Confirmed with Link: Mark Stone signs 3-year deal, $3.5mil cap hit

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
What does this mean?

There was some guy a couple guys ago saying Murray has been doing nothing but sitting on his ass when it comes to getting contacts done, and basically saying he hasn't been doing anything since the end of the season.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Perfect! Way better deal than I expected. :towel:

Need to bring back the Murray troll face with all these great (re)signings.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There was some guy a couple guys ago saying Murray has been doing nothing but sitting on his ass when it comes to getting contacts done, and basically saying he hasn't been doing anything since the end of the season.

Well in fairness, he has been fighting terminal cancer, so he has been a little busy. My guess is that Dorion takes care of most of the signings, trades etc... & BM mostly approves or doesn't whatever is being done. I'd be surprised if he wasn't already in mostly an advisory role.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Well in fairness, he has been fighting terminal cancer, so he has been a little busy. My guess is that Dorion takes care of most of the signings, trades etc... & BM mostly approves or doesn't whatever is being done. I'd be surprised if he wasn't already in mostly an advisory role.

I hear ya. But this guy was saying nobody was making any effort to get any of the RFA's signed.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hear ya. But this guy was saying nobody was making any effort to get any of the RFA's signed.

Agreed, if people paid attention from yr to yr they would notice that this is the time of the yr, right after the playoffs are done that most teams including Ottawa begin to re-sign their RFAs & get their budgets in order for the coming season. The draft, RFAs, development camp & July 1 UFA season is when most teams put together their rosters & organizations for the next season. August is arbitration time usually, September is the rookie tournament & preparation for main training camp. I guess some people are a little impatient but so far it seem the Sens are doing a great job, let's hope this continues through the draft & summer.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I was always a believer of Stone. Didn't expect him to be this good, though. He's gonna get better too...

BigBush*

Really like this deal. I would of been ok with a 8 year deal but this is just as good. Very fair cap hit

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Really like this deal. I would of been ok with a 8 year deal but this is just as good. Very fair cap hit

I liked an 8 year deal too. But this could be better.

3.5M x 3y + 7M x 5y = 45.5M
5.5M x 8y = 44M

Risk that he is injured or not awesome enough (Unlikely) if you go 8 years.

Some risk he is worth more then 7M in 3 years. If he is then we are golden because we have a straight up elite star.

I like all the 3 RFA contracts a lot!!! Beauty... Now sign Hoffman!

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
If they'd locked them up in March, the same people would have probably complained that we rushed into the contracts and could have gotten better value if we'd held out a bit. Some people just like to complain.

source

Jul 13, 2008

Mark Stone scored 26 goals last season, and every single one of them was important. Is this an early sign that Stone has the potential to be the next Alfredsson for us?

13 of his goals were scored when the game was tied.
6 were scored when we were down by 1 goal.
4 were scored when we were down by 2 goals.
3 were scored when we were up by 1 goal.

7 were scored in the first period.
5 were scored in the second period.
12 were scored in the third period.
2 were scored in OT.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

Mark Stone scored 26 goals last season, and every single one of them was important. Is this an early sign that Stone has the potential to be the next Alfredsson for us?

13 of his goals were scored when the game was tied.
6 were scored when we were down by 1 goal.
4 were scored when we were down by 2 goals.
3 were scored when we were up by 1 goal.

7 were scored in the first period.
5 were scored in the second period.
12 were scored in the third period.
2 were scored in OT.

By the end of the season I pretty much only cared if Stone and Karlsson were on the ice. I got excited every time. Shame he got hacked a bit too hard by PK.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Looks like Bryan Murray is back-loading all the extensions. He won't have to deal with those after this coming season. It's also understandable that he'd want to keep costs down this year since Phillips, Neil and Legwand will be gone after the season too so they will have a bit more to cover the increased cost of the RFAs they are signing now.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Looks like Bryan Murray is back-loading all the extensions. He won't have to deal with those after this coming season. It's also understandable that he'd want to keep costs down this year since Phillips, Neil and Legwand will be gone after the season too so they will have a bit more to cover the increased cost of the RFAs they are signing now.

That, and the salary cap generally goes up as well. Also, the expectation is that the young players will get better and will make more accordingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad