction about my selling the team,” Melnyk said. “These stories pop up out of nowhere probably from someone ‘hearing something.’”

https://www.tsn.ca/melnyk-i-am-not-selling-the-team-period-1.943357

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It's also possible that Melnyk has manufactured a situation where the 3 best assets could be gone by February as a means to pressure a potential buyer to up their offer before the team is irreparably harmed. (Emphasis on possible)

I don't think that's a possibility as the other party would then just wait until these 3 best assets are gone and the franchise would be worth a lot less. Also worth mentionning that without those 3 players the attendance and general revenues of the team would drop significantly and would make it harder for Melnyk to keep the team and still spend to the cap floorm

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I have a legit question.

Remember how with Karlsson, PD claimed that he couldn't negotiate anything until July 1, but other teams were reporting that they had deals in place ready to sign for July 1?
Is the January 1, 2019 date the same thing or can the team and player truly not negotiate until Jan. 1?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I have a legit question.

Remember how with Karlsson, PD claimed that he couldn't negotiate anything until July 1, but other teams were reporting that they had deals in place ready to sign for July 1?
Is the January 1, 2019 date the same thing or can the team and player truly not negotiate until Jan. 1?

They can negotiate before January 1, they just can't put pen to paper until then.

The NHL does not (and could not) outlaw from GMs sitting down with their players to chat about what they would want on their next contract.

Dorion would probably tell you otherwise though.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Great, Dorion will say the exact same thing he said about Karlsson:

"I think Mark Stone wants to be a Senator for life. If he's here on January 1st, we'll be making him a contract offer."

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad