Confirmed with Link: Mark Stone (signed 8x~$9MM)/T. Lindberg for The Brannwagon, Oscar Lindberg, and a 2020 2nd

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So word on a official signing today?

Sorry, but I just want it done. We were told that it would be announced yesterday, but it wasn't.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So word on a official signing today?

Sorry, but I just want it done. We were told that it would be announced yesterday, but it wasn't.
Yesterday was the earliest it could get signed, did they say it was the day they'd announce it?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Think this is an amazing trade for Vegas. Stone would have been one of the best players to ever hit UFA, along with Panarin. I'd take either over Tavares. To get him extended for under $10M is downright larcenous.

I also don't think Brannstrom is going to be an elite defenseman. He has skills but I don't see him as becoming an elite scorer, and there's a good chance he'll have some issues on defense. There are guys his size who become great players like Spurgeon, but I don't think Brannstrom has the same hockey IQ, and sometimes looks tentative with the puck. He's 5-10 and plays smaller (honestly he looks more like 5-8 to me).

Stone is a great two-way player who plays in all situations and makes everyone better. Dominant possession player, best in the league at takeaways, ppg scorer. What's not to love?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Think this is an amazing trade for Vegas. Stone would have been one of the best players to ever hit UFA, along with Panarin. I'd take either over Tavares. To get him extended for under $10M is downright larcenous.

I also don't think Brannstrom is going to be an elite defenseman. He has skills but I don't see him as becoming an elite scorer, and there's a good chance he'll have some issues on defense. There are guys his size who become great players like Spurgeon, but I don't think Brannstrom has the same hockey IQ, and sometimes looks tentative with the puck. He's 5-10 and plays smaller (honestly he looks more like 5-8 to me).

Stone is a great two-way player who plays in all situations and makes everyone better. Dominant possession player, best in the league at takeaways, ppg scorer. What's not to love?

I don't love his skating. Of course, if he could skate like Carrier he would be making 12 million a year right now or more.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If Stone were a great skater he'd be an inner-circle Hall of Famer.

I think you'll see he doesn't get beat very often because of foot speed.

Reactions: derriko

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
If Stone were a great skater he'd be an inner-circle Hall of Famer.

I think you'll see he doesn't get beat very often because of foot speed.

No doubt. You're right about him being superior to Panarin. I'm sure that's why the Panthers reportedly offered a better package than Vegas for Stone. Panarin does not have over 100 more takeaways than the guy in 2nd place over the past 5 years.

Add a PPG to that and you became a player that you really can't calculate a proper value for. I think Stone becomes the first Captain in franchise history,

Reactions: derriko

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
Hey all. Lifelong Sens fan and a big fan of Mark Stone since his days in Junior (before he was drafted). I've watched his evolution closely and can tell you that he is a gem that will continue to improve. In Junior, his skating was a legit liability - he would lumber around the ice and dominated only because of his uncanny hockey sense and knowing where to be on the ice. He WORKED at his skating and quite literally busted his a** to get it to NHL caliber levels and he's had nothing but upward progression in his career since. The guy lives and breathes hockey (and golf...) which means he won't be like so many others who sit still once they get their big contract - he will continue to improve. He's also a leader on and off the ice and was instrumental at helping the development of the Sens younger players - who are all shelled now that he's gone.

I am also now a Knights fan. After the incompetence of the Sens GM and greed of their owner, I decided to follow my favorite player and watch a few of his games. I've been very impressed! The Knights up-tempo style is really entertaining and easy to get on board with. I'll continue to follow and might just start replacing some of the Sens paraphernalia in my man-cave with some Knights gear :)

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
Also, to get a flavor for what Stone really brings to the table, there were a lot of stats guys in Ottawa (Silver Seven) that broke down the intangibles that aren't necessarily measured in points or +/-. The theme throughout was that every single player that Stone played with elevated their play - and not just by a little. We are talking about significant increases in production to the point where a 4th line scrub like Zack Smith - who is lucky to hit the 10 goal mark for a season - put up 20 goals in half a season when paired with Stone. Those stats bare out for every player that he's paired with, as do the increases in scoring chances, offensive-zone control time, etc.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Hey all. Lifelong Sens fan and a big fan of Mark Stone since his days in Junior (before he was drafted). I've watched his evolution closely and can tell you that he is a gem that will continue to improve. In Junior, his skating was a legit liability - he would lumber around the ice and dominated only because of his uncanny hockey sense and knowing where to be on the ice. He WORKED at his skating and quite literally busted his a** to get it to NHL caliber levels and he's had nothing but upward progression in his career since. The guy lives and breathes hockey (and golf...) which means he won't be like so many others who sit still once they get their big contract - he will continue to improve. He's also a leader on and off the ice and was instrumental at helping the development of the Sens younger players - who are all shelled now that he's gone.

I am also now a Knights fan. After the incompetence of the Sens GM and greed of their owner, I decided to follow my favorite player and watch a few of his games. I've been very impressed! The Knights up-tempo style is really entertaining and easy to get on board with. I'll continue to follow and might just start replacing some of the Sens paraphernalia in my man-cave with some Knights gear :)

I noticed that Stone needed to come off the ice quicker than his line mates on multiple occasions when watching the Florida game. I’m guessing that’s a result of Vegas playing a different style than Ottawa?

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
I noticed that as well, and figured his ice time would be down, but, he actually had more ice time than all the other Vegas forwards in the last 2 games. So, I;m thinking maybe he's the firtst one on the ice among his linermates or something.
I noticed that Stone needed to come off the ice quicker than his line mates on multiple occasions when watching the Florida game. I’m guessing that’s a result of Vegas playing a different style than Ottawa?

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019

Shifts in Ottawa were quite a bit shorter - sometimes as short as 30-40 seconds. I've noticed that he's on the ice a lot longer than I'm used to seeing. It's a Coaching style but it's also something that he's going to have to get used to. He doesn't have a huge gas-tank and I can see him being a bit of a liability towards the end of some of those longer shifts. The one knock against Stone that I've always had is when his gas-tank does empty, he is next to useless in the defensive zone - although he still finds a way to get energy when producing offensively.

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019

Vegas also plays a much more up-tempo game. This is one of the reasons I really enjoyed watching them play. When I watch a Sens game, it resembles a chess match. When I watch the Knights, it's far more run-and-gun.

As for Stone, the one thing that's always stood out is that he knows where to be on the ice. Once he gets used to the speed, you'll start noticing him on the corner of your TV screen creeping into spots on the ice where he's uncovered and will have time and space to make plays. You'll be screaming at the TV at his line mates to get him the puck and when they do, he'll more often than not make a great play with it.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Vegas also plays a much more up-tempo game. This is one of the reasons I really enjoyed watching them play. When I watch a Sens game, it resembles a chess match. When I watch the Knights, it's far more run-and-gun.

As for Stone, the one thing that's always stood out is that he knows where to be on the ice. Once he gets used to the speed, you'll start noticing him on the corner of your TV screen creeping into spots on the ice where he's uncovered and will have time and space to make plays. You'll be screaming at the TV at his line mates to get him the puck and when they do, he'll more often than not make a great play with it.

Thanks for the knowledge. I really hope Stone can help our potential star RW Alex Tuch master the nuances of the position. We have them both locked up for a long time so they might as well lock that side of the ice down.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
What are the odds that Stone gets a letter next season? Does Vegas have it's captaincies all locked in, or is there potential Stone gets something?

I only ask because I want to get a jersey and I don't want it to be out of date by October. If there's potential he gets something, I'll wait before grabbing one.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Sinbin put out a video that talks about stuff like Haulas injury and Mark Stones contact. Says he doesn't really know what is going on about it, but is speculating that the hold up could be having a ntc put in.

Mcphee needs to get this contract done or else this trade will be on the same level as his Forsberg for Erat trade.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Sinbin put out a video that talks about stuff like Haulas injury and Mark Stones contact. Says he doesn't really know what is going on about it, but is speculating that the hold up could be having a ntc put in.

Mcphee needs to get this contract done or else this trade will be on the same level as his Forsberg for Erat trade.

Probably has something to do with the current trend of paying players in mostly bonus money.

I'm sure they're just hammering out the details. Foley was in the room on trade day when they were finalizing the deal.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
They can't sign him now due to tagging issues. What that means is they can't go over the current cap limit (79.5m) with next season's commitments. Next season they have 72m already on the books so they don't have the tagging space for anything more than a 7m AAV right now. So it looks like they'll have to wait until the offseason to sign him officially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad