Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
No but you could post in the player discussion as the mods always move this type of one offs there anyways. If they didn't we would have about 100 Laine threads going at once.
It is merged now...I sent a message to a mod to change it to something less “disrespectful” and he merged it, so all good.

Reactions: LowLefty

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
I said this in my original post:
“I know people will point to his place in the scoring race, his +/-, etc. but so many other parts of his game are sucking big time!”

I stand by it regardless of how many goals he scores. There is more to hockey than scoring goals. He is our # 1 Centre and he is not playing like it right now. Will he get back on his horse and start playing like it, yes no doubt he will! I still think he is earning the criticism he is getting on here with his play over the last month or so...I am not the only one who is saying it.

So he's in the top 20 players league-wide, is on track for a career year in points and +/-... and helping the team to the top of their division and 5th in the league.

What else should he be doing? Cleaning the ice during timeouts?

Seriously - what would you like to see more of?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I just think he’s been playing with Wheeler too long.

He's part of Blakie's club house where coaches aren't welcome: Blakie, Big Buffy, Li'l Bry and Sheifalfa. ;)

upload_2019-2-17_11-32-31.png

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
So he's in the top 20 players league-wide, is on track for a career year in points and +/-... and helping the team to the top of their division and 5th in the league.

What else should he be doing? Cleaning the ice during timeouts?

Seriously - what would you like to see more of?

Commonly accepted attributes of a #1 centre:
- elite production
- improves performance of linemates
- strong performance in faceoffs
- defensively responsible and not a liability outside the offensive zone

Do you think Scheifs has developed his game in all four of these areas enough to be considered a true #1 centre ?

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
- elite production

Do you think Scheifs has developed his game in all four of these areas enough to be considered a true #1 centre ?

- top 15 player
- linemate one spot back in top 15 list
- faceoffs are 46% - could be improved but is in line with other "greats" such as McDavid and Malkin
- current at a +16, and has 32 PIM, nothing to sneeze at

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
- elite production

what the f*** am i reading

Reactions: Derfel

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Hold on. HOLD ON.

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to compare 80's era production to modern day?

SERIOUSLY?

Ok then.

P.S. I see now that you are on Scheifele's side but making a comparison like this is really not helpful to any side of the argument.

IF we wanted to make a comparison we should use rankings amongst peers, and really we should wait until the career is over.

There is so much more of Mark Scheifele's career to be written but he is already amongst the very best centres in the league. The criticism of him is ludicrous.

Reactions: Derfel

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Hold on. HOLD ON.

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to compare 80's era production to modern day?

SERIOUSLY?

Ok then.

Oh, *I'm* not. The original thread that was merged in was titled something like "Scheifele - he's no Yzerman" or the like. I just looked it up and shared.

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
I think Mark and Blake might be on that lousy TB12 diet. I happen to at least partly eat that way; I’m a weakling. Those guys need a big ribeye washed down with a glass of scotch and a cup of coffee, as do I.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Best player on the Jets bar none!

Last edited by a moderator:

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele has never been defensively sound. He is usually the first to head up the ice with speed, but I actually prefer a centre that pushes the offense like he does.

I would take his style vs Littles overly defensive positioning all day

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Scheifele is my favourite player, the details in his game have left a little to be desired lately and the Jets need him to get back to playing at his usual level.

Is that allowed, or does it make me ludicrous?

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't think anyone would dispute him being the Jets best player. But if we can spend months complaining about 20 and 22 year olds then I think it's fair to say, a team leader, that in the last month has been the centerpiece of one of the worst 1st lines in the league is playing poorly.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Sorry folks...like I said, I knew that I would get piled on by many. And of course no problem with people defending him, but I cannot believe the rose coloured glasses that are looking beyond his horrible play inside our blue line.

Our #1 Centre shouldn’t be our worst defender of the 4 Centres we have...and quite clearly he is.

I do love him on the team and know he will rectify his issues, but was just not sure why he was escaping any criticism in here.

Way back when I played the game we were expected to compete and work hard at both ends of the rink. I guess that’s fine if you think he is doing just that...we have differing opinions, no biggie.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheifele is fully capable of locking things up and being a rock defensively which is why I think many are frustrated with him atm. I don't think playing with Wheeler is helping as Blake is prone to lazy play in his own end. I would like to see him play with Laine and Ehelers (When he gets back) as it will force Mark to be more conscientious of his own end and really buckle down.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Best player on the team no question about it and I'm confident that he'll be on top of his game when playoffs start, but lately he (and the whole first line) has definitely not been playing with the effort a team leader and a player who averages over 22min TOI per game should. Not that I'm very worried about it, but an unbreakable first line with a guaranteed ~20min TOI every game playing with inconsistent effort could potentially effect the team morale.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
- top 15 player
- linemate one spot back in top 15 list
- faceoffs are 46% - could be improved but is in line with other "greats" such as McDavid and Malkin
- current at a +16, and has 32 PIM, nothing to sneeze at
I like Scheifele a bunch. I think he’s a great player who is slumping in his overall play right now but when you say top 15 list do you mean in scoring, or on your arbitrary ranking? His plus/minus and PIMs are completely irrelevant to his defensive play and should be entirely ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad